Skip to main content

An indepth look at Phnom Penh

I throughly enjoyed my day tour of Phnom Penh today.  It was free and I was the only participant!  Monton (I remembered his name by thinking of Montana without the "a"!!) was an excellent guide.  We started off on cyclos which are bikes with a seat at the front to sit.  They are not as popular as they once were due to remorks (tuk tuks) which are a motorcycle with a carriage attached that can hold up to four or five people.  Much faster!  Apparently there are still about 500 in the city that mostly cater to tourists.   It was fun but the poor fellow hauling me had a tooth ache so we switched cyclos as I was too heavy.  I was a bit embarassed but oh well - I am sure there are heavier tourists than me.  I know there are!!! 

First of all we drove by the Royal Palace which of course I've seen a few times however I didn't go this side of the park and what can I say...pigeons!!! 



From there we drove further south to the Friendship Monument that was put up by Vietnam (it was trashed and rebuilt) and the Independence monument built in 1954 after they became "free" of France.

On to Wat Phomn through interesting traffic.  It was a little scary at times being so far down and vulnerable.  Hard to believe in such a poor country but tons of Lexus and other SUV types - I've even seen a hummer.  Driven by government types and rich businessmen of course.  And let's not forget the motorbikes.  Phnom Penh has 2 million residents and 1 million motorbikes so that will give you an idea.  There is no public transit if you can believe it so people have to buy a motorbike (about 1800 US for a new one but the majority buy a used one through the bank) or take a remork.   Wat Phomn was interesting - many people come here to pray for luck and bring offerings so it was quite the busy place. 

The cyclo guys - the poor one on the left drove me. 




We then said goodbye to the cyclo drivers and off we went in a van out to a fishing village.  It was quite a way out so Monton stopped and got us fresh coconuts to drink.  We arrived at the fishing village and I was speechless.  I've seen extreme poverty but this was overwhelming.  The people here fish and then gut and scale/skin the fish and then dry it and sell it to the market.  The stench was overpowering and the place was absolutely filthy.  People lived in horrible shacks and worked like dogs and that was their life.  I said hello to a little girl and her pretty little face lit up and I nearly lost it thinking of how dim her future is.  If the children do go to school it is only to about age 8 and then they help the parents.  I've seen poverty in India from the windows of the van but I have never walked through a poor village like this one avoiding all the crap that is around and seeing their homes.  I had to be respectful and not take too many photos and no close ups but here is a taste of how they live.

Gutting and cleaning the fish - she does this from 3 a.m. until sunset.  So no one should complain about THEIR job!

Drying the fish. 



Homes on the river

 
..
Then on to the Central market which was housed in a beautiful building.  I did buy myself ANOTHER t-shirt for two dollars as well as a couple of little things but it was too busy and too hot and I did not really enjoy myself.  I think I am "marketed" and "shopped" out and I really did not buy that much. 

Then it was time for lunch and we went to a NGO sponsored cafe.  Former street children are trained to be servers and/or cooks.  I got a free lunch up to $7 so I ordered my last fish amok with a fresh pineapple juice.  Very good.  It was nice to visit someplace like this - we visited a similar place in Sinnoukville.  It cost a bit more but I would rather spend more money and know I am helping to make a better life for someone. 

We then went to the Russian market - named that only because it used to have Russian goods. Now like everywhere it's all made in China!!  I had half an hour to walk around and was done in less than half that with no purchase.  It was very dark and dingy and I did not enjoy it at all but it's on the "tourist list".

We then went to see a place that teaches kids classical dance.  Due to crazy traffic we arrived half way through the performance.  It was interesting.  These children are learning for free but of course have to be good and also show interest in it.  The Khmer Rouge destroyed the culture - like everything else they destroyed so slowly it is coming back.  There was a group that was obviously on a photo tour and were madly taking photos.  They kept checking their photos and weren't really watching the dancing nor in the moment to enjoy it.  Their lens were something else - this one woman was hauling two huge camera/lens combos.  Not envious at all - would not want to haul that stuff around.  Although I must admit when I am out with just my point and shoot and someone hauls out their DSLR I feel like saying "I have one of those too"  as I feel photographically inadequate!!!  Anyway it got a bit boring after a while as the performance was over and they were just practicing.  So we left.



We then drove to the river and walked along it.  Then I was taken back to my hotel.  All my drivers and excellent guide were tipped generously - you need nerves of steel to drive in this city and Monton was amazing.  As all guides he is university educated and his English is excellent.  He has an 8 month old baby son and they plan to have one more child in three or four years and that is it as he wants his children to be educated and have a great life. 

Off to Happy Herb's pizza for supper - a small cheese pizza and my last Angkor beer.  I didn't ask for the extra herbs in mine (yes they are available...if you get my drift..) as I needed my wits about me to pack tonight.

Singapore tomorrow!!! 


Monton

Comments

Anthony Hopper said…
Great blog post...Great photos!

Popular posts from this blog

A walk from Westminster to St Paul's Cathedral

I have decided to put the Thames Path on hold until I am back in London next month and we have more Spring like weather...I will be going into a more rural area that is prone to flooding as well.  I am staying at about five miles maximum a day as well...my knees and feet have been giving me major grief so I am not pushing myself. However that doesn't mean I don't want to walk.  One of my favourite British Walking Federation walks is one that starts at Westminster tube station and covers 10km to St Katherines Docks just east of the Tower of London.  Yesterday I walked as far as St Paul's and will do the rest of the walk in the next couple of days.  Normally I do this entire 10 km walk my first day in London but not this time... So here are some of the highlights along the way....what a gorgeous day it was.  A different view of Big Ben Can you believe this was my first time on Parliament Square Another hero on Parliament Square Classic ...

The Colourful houses of Mazatlan, Mexico

Well this isn't even Throwback Thursday and I am reminiscing about my (all too short) week in Mazatlan, Mexcico in January of 2010.  It was one of my best holidays EVER.  I stayed in a delightful little hotel called La Siesta which was on the waterfront in the central part of town.(known as centro) overlooking the ocean.   I walked around the town photographing buildings, ocean views, dogs....visited the Mercado, attended a fantastic Flamenco dance performance in the restored Teatro (theatre), toasted the sunset with a beer from my balcony every evening and ate at some wonderful restaurants.  I also took a couple of day trips which were okay but my time in Mazatlan overshadowed anything else I did. My one foray into the Gold (tourist) Zone left me horrified and scampering back to my beloved Centro.  And did I mention I did this as a solo trip?  Mexico has had a lot of bad press lately and while there ARE bad things going on there I still believe the average...

Cowboys and Outlaws in the Big Muddy of Saskatchewan

One of the (very) few advantages of being stuck at home during this pandemic has been an opportunity to see more of my home province of Saskatchewan.  Last summer and fall not only did I do a couple of day trips with friends but I took four day tours with Engelheim transport, a local Regina company.   I have to admit my favourite day out was the "Big Muddy Valley and Outlaws" tour. While I had been to the Big Muddy previously many years back I was eager to revisit and learn more of its history.   So in early October, I hopped on board and off we went.  The bus is only booked to half capacity so it was easy to social distance, hand gel was a must each time we boarded the bus,  masks were required when you got on and off the bus and in any buildings we visited.  I felt totally safe and oh my, it was so good to have an adventure!!  Despite the name the Big Muddy isn't a big huge puddle of mud but a valley of badlands that were formed from a glac...