Skip to main content

I saw the lights!

Yes I finally got to see the Northern Lights.  Wow.  At first I was disappointed that the lights were white...I expected green at least!  However....this is my feeble attempt at photographing the lights...


and as you can see they are green! Apparently when the aurora is weak (if that was weak I would love to see strong!) it does not produce enough light for the cones in our eyes to see colour however the camera has no such limitations.  All I know is WOW WOW WOW.   We stood outside the bus and we were surrounded with white light dancing around us everywhere - some of them were beacons that would then change.  At one point it looked like four blocks of light on one side.  Amazing!!!  So something else ticked off the bucket list.  I wish I had gotten better photos but I decided to relax and just be in the moment and enjoy the lights and that I did.  A fellow had his SLR on a tripod and he got awesome shots and the lights were actually green with tinges of yellow and red in them.  The lights started as we were driving but it took a while to find a place to park as the usual place was blocked in with snow......ah yes, snow...

We left the depot at 10 and were back after 1 a.m.  The bus dropped me a fair distance from the  hotel I had been picked up at so a kind English couple (never did find out their name so I call them "Mrs. and Mrs. Orange Parkas") walked with me until I knew where I was going and was half a block away.  They found their place first - not really cool to drop people off at that time of night so far away from their accommodation.  The excuse was the bus would not go down that road - well guess what - a bus from the same tour company (three buses went out together) went down that road a couple of minutes later.  Now Reykjavik has on average one murder a year but I didn't want to the one!!

Some people come to Iceland just to see the lights - they were several on the bus.  To be honest I did not expect to see them and on my first try.  I guess the tour was cancelled the night before and the night before that they were a no show.  I am glad luck was on my side.

I have a nasty cough (I sound like a three pack a dayer) now as a souvenir but oh well - I SAW THE LIGHTS!!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Peeing on fish or a fish out of water

Well this morning we headed off by boat to Siem Reap.  Due to the low water on the Tonie Sap Lake (more like a river until near the end of the trip when it widened considerably) the trip would be an 8 hour one... It was supposed to be boring but ended up as anything but...in no certain order...let's see.... We had a rest stop (turned out to be the only one) along the way and the loo was just a hole over the lake and there were fish circling around underneath.  Yes it was just a hole in the floor...you definitely had someone watch your stuff while you went in or one false move and your camera/purse or whatever would be in the lake.  The fish either like the warm pee coming in or they are pervs and like to see ladies parts.  We were just a few minutes out when all of a sudden there was something flying over me and jumping all over the floor - a little fish!  Guess he wanted to join the tour.  Roger reached down and scooped him up while I hooted and hollered.  Okay it wasn&#

A walk along the coffin trail (and a couple of lakes) in the Lake District

While in the Lake District I wanted to do some light walking but not heavy duty hiking where I could easily get lost and my body not found for days partially eaten by hungry...sheep?  Anyway, you get the drift...not too grueling and safe for a solo walker.  I get a bit nervous when I am too far from civilization. There are lots of books about walking in the Lake District but they seem to be all about walking the fells in remote places...neither Thelma nor I fancied that.  While browsing in the post office/shop in Ambleside one day (if you are ever in Ambleside you must go there - a treasure!) I found a stand of walk descriptions on post cards.  And there I found my walk.  After all who could resist a stroll on the "coffin trail" in William Wordsworth country... I took a look and thought hmm...cafe along the route...that works for me. (with at least the security of knowing there was an available "loo" along the way.)  Okay, I may not have totally followed the

The highlights of my Fall 2023 trip

I'm back home after a great six weeks away. This was a "short" trip for me.  So here we go with an overview of my trip.   London London for me is always a good idea.  I fell in love with it back in the mid 70's and it's been calling me back ever since. Some of the best things in my life have happened in London.  When I learned my two Oz friends Loraine and Linda were going to be in London in the fall I knew I had to be there.  And what fun we had!!  Of course, I did loads of other things as well.  I spent two weeks there from mid September until very early October and then back again for four nights at the end of October before flying home.   After over five years (delayed for two and a half years thanks to Covid) of walking, I finally finished the 126 km Capital Ring.  The picture above is taken at the end of my walk and where I started in May of 2018 at the main door of Streatham Common station just steps from my B and B.  What a walk!  I got to see so much more