Skip to main content

Sunshine in Edinburgh

We all headed off in the direction of Edinburgh on Tuesday morning - June got off in Kinross to visit family and Robynn and I headed to Edinburgh.  I had booked a room at an airbnb place which turned out to be quite nice.  The only pain...the bathroom was upstairs which made for some careful nightly wanderings.  Not the type of stairs you want to fall down!! 

Robynn and I had a bit of a wander around the area before purchasing some food from the shop opposite. One of the big advantages of airbnb besides the cheaper price and getting to meet the locals is being able to cook your own meals.  Makes life cheaper plus you get to try the local produce - or ready meals in my case.  I heated up a lamb casserole for supper which was nice. 

Becky, the host is very nice and the other people in the house are friendly as well including Ruth, a gal who is attending university.  I love living like this.

Anyway I am supposed to be talking about sunshine in Edinburgh - and shine it did.  I had been in Edinburgh on two occasions previously where I never saw the sun. 

We took the bus to town and walked over to the castle and were in the que to get tickets when I read the interior held mainly military artifacts.  Ugh.  16 pounds for that?  So we carried on along the Royal Mile and walked over to Grassmarket and also Greyfriars Kirk where I visited the graves of Greyfriars Bobby and his master.  Also had to pay homage at Bobby's statue!!!


 We had lunch at Greyfriars pub where I had a mushroom and chicken pie which was just okay. 

We then visited St. Giles Cathedral which was beautiful. 

We wandered along the Royal Mile a bit and then headed over to the New town (from the late 1700's!!) and did some shopping.

Back to Ashley Terrace where we had M & S salads for supper. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A walk from Westminster to St Paul's Cathedral

I have decided to put the Thames Path on hold until I am back in London next month and we have more Spring like weather...I will be going into a more rural area that is prone to flooding as well.  I am staying at about five miles maximum a day as well...my knees and feet have been giving me major grief so I am not pushing myself. However that doesn't mean I don't want to walk.  One of my favourite British Walking Federation walks is one that starts at Westminster tube station and covers 10km to St Katherines Docks just east of the Tower of London.  Yesterday I walked as far as St Paul's and will do the rest of the walk in the next couple of days.  Normally I do this entire 10 km walk my first day in London but not this time... So here are some of the highlights along the way....what a gorgeous day it was.  A different view of Big Ben Can you believe this was my first time on Parliament Square Another hero on Parliament Square Classic ...

The Colourful houses of Mazatlan, Mexico

Well this isn't even Throwback Thursday and I am reminiscing about my (all too short) week in Mazatlan, Mexcico in January of 2010.  It was one of my best holidays EVER.  I stayed in a delightful little hotel called La Siesta which was on the waterfront in the central part of town.(known as centro) overlooking the ocean.   I walked around the town photographing buildings, ocean views, dogs....visited the Mercado, attended a fantastic Flamenco dance performance in the restored Teatro (theatre), toasted the sunset with a beer from my balcony every evening and ate at some wonderful restaurants.  I also took a couple of day trips which were okay but my time in Mazatlan overshadowed anything else I did. My one foray into the Gold (tourist) Zone left me horrified and scampering back to my beloved Centro.  And did I mention I did this as a solo trip?  Mexico has had a lot of bad press lately and while there ARE bad things going on there I still believe the average...

Cowboys and Outlaws in the Big Muddy of Saskatchewan

One of the (very) few advantages of being stuck at home during this pandemic has been an opportunity to see more of my home province of Saskatchewan.  Last summer and fall not only did I do a couple of day trips with friends but I took four day tours with Engelheim transport, a local Regina company.   I have to admit my favourite day out was the "Big Muddy Valley and Outlaws" tour. While I had been to the Big Muddy previously many years back I was eager to revisit and learn more of its history.   So in early October, I hopped on board and off we went.  The bus is only booked to half capacity so it was easy to social distance, hand gel was a must each time we boarded the bus,  masks were required when you got on and off the bus and in any buildings we visited.  I felt totally safe and oh my, it was so good to have an adventure!!  Despite the name the Big Muddy isn't a big huge puddle of mud but a valley of badlands that were formed from a glac...