Skip to main content

I lived in a Yellow Submarine!

I had shared with you on my blog a few months back that I had booked the Yellow Submarine room at the Wanderlust hotel in Singapore.

I enjoyed it so much and it was probably one of the most unique hotels I've ever stayed in - if not the most unique.  What a lovely comfortable bed!!   The bed was also central control - TV, lights - everything was controlled from the bed.    The bathroom had it's own glass "pod" and so did the toilet.   I had read in the reviews on Trip Advisor that some people thought there wasn't enough room but my suitcase fit into the clothes cupboard and bits and pieces fitted along the thin counter under the windows.  To complete the room -  a wonderfully huge claw footed tub which I thoroughly enjoyed one evening. 




Shower was closest to the bed rather than the toilet which I found a bit odd. 

As you can tell I had been happily lounging on my bed.

Everything yellow!!! 

I am glad I chose to stay at the end of my trip and not the beginning.  I would not want to be too tired and jetlagged accidentally step off the bed and miss the two steps - instant broken leg!!  It was quite a drop. 

Breakfast was included which consisted of a complimentary breakfast buffet with breads, cereals, fresh juice, coffee, yogurt and apples and oranges.  As well you could choose from one of three breakfast entrees.  One morning I chose the pancakes with maple bacon and the other day an English breakfast with bacon, eggs, mushrooms, grilled tomatoes, etc.   The other entree was a bowl of fresh tropical fruit enfused with honey - yes I was sorely tempted with that one too...as well you were given a warm croissant or pain au chocolate. The first morning we were given both and the second day we had to make a choice.  Unfortunately the first morning I was still not feeling well so did not really do the wonderful breakfast justice however I made up for it the second morning! 


Nespresso machine, Ipod dock  - my iphone fit in there but would not play so guess ipod only?

The colourful hallway on the second floor - my room is at the end.  Every room was brightly coloured with a theme!!! 

I also had a Nespresso machine in my room with complimentary coffee so I fixed myself an espresso a couple of times.  Fun!  Also there was free access to the mini bar with unlimited bottles of water and coke...no booze unfortunately!!

I guess the only downside was the noise.  The hotel is situated on Dickson Street in Little India.  I was there on the weekend when hundreds or thousands? of Indian men congregate and party it up.  They come from all over Singapore and Malaysia for a little taste of "home" at the weekend.  When the taxi pulled into the area the taxi driver told me that a lot of Indian men come to Little India for the weekend and it's very noisy.  No kidding!  The hotel had a pair of earplugs beside the bed for me with a note apologizing for the noise!!!   It was "interesting" walking to the MRT in the morning with drunk men passed out in doorways and lurking around corners.  If I ever stayed at the Wanderlust Hotel again or anywhere in Little India for that matter I would avoid the weekend....those men know how to party!!! 

That said, I did enjoy Little India.  I called it "India Light".  You had the food and the atmosphere and the Indian people but not the begging, filth or cows wandering in the road!!!  It is the most colourful and ethnic part of Singapore that I have seen anyway.  Definitely a must see in Singapore!!! 

I guess my only complaint would be that the room had no bar soap.  No biggie - they had complimentary shower gel, shampoo and conditioner.  I do like a bar of soap rather than shower gel though.  Oh well, I lived!!!

It was NOT cheap but a lovely splurge. Perhaps people used to large rooms would have been disappointed (good luck finding a large room in Singapore!) but when you travel cheap like I do this was a real treat and I felt like I was in the lap of luxury. 

I was in one of the Pantone rooms on the second floor - the prices go up as you go higher - there is a treehouse room on the fourth floor!!!  The Yellow Submarine room was $10 SD more than the other Pantone rooms but being a Beatles fanatic I just had to stay in it!!!   I video taped the Yellow Submarine neon sign as I sang "Yellow Submarine" but I will spare you the video!!!

I highly recommend this hotel if you are looking for something different. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Peeing on fish or a fish out of water

Well this morning we headed off by boat to Siem Reap.  Due to the low water on the Tonie Sap Lake (more like a river until near the end of the trip when it widened considerably) the trip would be an 8 hour one... It was supposed to be boring but ended up as anything but...in no certain order...let's see.... We had a rest stop (turned out to be the only one) along the way and the loo was just a hole over the lake and there were fish circling around underneath.  Yes it was just a hole in the floor...you definitely had someone watch your stuff while you went in or one false move and your camera/purse or whatever would be in the lake.  The fish either like the warm pee coming in or they are pervs and like to see ladies parts.  We were just a few minutes out when all of a sudden there was something flying over me and jumping all over the floor - a little fish!  Guess he wanted to join the tour.  Roger reached down and scooped him up while I hooted and hollered.  Okay it wasn&#

A walk along the coffin trail (and a couple of lakes) in the Lake District

While in the Lake District I wanted to do some light walking but not heavy duty hiking where I could easily get lost and my body not found for days partially eaten by hungry...sheep?  Anyway, you get the drift...not too grueling and safe for a solo walker.  I get a bit nervous when I am too far from civilization. There are lots of books about walking in the Lake District but they seem to be all about walking the fells in remote places...neither Thelma nor I fancied that.  While browsing in the post office/shop in Ambleside one day (if you are ever in Ambleside you must go there - a treasure!) I found a stand of walk descriptions on post cards.  And there I found my walk.  After all who could resist a stroll on the "coffin trail" in William Wordsworth country... I took a look and thought hmm...cafe along the route...that works for me. (with at least the security of knowing there was an available "loo" along the way.)  Okay, I may not have totally followed the

The highlights of my Fall 2023 trip

I'm back home after a great six weeks away. This was a "short" trip for me.  So here we go with an overview of my trip.   London London for me is always a good idea.  I fell in love with it back in the mid 70's and it's been calling me back ever since. Some of the best things in my life have happened in London.  When I learned my two Oz friends Loraine and Linda were going to be in London in the fall I knew I had to be there.  And what fun we had!!  Of course, I did loads of other things as well.  I spent two weeks there from mid September until very early October and then back again for four nights at the end of October before flying home.   After over five years (delayed for two and a half years thanks to Covid) of walking, I finally finished the 126 km Capital Ring.  The picture above is taken at the end of my walk and where I started in May of 2018 at the main door of Streatham Common station just steps from my B and B.  What a walk!  I got to see so much more