Skip to main content

The French Quarter of New Orleans

 
I have been to New Orleans three times now - I guess you could say I kind of like it!!   New Orleans was founded in 1718 by French Canadian naval officer Jean Baptiste Bienville on a grid of 70 squares,   Today this is prime tourist turf called the French Quarter.

In this post I will be highlighting the French Quarter as that is where most tourists hang out . When I left New Orleans I thought "okay three times should be enough"  Guess what...it isn't!!!  Someday Nawlins I will be back but after three trips in January I think I will choose to go at a different time of year. (not summer though!) 

So here are some of the photo highlights of this very busy part of the Big Easy. 



St Louis Cathedral in Jackson Square - the original church was built in 1727. 

With statue of Andrew Jackson in front

At the weekend the square is filled with artists selling their wares as well as all kinds of fortune tellers
Let's visit the French Market!

Hmmm...maybe not...I did try alligator sausage at the buffet in Biloxi - one bite was enough.  It tasted okay but I could not get past the idea of eating an alligator. (ewwwww....) 


They sell everything here from beautiful handcrafted jewellery and pottery to cheap t-shirts and keychains.  A fun place to visit.
Oscar got quite a bit of our money - we ended up going to see him every day and purchasing something.  Very unique jewellry!  And he has quite the unique personality as well.  A local treasure.  
Let's stretch our legs a bit and walk along the Mississippi...usually there are paddleboats on the river but not today
The Immigrant monument


Okay I think it's time to take a breather at Café Beignet on Royal St. and have a beignet or two... with a café au lait...

 

Now that we have a serious sugar high going on let's do some serious wandering around the streets of the Quarter....particularly Bourbon Street.....
 
 






There is always music playing in New Orleans - a band will set up and start playing on a corner or some fellow will do the following...have some dollar bills in your pockets! 




They even get their dogs in on the game!!! 


 
There is a never a dull moment in the French Quarter! 
 
Here are a couple of examples of the architecture found in the French Quarter...the wrought iron "lace" balconies are stunning.
 

Yes you can take a carriage ride around the Quarter as well - but be prepared to pay big bucks!!!
 

This place sells some pretty wild stuff including voodoo dolls and all kinds of things I can't even begin to understand, sadly photography was not allowed. 
And you can't spend time in the French Quarter without experiencing one of its many bars.  At night especially the music beckons you through the doorways.

We opted for the very touristy Pat O'Briens and enjoyed the dueling piano players and singing along.  I think we were there for about four hours at least and got through a couple of big hurricanes - rum and fruit punch, etc.  (my motto is "rum is yum")

Monty looks a little worse for wear on his second Hurricane.
 While you won't see the real New Orleans in the French Quarter it is a fun place to hang out and as I always say to people...if you want a party town forget Las Vegas, go to New Orleans!!!  Culture, scenery, river cruises, cool cemeteries,  music, food, shopping - and plantations and swamps an hour or two away...what more would you want? 

Comments

Unknown said…
Fantastic, Laurie.. I enjoyed every minute of my trip there with you.
Sammi said…
It looks awesome, Laurie. I really want to go to New Orleans

Popular posts from this blog

Peeing on fish or a fish out of water

Well this morning we headed off by boat to Siem Reap.  Due to the low water on the Tonie Sap Lake (more like a river until near the end of the trip when it widened considerably) the trip would be an 8 hour one... It was supposed to be boring but ended up as anything but...in no certain order...let's see.... We had a rest stop (turned out to be the only one) along the way and the loo was just a hole over the lake and there were fish circling around underneath.  Yes it was just a hole in the floor...you definitely had someone watch your stuff while you went in or one false move and your camera/purse or whatever would be in the lake.  The fish either like the warm pee coming in or they are pervs and like to see ladies parts.  We were just a few minutes out when all of a sudden there was something flying over me and jumping all over the floor - a little fish!  Guess he wanted to join the tour.  Roger reached down and scooped him up while I hooted and hollered.  Okay it wasn&#

A walk along the coffin trail (and a couple of lakes) in the Lake District

While in the Lake District I wanted to do some light walking but not heavy duty hiking where I could easily get lost and my body not found for days partially eaten by hungry...sheep?  Anyway, you get the drift...not too grueling and safe for a solo walker.  I get a bit nervous when I am too far from civilization. There are lots of books about walking in the Lake District but they seem to be all about walking the fells in remote places...neither Thelma nor I fancied that.  While browsing in the post office/shop in Ambleside one day (if you are ever in Ambleside you must go there - a treasure!) I found a stand of walk descriptions on post cards.  And there I found my walk.  After all who could resist a stroll on the "coffin trail" in William Wordsworth country... I took a look and thought hmm...cafe along the route...that works for me. (with at least the security of knowing there was an available "loo" along the way.)  Okay, I may not have totally followed the

The highlights of my Fall 2023 trip

I'm back home after a great six weeks away. This was a "short" trip for me.  So here we go with an overview of my trip.   London London for me is always a good idea.  I fell in love with it back in the mid 70's and it's been calling me back ever since. Some of the best things in my life have happened in London.  When I learned my two Oz friends Loraine and Linda were going to be in London in the fall I knew I had to be there.  And what fun we had!!  Of course, I did loads of other things as well.  I spent two weeks there from mid September until very early October and then back again for four nights at the end of October before flying home.   After over five years (delayed for two and a half years thanks to Covid) of walking, I finally finished the 126 km Capital Ring.  The picture above is taken at the end of my walk and where I started in May of 2018 at the main door of Streatham Common station just steps from my B and B.  What a walk!  I got to see so much more