Skip to main content

The "Cities of the Dead" in New Orleans

You can't visit New Orleans without visiting one of her many cemeteries.  These are unique due to the fact that the dead are buried in vaults.  This is because on average, New Orleans is between one to two feet below sea level.  Early settlers tried burying the dead and placing stones in and on top of the casket however when it rained it was not unusual for the rocks to come loose and the casket to literally pop up to the surface. Not nice! Following the Spanish custom, vaults were constructed and this method has been used ever since. These are family owned vaults that go back generations.  How do they fit all the bodies in you might ask?  Okay you asked for it...this is a bit gruesome.  Bodies are laid out in the vault in a wooden  box.  New Orleans summers are stifling with heat and humidity and inside the vault it can reach 300 degrees fahrenheit.  Bodies disintegrate quickly in that kind of heat and all that is left are bones, ashes and rotting wood.  Remains may lay there undisturbed for years however if the space is needed the body remains are swept to the back of the vault where they fall to the side and back.  It is the law a body must be undisturbed for one year and a day.  What happens if space is needed before that time?  There is a temporary "holding area" in most cemeteries for this situation. 

There are many cemeteries in the city to visit:  St. Louis I, St. Louis II, St. Louis III (notice a theme here?)and Layfayette which is in the Garden District,...these are the most popular ones for tourists.    We had tried to visit Lafayette in the Garden District however it had closed at 3 p.m. (3 p.m.???  Crazy!)  Instead we took a guided walking tour of St. Louis cemetery near the French Quarter.  It was constructed in 1789 and most of the vaults were constructed in the 18th and 19th centuries.  As in all the cemeteries there are "streets" on a grid which lgives them the name "Cities of the dead". 

  

The tomb of the infamous Voodoo Queen Marie Laveau...the xxx's have been put there as wishes..if your wish comes true you go back and circle them.  As the guide says...none have circles.... 
Our tour guide
Close up of Marie Latreau's tomb
This pyramid monstrosity is the future "home" of Nicholas Cage.  Yep, he had this built for his remains...really fits in doesn't it?  Money talks I guess. 
 



One thing that tourists are constantly reminded of is NOT to visit these cemeteries alone - especially the St Louis cemetery we have just visited.  Muggers can easily hide behind the tombs.  I don't think it is as bad as it was however due to the destruction of the notorious Iberville housing project nearby.  Still I personally would never walk through this cemetery on my own - I would only go in a group. 

On this last trip we walked by the St Louis 3 cemetery near the end of the New Orleans half marathon which terminated in City Park.  This cemetery was built in 1854 on the site of an old Leper colony.  After the yellow fever outbreak in 1853 the city was in need of another cemetery.  It was originally known as the Bayou Cemetery as it is near Bayou St. John.   Even though I was flagging I did summon the strength to take two quick pictures as I staggered by.

I changed this way to black and white for a more dramatic effect


If you ever go to New Orleans (and you KNOW you should..) taking a tour of a local cemetery is a must. 

Comments

Sammi said…
Wow, talk about dark tourism! Fascinating, though.... Another thing to see in New Orleans

Popular posts from this blog

Peeing on fish or a fish out of water

Well this morning we headed off by boat to Siem Reap.  Due to the low water on the Tonie Sap Lake (more like a river until near the end of the trip when it widened considerably) the trip would be an 8 hour one... It was supposed to be boring but ended up as anything but...in no certain order...let's see.... We had a rest stop (turned out to be the only one) along the way and the loo was just a hole over the lake and there were fish circling around underneath.  Yes it was just a hole in the floor...you definitely had someone watch your stuff while you went in or one false move and your camera/purse or whatever would be in the lake.  The fish either like the warm pee coming in or they are pervs and like to see ladies parts.  We were just a few minutes out when all of a sudden there was something flying over me and jumping all over the floor - a little fish!  Guess he wanted to join the tour.  Roger reached down and scooped him up while I hooted and hollered.  Okay it wasn&#

A walk along the coffin trail (and a couple of lakes) in the Lake District

While in the Lake District I wanted to do some light walking but not heavy duty hiking where I could easily get lost and my body not found for days partially eaten by hungry...sheep?  Anyway, you get the drift...not too grueling and safe for a solo walker.  I get a bit nervous when I am too far from civilization. There are lots of books about walking in the Lake District but they seem to be all about walking the fells in remote places...neither Thelma nor I fancied that.  While browsing in the post office/shop in Ambleside one day (if you are ever in Ambleside you must go there - a treasure!) I found a stand of walk descriptions on post cards.  And there I found my walk.  After all who could resist a stroll on the "coffin trail" in William Wordsworth country... I took a look and thought hmm...cafe along the route...that works for me. (with at least the security of knowing there was an available "loo" along the way.)  Okay, I may not have totally followed the

The highlights of my Fall 2023 trip

I'm back home after a great six weeks away. This was a "short" trip for me.  So here we go with an overview of my trip.   London London for me is always a good idea.  I fell in love with it back in the mid 70's and it's been calling me back ever since. Some of the best things in my life have happened in London.  When I learned my two Oz friends Loraine and Linda were going to be in London in the fall I knew I had to be there.  And what fun we had!!  Of course, I did loads of other things as well.  I spent two weeks there from mid September until very early October and then back again for four nights at the end of October before flying home.   After over five years (delayed for two and a half years thanks to Covid) of walking, I finally finished the 126 km Capital Ring.  The picture above is taken at the end of my walk and where I started in May of 2018 at the main door of Streatham Common station just steps from my B and B.  What a walk!  I got to see so much more