Skip to main content

St James Park

It's no secret that I love London...heck I am in love with London...when someone asks me my favourite place in the world I answer "London" with absolutely no hesitation.  I wasn't feeling the intense love this time around due to not feeling well at all  - but that's happened before (1999/2000 springs to mind immediately - that involved a hospital visit) and the love still goes on.  As I mentioned in a previous post I did feel the love again when I walked on to Waterloo Bridge at sunset and the heart went pitter patter....

My favourite part of London is ironically the most touristy part.  I love the area around St James Park and Trafalgar Square.  St James Park is the first place I make a beeline to - then I know I'm in London.  I find myself drawn to the area numerous times during the trip...I've had more than my share of "cuppas" at Cafe in the Crypt in St Martins-in-the-Field church.

So here is my post paying homage to one of my very favourite places to be in the world...a place I never grow tired of and one I could spend hours at - just sitting on a bench on a fine day watching life go by.

St James Park was established as a park in 1603 so it's been around a very long time.  It's bordered on one end by Buckingham Palace and the other end by the Palace of Whitehall complete with horseguards.  Along it's sides are Threadneedle street and the other St James Palace. 



St James Park has a lot of waterfowl of all types

Pelican yoga

Brightly decorated lawn chairs - you don't see these in the winter!

Now that the pigeons have been "kicked out" of Trafalgar Square  St James Park is one of their favourite haunts


Glimpses of Whitehall and the London Eye

Whitehall Palace from the bridge

I could sit on one of these benches for ages


The waterfowl aren't adverse to any food either....this was taken in the winter...St James Park is a joy year round.

Buckingham Palace from the bridge

One of St James Parks four legged residents


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A walk from Westminster to St Paul's Cathedral

I have decided to put the Thames Path on hold until I am back in London next month and we have more Spring like weather...I will be going into a more rural area that is prone to flooding as well.  I am staying at about five miles maximum a day as well...my knees and feet have been giving me major grief so I am not pushing myself. However that doesn't mean I don't want to walk.  One of my favourite British Walking Federation walks is one that starts at Westminster tube station and covers 10km to St Katherines Docks just east of the Tower of London.  Yesterday I walked as far as St Paul's and will do the rest of the walk in the next couple of days.  Normally I do this entire 10 km walk my first day in London but not this time... So here are some of the highlights along the way....what a gorgeous day it was.  A different view of Big Ben Can you believe this was my first time on Parliament Square Another hero on Parliament Square Classic ...

The Colourful houses of Mazatlan, Mexico

Well this isn't even Throwback Thursday and I am reminiscing about my (all too short) week in Mazatlan, Mexcico in January of 2010.  It was one of my best holidays EVER.  I stayed in a delightful little hotel called La Siesta which was on the waterfront in the central part of town.(known as centro) overlooking the ocean.   I walked around the town photographing buildings, ocean views, dogs....visited the Mercado, attended a fantastic Flamenco dance performance in the restored Teatro (theatre), toasted the sunset with a beer from my balcony every evening and ate at some wonderful restaurants.  I also took a couple of day trips which were okay but my time in Mazatlan overshadowed anything else I did. My one foray into the Gold (tourist) Zone left me horrified and scampering back to my beloved Centro.  And did I mention I did this as a solo trip?  Mexico has had a lot of bad press lately and while there ARE bad things going on there I still believe the average...

Cowboys and Outlaws in the Big Muddy of Saskatchewan

One of the (very) few advantages of being stuck at home during this pandemic has been an opportunity to see more of my home province of Saskatchewan.  Last summer and fall not only did I do a couple of day trips with friends but I took four day tours with Engelheim transport, a local Regina company.   I have to admit my favourite day out was the "Big Muddy Valley and Outlaws" tour. While I had been to the Big Muddy previously many years back I was eager to revisit and learn more of its history.   So in early October, I hopped on board and off we went.  The bus is only booked to half capacity so it was easy to social distance, hand gel was a must each time we boarded the bus,  masks were required when you got on and off the bus and in any buildings we visited.  I felt totally safe and oh my, it was so good to have an adventure!!  Despite the name the Big Muddy isn't a big huge puddle of mud but a valley of badlands that were formed from a glac...