Skip to main content

A Cooking Class

Okay here I sit at 2 a.m. wide awake...jeg lag you suck!!!  Funny how it works - last night I slept for 11 hours which is unheard of.  Tonight I am wide awake.  So instead of wildly making plans for new trips (you have no idea...) I decided to carry on talking about Cambodia. 

While in Battambang I attended a cooking class.  This was a first for me...I do enjoy cooking WHEN I AM IN THE MOOD... while I have thought about attending cooking classes I have never done so. This was an option that our whole group signed up for.  Worth every penny of the $10 fee. 

The class started with a trip to the local market where we purchased the items needed for our class....if you have a weak stomach don't look too closely.  Let's just say our fish were VERY fresh....












We then carried on in our tuk tuks to the family's home where the class was held.   We got all ready in our chef's outfits!!





The chopping and peeling started - we were all given assorted vegetables to prepare.  The menu?  Chicken curry, fish amok and fresh spring rolls.  

Don't we all look cute in our hats?  All ready to slice and dice!!! 


The chicken curry cooking starts in earnest...




The chicken curry was delicious if I say so myself!!!!  Six of us cooked the curry and the other six cooked the amok when we were finished eating the curry....so while the amok was cooking I was entertained with this crew...








I climbed into the tuk tuk with them and enjoyed what was to become the first of a few Angkor beers during my time in Cambodia.  I am not a beer drinker but those Angkor (and Cambodia) beers went down nicely. 

The amok was delicious.  We all put one together with our own signature on it - trouble was a few of us couldn't find our own so we said to hell with it and grabbed whatever!!!  Those are little banana leaf parcels....this one looks similar to the one I made...pretty wonky!!!  Mine had an L made from the red pepper but oh well X marks the spot!!! 


We then made fresh Spring rolls.  Which was fun as earlier that day we had seen how the rice wrappers were made.  





Delish!!!!!!  (I had already eaten one at this point....:) 

We were sent home with a complimentary recipe book of all the dishes we had made plus others......now whether I will use it is a big question but I am so glad I have it.  What a great evening and one we talked about for the rest of the tour.  I will definitely attend cooking classes while traveling in the future. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A walk from Westminster to St Paul's Cathedral

I have decided to put the Thames Path on hold until I am back in London next month and we have more Spring like weather...I will be going into a more rural area that is prone to flooding as well.  I am staying at about five miles maximum a day as well...my knees and feet have been giving me major grief so I am not pushing myself. However that doesn't mean I don't want to walk.  One of my favourite British Walking Federation walks is one that starts at Westminster tube station and covers 10km to St Katherines Docks just east of the Tower of London.  Yesterday I walked as far as St Paul's and will do the rest of the walk in the next couple of days.  Normally I do this entire 10 km walk my first day in London but not this time... So here are some of the highlights along the way....what a gorgeous day it was.  A different view of Big Ben Can you believe this was my first time on Parliament Square Another hero on Parliament Square Classic ...

The Colourful houses of Mazatlan, Mexico

Well this isn't even Throwback Thursday and I am reminiscing about my (all too short) week in Mazatlan, Mexcico in January of 2010.  It was one of my best holidays EVER.  I stayed in a delightful little hotel called La Siesta which was on the waterfront in the central part of town.(known as centro) overlooking the ocean.   I walked around the town photographing buildings, ocean views, dogs....visited the Mercado, attended a fantastic Flamenco dance performance in the restored Teatro (theatre), toasted the sunset with a beer from my balcony every evening and ate at some wonderful restaurants.  I also took a couple of day trips which were okay but my time in Mazatlan overshadowed anything else I did. My one foray into the Gold (tourist) Zone left me horrified and scampering back to my beloved Centro.  And did I mention I did this as a solo trip?  Mexico has had a lot of bad press lately and while there ARE bad things going on there I still believe the average...

Cowboys and Outlaws in the Big Muddy of Saskatchewan

One of the (very) few advantages of being stuck at home during this pandemic has been an opportunity to see more of my home province of Saskatchewan.  Last summer and fall not only did I do a couple of day trips with friends but I took four day tours with Engelheim transport, a local Regina company.   I have to admit my favourite day out was the "Big Muddy Valley and Outlaws" tour. While I had been to the Big Muddy previously many years back I was eager to revisit and learn more of its history.   So in early October, I hopped on board and off we went.  The bus is only booked to half capacity so it was easy to social distance, hand gel was a must each time we boarded the bus,  masks were required when you got on and off the bus and in any buildings we visited.  I felt totally safe and oh my, it was so good to have an adventure!!  Despite the name the Big Muddy isn't a big huge puddle of mud but a valley of badlands that were formed from a glac...