Skip to main content

Destination of the week - Santa Monica, California!

As I look out the window at this dull cold (will Spring ever get here?) Sunday morning my thoughts can't help but turn to warm sunny holidays.  One of my favourite places without a doubt is Southern California.  Would I want to live there?  No thanks but it is sure fun to visit.  This week I will highlight one of my favourite places to stay. 

I stayed in Santa Monica at the end of a couple of weeks in California in the fall of 2007.   The HI-Santa Monica was fantastic.  Clean and had everything I wanted AND two blocks from the beach!  I would stay there again in a heartbeat.

One of the highlights?  Heading over to Jinky's Cafe for breakfast the first morning and while enjoying my delicious pumpkin pancakes who walks in but Ron Howard!!!  Okay George Clooney would have been WAY more exciting but I will take whatever Hollywood star I can get.  I was certain it was him and a quick internet search back at the hotel confirmed it.  And my stay there just got better and better!!!  At the end of my stay I took the blue bus off to LAX and back home.

Santa Monica...I really really like you and I'll be back!!!  Enjoy my time in Santa Monica through, as always, through my pictures....

Santa Monica Pier


On the pier

Some "cool" California kids
 
Multi-purpose trail between Santa Monica and Venice Beach

Venice Beach - you see everything here!!!

Another view of Venice Beach



Another killer California sunset




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A walk from Westminster to St Paul's Cathedral

I have decided to put the Thames Path on hold until I am back in London next month and we have more Spring like weather...I will be going into a more rural area that is prone to flooding as well.  I am staying at about five miles maximum a day as well...my knees and feet have been giving me major grief so I am not pushing myself. However that doesn't mean I don't want to walk.  One of my favourite British Walking Federation walks is one that starts at Westminster tube station and covers 10km to St Katherines Docks just east of the Tower of London.  Yesterday I walked as far as St Paul's and will do the rest of the walk in the next couple of days.  Normally I do this entire 10 km walk my first day in London but not this time... So here are some of the highlights along the way....what a gorgeous day it was.  A different view of Big Ben Can you believe this was my first time on Parliament Square Another hero on Parliament Square Classic ...

The Colourful houses of Mazatlan, Mexico

Well this isn't even Throwback Thursday and I am reminiscing about my (all too short) week in Mazatlan, Mexcico in January of 2010.  It was one of my best holidays EVER.  I stayed in a delightful little hotel called La Siesta which was on the waterfront in the central part of town.(known as centro) overlooking the ocean.   I walked around the town photographing buildings, ocean views, dogs....visited the Mercado, attended a fantastic Flamenco dance performance in the restored Teatro (theatre), toasted the sunset with a beer from my balcony every evening and ate at some wonderful restaurants.  I also took a couple of day trips which were okay but my time in Mazatlan overshadowed anything else I did. My one foray into the Gold (tourist) Zone left me horrified and scampering back to my beloved Centro.  And did I mention I did this as a solo trip?  Mexico has had a lot of bad press lately and while there ARE bad things going on there I still believe the average...

Cowboys and Outlaws in the Big Muddy of Saskatchewan

One of the (very) few advantages of being stuck at home during this pandemic has been an opportunity to see more of my home province of Saskatchewan.  Last summer and fall not only did I do a couple of day trips with friends but I took four day tours with Engelheim transport, a local Regina company.   I have to admit my favourite day out was the "Big Muddy Valley and Outlaws" tour. While I had been to the Big Muddy previously many years back I was eager to revisit and learn more of its history.   So in early October, I hopped on board and off we went.  The bus is only booked to half capacity so it was easy to social distance, hand gel was a must each time we boarded the bus,  masks were required when you got on and off the bus and in any buildings we visited.  I felt totally safe and oh my, it was so good to have an adventure!!  Despite the name the Big Muddy isn't a big huge puddle of mud but a valley of badlands that were formed from a glac...