Skip to main content

Getting settled in

Yes I know...it's been five days since my last blog post - or six?  I have had a hectic week of sightseeing and stalking Paddington Bear. (more on that in another post)  I am now at my pet sit in Wembley, North London.  I have been here since Thursday evening but the owner is off to the United States today so it's just me and the critters (and a couple of guests) until Monday January 12th.  So far, so good!  What has it been...four hours?  I am sure we will all be fine.  Now if I could just find the cat....kidding, kidding...I think...where is she?  Ah..curled up with the dog... Emma is a Basset Hound and Scylla is a tiny black and white cat.

It's been a whirlwind six days since I got here.  For the first four nights I stayed at my usual Bed and Breakfast in Hampstead Garden Suburb in the little room that overlooks Hampstead Heath extension. I have been staying there for the past ten years.  As you might guess I do love it.  And the price is right.  However for this extended stay I do need a place where I can cook as well as neither my figure or bank balance could handle six months of eating out - not to mention it would be awfully sickening after a while.

Monday evening I went with my friend Pat to a Christmas concert at the Rose Playhouse on Bankside.  It is a reconstruction on the site of the original Rose Playhouse which was built in 1587 before the Globe and where Shakespeare, Marlowe and a few others hung out.  The ruins were rediscovered in 1989 and slowly but surely work is being done on it.  We got the tickets on line for six pounds and it included mince tarts and mulled wine.  As there was no heat nor bathrooms I thought that was why it was such a cheap price... we found out why it was so cheap later....anyway the concert was a quartet of singers who were very entertaining and we both enjoyed it.  The host kept thanking us for being volunteers and the penny dropped...oops...but it said nothing about being a volunteer on the poster.  Anyway all very enjoyable.

The next evening I went to a Christmas spectacular at the Royal Albert Hall.  I hadn't realized my ticket was in a box seat - and neither did the rest of the people around me.  As the concert was a complete sell out we couldn't have been upgraded so were we all so oblivious?  Maybe!  Anyway it was wonderful..The concert featured trumpeters from the Coldstream Guard as well as a huge choir, musicians...sorry I forget their names and the fantastic organist.  It started with "God Save the Queen" and covered most well known carols as well as "Waltz of the Flowers"" which to me is the most beautiful piece of music ever created (sorry Paul!)  It gives me shivers EVERY time. We sang along at times and other times listened in awe.   It was an absolutely magical three hours and worth every penny - I wish I could sit through it again.  Truly one of the best musical experiences I have had made even more special by being in the beautiful Royal Albert Hall.



I was supposed to go to the Who on Wednesday evening but it was postponed due to Roger Daltrey having throat problems. I have to look into getting a refund as it's doubtful I will be in London on March 22nd when it is rescheduled for.  I have to think about this one as there are a few things happening in that time frame.  Anyway I needed an evening in so happily watched Coronation Street and caught up on uploading photos.

Now this weekend I hope to get caught up on blog posts...we shall see...

I joined a few London meetup groups online and the first one I am attending is tomorrow.  A Twelve Days of Christmas Walk starting at the St Paul's tube station.  I am looking forward to it.

It will be nice to live life at a slower pace than I usually do in London.  I am enjoying being in a house and plan to cook for the next three evenings...okay...heat up ready meals and cook fresh vegetables....all those meals I drooled over in Marks & Spencer I can now eat....and yes there is a small bag of brussels sprouts in the fridge.

I can't wait to get to Borough Market again and buy some food to bring back...blog post coming on my visit there on Tuesday as well as stalking Paddington Bear.  Now to heat up some water to brew some of that fabulous second harvest darjeeling tea I bought at the market....stay tuned for more stories - and lots of photos!!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Peeing on fish or a fish out of water

Well this morning we headed off by boat to Siem Reap.  Due to the low water on the Tonie Sap Lake (more like a river until near the end of the trip when it widened considerably) the trip would be an 8 hour one... It was supposed to be boring but ended up as anything but...in no certain order...let's see.... We had a rest stop (turned out to be the only one) along the way and the loo was just a hole over the lake and there were fish circling around underneath.  Yes it was just a hole in the floor...you definitely had someone watch your stuff while you went in or one false move and your camera/purse or whatever would be in the lake.  The fish either like the warm pee coming in or they are pervs and like to see ladies parts.  We were just a few minutes out when all of a sudden there was something flying over me and jumping all over the floor - a little fish!  Guess he wanted to join the tour.  Roger reached down and scooped him up while I hooted and hollered.  Okay it wasn&#

A walk along the coffin trail (and a couple of lakes) in the Lake District

While in the Lake District I wanted to do some light walking but not heavy duty hiking where I could easily get lost and my body not found for days partially eaten by hungry...sheep?  Anyway, you get the drift...not too grueling and safe for a solo walker.  I get a bit nervous when I am too far from civilization. There are lots of books about walking in the Lake District but they seem to be all about walking the fells in remote places...neither Thelma nor I fancied that.  While browsing in the post office/shop in Ambleside one day (if you are ever in Ambleside you must go there - a treasure!) I found a stand of walk descriptions on post cards.  And there I found my walk.  After all who could resist a stroll on the "coffin trail" in William Wordsworth country... I took a look and thought hmm...cafe along the route...that works for me. (with at least the security of knowing there was an available "loo" along the way.)  Okay, I may not have totally followed the

The highlights of my Fall 2023 trip

I'm back home after a great six weeks away. This was a "short" trip for me.  So here we go with an overview of my trip.   London London for me is always a good idea.  I fell in love with it back in the mid 70's and it's been calling me back ever since. Some of the best things in my life have happened in London.  When I learned my two Oz friends Loraine and Linda were going to be in London in the fall I knew I had to be there.  And what fun we had!!  Of course, I did loads of other things as well.  I spent two weeks there from mid September until very early October and then back again for four nights at the end of October before flying home.   After over five years (delayed for two and a half years thanks to Covid) of walking, I finally finished the 126 km Capital Ring.  The picture above is taken at the end of my walk and where I started in May of 2018 at the main door of Streatham Common station just steps from my B and B.  What a walk!  I got to see so much more