Skip to main content

Staying with a Cambodian family

One of the highlights of my Intrepid tour in Cambodia in the winter of 2013 was the opportunity to have a homestay with a local family for one night.  

We stayed in the home of our local guide's mother-in-law - the house was built in 2000 so was quite new and very clean.  All cooking was done below and we slept in the house above.  I am not sure where our host slept -at her daughter and son-in-law's home I suspect.  Having guests overnight is not a nightly occurrence for them but it certainly provides our host with a welcome supplement to her income.  Intrepid is very committed to supporting local people and businesses.

Here is a picture of where we stayed.  







After a very welcome cold drink we headed out on a walk which ended in a field watching the sunset over a pond. Here are a few of the sights we saw on the walk...










Local cows having a good gossip


Then it was back to the house for a lovely home-cooked meal before turning into bed at 8 p.m. Well, there was nothing else to do...  The upstairs was an open concept with curtains separating small areas containing two single mattresses - very thin mattresses I might add.  I quickly got into my jammies, located my flashlight for later, crawled under my mosquito net and waited for sleep to take me. Every time I moved the floor creaked and I am a very restless waiting to fall asleep/sleeper.  The household had two dogs - not pets...but watchdogs.  In the distance I could hear a small dog yapping and then one of the household dogs joined in and then another dog down the road howled backup.  I suddenly got the giggles which was certainly not helped when one of the others in the group said in an exasperated voice "oh for God's sake" at the nonstop barking and someone else had a bout of flatulence. I was shaking with laughter and had to put my hand over my mouth to not laugh out loud - sleep was no longer an option.  I then realized all that laughter had stirred my bladder up so I then had to locate my flashlight, ease myself up (NOT easy when you have arthritic knees...let's not go into detail but my ascent was not quiet...and I just don't mean my knees creaking..) and proceed down the "hallway" flashlight on the floor to locate my shoes.  Oh yes we had to take our shoes off and leave them right by the door - not any lower or the dogs would steal them.  So I hobbled down the stairs which I am sure was not a pretty sight but luckily there was no one to see it.  Off to the bathroom which was in the yard....thank goodness there was a western-style toilet...stepping around sleeping dogs (they had given up the barking by then)   Then back up the stairs and repeating.  I had to be careful I pulled back the right curtain and did not plop myself on some poor sleeping soul!!! Luckily it was a full moon so the flashlight was not necessary outside - otherwise it would have been worse as no lighting anywhere.  Back to bed to lay there - although as my unfortunate "roommate" was Thyda I was informed that yes I did snore so obviously I did sleep at some point.  

The bladder did its thing again so repeat as above at about 5 a.m.  Mine has the wonderful habit of figuring out the worst possible time for me to find my way to a loo and says "hello, it's me again".  Just after this, the rooster competition started with one down the road doing its thing and the family one showing off his 'cock a doodle doos'.  Although it sounded like he was strangling at the end - I would definitely vote for the other rooster.  Finally about 6 a.m. I heard voices so I quickly dressed (after a quick clean-up with antibacterial wipes as I had missed the "memo" about putting a towel in your overnight bag and having a bucket shower which might have been kind of cool in more ways than one ) and headed downstairs for coffee.  I survived the night!!  We used bottled water to brush our teeth  - brushed our teeth in the yard. It felt strange spitting toothpaste and water onto the ground!! (I know the campers are laughing at me right now)   I can't even remember what breakfast was...I think I was still either in shock or overtired.  We had an hour or two before we headed on to the coast so I walked around the area a bit taking photographs. 

Breakfast - toilet and "shower" (bucket provided) building behind and yes one of the dogs who had provided our entertainment the night before. 

Family home opposite the homestay






Our host family was absolutely lovely and I now realize how lucky I was to experience a stay in a home in the Cambodian countryside.  I think we all have experiences has us thinking "why the h*ll am I doing this..and I paid money to do it?"but in retrospect, it becomes a treasured memory.  This was one of these!! 












Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Peeing on fish or a fish out of water

Well this morning we headed off by boat to Siem Reap.  Due to the low water on the Tonie Sap Lake (more like a river until near the end of the trip when it widened considerably) the trip would be an 8 hour one... It was supposed to be boring but ended up as anything but...in no certain order...let's see.... We had a rest stop (turned out to be the only one) along the way and the loo was just a hole over the lake and there were fish circling around underneath.  Yes it was just a hole in the floor...you definitely had someone watch your stuff while you went in or one false move and your camera/purse or whatever would be in the lake.  The fish either like the warm pee coming in or they are pervs and like to see ladies parts.  We were just a few minutes out when all of a sudden there was something flying over me and jumping all over the floor - a little fish!  Guess he wanted to join the tour.  Roger reached down and scooped him up while I hooted and hollered.  Okay it wasn&#

A walk along the coffin trail (and a couple of lakes) in the Lake District

While in the Lake District I wanted to do some light walking but not heavy duty hiking where I could easily get lost and my body not found for days partially eaten by hungry...sheep?  Anyway, you get the drift...not too grueling and safe for a solo walker.  I get a bit nervous when I am too far from civilization. There are lots of books about walking in the Lake District but they seem to be all about walking the fells in remote places...neither Thelma nor I fancied that.  While browsing in the post office/shop in Ambleside one day (if you are ever in Ambleside you must go there - a treasure!) I found a stand of walk descriptions on post cards.  And there I found my walk.  After all who could resist a stroll on the "coffin trail" in William Wordsworth country... I took a look and thought hmm...cafe along the route...that works for me. (with at least the security of knowing there was an available "loo" along the way.)  Okay, I may not have totally followed the

The highlights of my Fall 2023 trip

I'm back home after a great six weeks away. This was a "short" trip for me.  So here we go with an overview of my trip.   London London for me is always a good idea.  I fell in love with it back in the mid 70's and it's been calling me back ever since. Some of the best things in my life have happened in London.  When I learned my two Oz friends Loraine and Linda were going to be in London in the fall I knew I had to be there.  And what fun we had!!  Of course, I did loads of other things as well.  I spent two weeks there from mid September until very early October and then back again for four nights at the end of October before flying home.   After over five years (delayed for two and a half years thanks to Covid) of walking, I finally finished the 126 km Capital Ring.  The picture above is taken at the end of my walk and where I started in May of 2018 at the main door of Streatham Common station just steps from my B and B.  What a walk!  I got to see so much more