Skip to main content

A 30 year old dream realized

Well here I am on the beautiful island of Madeira - somewhere I have wanted to visit since the 80's.  It's not high on North American radars but it should be... on second thought, no no you don't want to come here.... I don't want it to become too popular you see because to me this is paradise.  The temperature right now is about 17C for a high and then cools off at night. 
Our airbnb home is lovely and the view from the house is spectacular.  It is west of Funchal, the main town and overlooks the ocean and Funchal.    When we arrived the airport bus dropped us off too early and luckily a young fellow walking by helped us out by phoning Jorge who came to pick us up there instead of the bus stop we were supposed to be dropped off at.  Stress!  Once we got here though we were thrilled to bits.  Jorge served us home made soup on our arrival and it was delicious.

Home sweet home for the next week
Oh yes and June brought the type cover for my tablet so I am now in business again.  It feels so good to actually type again.  And this means more blog posts folks.  You don't want to know how long it took for me to "type" on the touch cover and how often I felt like throwing the thing against the wall in frustration.

Last night we walked to a nearby fishing village where we picked up a few groceries and a bit of wine.... we then went for Tapas at a local bar which consisted of espada fish in passion fruit sauce, sardine bruschetta and lappas which is a small version of mussels.  Yum.  We also had a drink that the bar invented called Nikita (after Elton Johns' song) that consists of beer, wine and ice cream and is really quite delicious believe it or not. Don't try creating that at home folks as I think it could be quite scary in the wrong hands.  When we got back Jorge brought us up some tea. 

This fishing village is a 30 minute walk from where we are
Today was a wonderfully busy day but I will tell you about that another time! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A walk from Westminster to St Paul's Cathedral

I have decided to put the Thames Path on hold until I am back in London next month and we have more Spring like weather...I will be going into a more rural area that is prone to flooding as well.  I am staying at about five miles maximum a day as well...my knees and feet have been giving me major grief so I am not pushing myself. However that doesn't mean I don't want to walk.  One of my favourite British Walking Federation walks is one that starts at Westminster tube station and covers 10km to St Katherines Docks just east of the Tower of London.  Yesterday I walked as far as St Paul's and will do the rest of the walk in the next couple of days.  Normally I do this entire 10 km walk my first day in London but not this time... So here are some of the highlights along the way....what a gorgeous day it was.  A different view of Big Ben Can you believe this was my first time on Parliament Square Another hero on Parliament Square Classic ...

The Colourful houses of Mazatlan, Mexico

Well this isn't even Throwback Thursday and I am reminiscing about my (all too short) week in Mazatlan, Mexcico in January of 2010.  It was one of my best holidays EVER.  I stayed in a delightful little hotel called La Siesta which was on the waterfront in the central part of town.(known as centro) overlooking the ocean.   I walked around the town photographing buildings, ocean views, dogs....visited the Mercado, attended a fantastic Flamenco dance performance in the restored Teatro (theatre), toasted the sunset with a beer from my balcony every evening and ate at some wonderful restaurants.  I also took a couple of day trips which were okay but my time in Mazatlan overshadowed anything else I did. My one foray into the Gold (tourist) Zone left me horrified and scampering back to my beloved Centro.  And did I mention I did this as a solo trip?  Mexico has had a lot of bad press lately and while there ARE bad things going on there I still believe the average...

Cowboys and Outlaws in the Big Muddy of Saskatchewan

One of the (very) few advantages of being stuck at home during this pandemic has been an opportunity to see more of my home province of Saskatchewan.  Last summer and fall not only did I do a couple of day trips with friends but I took four day tours with Engelheim transport, a local Regina company.   I have to admit my favourite day out was the "Big Muddy Valley and Outlaws" tour. While I had been to the Big Muddy previously many years back I was eager to revisit and learn more of its history.   So in early October, I hopped on board and off we went.  The bus is only booked to half capacity so it was easy to social distance, hand gel was a must each time we boarded the bus,  masks were required when you got on and off the bus and in any buildings we visited.  I felt totally safe and oh my, it was so good to have an adventure!!  Despite the name the Big Muddy isn't a big huge puddle of mud but a valley of badlands that were formed from a glac...