Skip to main content

Hi from Iceland

Oh Iceland, I think I have a crush on you and we just met a few hours ago!  There is such a familiarity about this place yet strangely different as well.  The first thing that struck me was how it reminded me of northern Canadian towns...Iqualuit and Inuvik spring to mind yet not exactly...Denmark pops in there as does Germany of all places and let's put St Johns, Nfld in too. (must be the bright houses!)  Anyway I do like it.

I am ahead of myself however....this morning I opted for the cooked breakfast and Christine did a find job..almost as good as Simon!  Rosie gave me a hug goodbye - it is like saying goodbye to a friend.  I think I will upgrade to a room with a bathroom next time and Rosie said she would give me a deal.  It's only 8 more pounds a night with loads more room, a double bed besides my private bathroom.  I won't have the lovely view of the park but it is at the back and I won't disturb anyone with my snoring either!!!  I am not finding the bed in the little room (called the Leprechan room) that comfortable anymore as much as I do love that little room.  Anyway I decided I could not face dragging my suitcase on the tube in Monday morning rush hour so I booked a taxi to Heathrow.  Not cheap but totally worth it - guess taking a taxi to the airport is getting to be a habit.  Normally I leave on a Sunday and can get there in no time flat but traffic was crazy being a Monday.  Oh well I had left lots of time. 

The flight left late due to there being fog at Heathrow earlier in the day and flights not getting out on time.  Then the flight attendant forgot our row - we finally got his attention.  Anyway I had wanted an Icelandic donut - sadly the person beside me got the last one so settled for a piece of traditional Icelandic cake - like our matrimonial cake.  There is generally a cost but because we had to wait the cake was "on the house"  Works for me!!! (says she who springs for a taxi to the airport but is delighted at saving 3 Euros for a piece of cake!!) 

I got money out of the ATM at the airport and went to book my fly bus ticket and hoped to get tickets for my voucher for the tours.  Well sadly she would not give them to me as I had mistakenly thrown my print out in the recycling (let's not talk about THAT) and would not take the numbers off my iphone.  Anyhoo...I did get the Fly Bus and we changed buses at the station.  I was able to run in to the ticket office there and they happily printed me off the tickets I need.  So nice of him.  Anyway off I got on the smaller van and got dropped off at the Marina Hotel.  It is very posh but sure doesn't look like it from the outside.   I asked inside and they directed me and I got to Michaels. (he had told me to get the bus to that point)

It was just up one block - well not even a proper block - the roads are tiny.  Anyway I rang the buzzer a couple of times and no answer so looked into the window and the back door was open - looked around and he and Rosa, his Icelandic Sheep dog were in the yard.  So he showed me in and I have a small room but much bigger than Simon's.  It is comfy and much cheaper than a hotel and I am right by the harbour.

I was feeling pretty hungry so he told me a few places to eat and I opted for the Seabaron.  It is the original café on the  harbour and it looks like it on the inside.  Stools that are falling apart with two long wooden tables.  I ordered the lobster soup and there is also the option of fresh fish kebobs - you select the kebob raw and they grill it for you.  I may have to try that next.  Anyway the soup was yummy delish - big hunks of lobster in a creamy sauce with peppers, celery and onions.  Oh my....I just might have to have that again.   It came with fresh bread as well.

  Before I ate I took some photos of the harbour area...



From there I walked over to the 24 hour grocery store and picked up yogurt and bananas for the mornings I have to be out early for tours.  It is always fun grocery shopping in a different country.  I tried not to cringe at the prices.  I am scared to do a conversion but what can you...Iceland is an expensive country.  Michael is really good and directed me to more inexpensive (for here) restaurants and grocery stores. 

Tomorrow I am off on a Golden Circle tour - fingers crossed the weather holds...beautiful sunny sky today.  I didn't get here until 3 and by the time I got settled it was nearly 6.  Michael said he saw the Northern Lights when he was walking Rosa last night!  I am off on a Northern Lights tour tomorrow night so fingers crossed!!! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Peeing on fish or a fish out of water

Well this morning we headed off by boat to Siem Reap.  Due to the low water on the Tonie Sap Lake (more like a river until near the end of the trip when it widened considerably) the trip would be an 8 hour one... It was supposed to be boring but ended up as anything but...in no certain order...let's see.... We had a rest stop (turned out to be the only one) along the way and the loo was just a hole over the lake and there were fish circling around underneath.  Yes it was just a hole in the floor...you definitely had someone watch your stuff while you went in or one false move and your camera/purse or whatever would be in the lake.  The fish either like the warm pee coming in or they are pervs and like to see ladies parts.  We were just a few minutes out when all of a sudden there was something flying over me and jumping all over the floor - a little fish!  Guess he wanted to join the tour.  Roger reached down and scooped him up while I hooted and hollered.  Okay it wasn&#

A walk along the coffin trail (and a couple of lakes) in the Lake District

While in the Lake District I wanted to do some light walking but not heavy duty hiking where I could easily get lost and my body not found for days partially eaten by hungry...sheep?  Anyway, you get the drift...not too grueling and safe for a solo walker.  I get a bit nervous when I am too far from civilization. There are lots of books about walking in the Lake District but they seem to be all about walking the fells in remote places...neither Thelma nor I fancied that.  While browsing in the post office/shop in Ambleside one day (if you are ever in Ambleside you must go there - a treasure!) I found a stand of walk descriptions on post cards.  And there I found my walk.  After all who could resist a stroll on the "coffin trail" in William Wordsworth country... I took a look and thought hmm...cafe along the route...that works for me. (with at least the security of knowing there was an available "loo" along the way.)  Okay, I may not have totally followed the

The highlights of my Fall 2023 trip

I'm back home after a great six weeks away. This was a "short" trip for me.  So here we go with an overview of my trip.   London London for me is always a good idea.  I fell in love with it back in the mid 70's and it's been calling me back ever since. Some of the best things in my life have happened in London.  When I learned my two Oz friends Loraine and Linda were going to be in London in the fall I knew I had to be there.  And what fun we had!!  Of course, I did loads of other things as well.  I spent two weeks there from mid September until very early October and then back again for four nights at the end of October before flying home.   After over five years (delayed for two and a half years thanks to Covid) of walking, I finally finished the 126 km Capital Ring.  The picture above is taken at the end of my walk and where I started in May of 2018 at the main door of Streatham Common station just steps from my B and B.  What a walk!  I got to see so much more