Skip to main content

A walk along the Grand Union Canal from Alperton to Greenford

 When I took on this petsitting job I had no idea there was a canal anywhere near Wembley so it was a pleasant surprise. Since arriving I have wanted to walk the tow path from Alperton to Greenford and finally the right day arrived.  This morning was sunny but clouds predicted for the afternoon. Rain is predicted for tomorrow and cloudy on Sunday and then I am outta here so it was a case of now or never.

So off I went.  I had done part of this trail a couple of times previously but instead of turning around I carried on.   The same gang of swans were there to hiss and give me dirty looks as I passed by.


Moody teenage cygnet
It was pretty quiet along the tow path and I only ran into the odd walker - or should I say nearly got run over by the odd cyclist...don't get me started.  Is it too hard to say bike on your left/right or ring a bell..?   It was hard to believe I was in one of the biggest cities on the planet as it was so peaceful.  I realize that one of the walks I do with Emma is on the other side of the golf course and cemetery I could see on the other side of the canal.

Piggery Bridge....where did they get that name from? Do I really want to know? 


Goodbye Ruby Tuesday...


At the Horsenden Hill visitor centre I took the opportunity to use the facilities and then started up one of the paths that led up the hill..I ended up walking beside a golf course so was hoping no stray golf balls would hit me on the noggin.  As it had rained yesterday the paths were very muddy and I was so relieved that I had thought to wear my hiking boots.  The view of North London was lovely.  I ran into a trio of walkers, one of whom took my photo and I returned the favour  I sat on a bench up there, ate my snack of a pear and cookie, had some water and then decided to venture back.  The hill is 276 feet above sea level and the summit is part of an ancient settlement from the Iron Age.





I opted to go back the same way I had come up as I can get lost in a paper bag...I decided to "be safe"and not explore.  And can you believe I left my phone charging on the kitchen counter?  Yes Laurie, go walking on your own and forget your phone...duh....need I add I am not one of those people who are tethered to their phones?  

Back onto the path which was even quieter as the clouds started rolling in.  Finally the walking bridge appeared which indicated I was heading to the end of my walk.

This path to Horsenden Hill was good compared to some of them. 

I saw a few canal boats on the move today

This is where I left the path and headed back home via public transport. 
I followed the easy instructions back to the tube station and after a short tube and bus journey I was back in Alperton.   I rewarded myself with a late lunch/early supper - momos...and veggie korma.....very nice.

Momos!!!  
I really enjoyed this walk (probably about 5 or 6 km) and it's given me an incentive to do even more canal walks during my time in London.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A walk from Westminster to St Paul's Cathedral

I have decided to put the Thames Path on hold until I am back in London next month and we have more Spring like weather...I will be going into a more rural area that is prone to flooding as well.  I am staying at about five miles maximum a day as well...my knees and feet have been giving me major grief so I am not pushing myself. However that doesn't mean I don't want to walk.  One of my favourite British Walking Federation walks is one that starts at Westminster tube station and covers 10km to St Katherines Docks just east of the Tower of London.  Yesterday I walked as far as St Paul's and will do the rest of the walk in the next couple of days.  Normally I do this entire 10 km walk my first day in London but not this time... So here are some of the highlights along the way....what a gorgeous day it was.  A different view of Big Ben Can you believe this was my first time on Parliament Square Another hero on Parliament Square Classic ...

The Colourful houses of Mazatlan, Mexico

Well this isn't even Throwback Thursday and I am reminiscing about my (all too short) week in Mazatlan, Mexcico in January of 2010.  It was one of my best holidays EVER.  I stayed in a delightful little hotel called La Siesta which was on the waterfront in the central part of town.(known as centro) overlooking the ocean.   I walked around the town photographing buildings, ocean views, dogs....visited the Mercado, attended a fantastic Flamenco dance performance in the restored Teatro (theatre), toasted the sunset with a beer from my balcony every evening and ate at some wonderful restaurants.  I also took a couple of day trips which were okay but my time in Mazatlan overshadowed anything else I did. My one foray into the Gold (tourist) Zone left me horrified and scampering back to my beloved Centro.  And did I mention I did this as a solo trip?  Mexico has had a lot of bad press lately and while there ARE bad things going on there I still believe the average...

Cowboys and Outlaws in the Big Muddy of Saskatchewan

One of the (very) few advantages of being stuck at home during this pandemic has been an opportunity to see more of my home province of Saskatchewan.  Last summer and fall not only did I do a couple of day trips with friends but I took four day tours with Engelheim transport, a local Regina company.   I have to admit my favourite day out was the "Big Muddy Valley and Outlaws" tour. While I had been to the Big Muddy previously many years back I was eager to revisit and learn more of its history.   So in early October, I hopped on board and off we went.  The bus is only booked to half capacity so it was easy to social distance, hand gel was a must each time we boarded the bus,  masks were required when you got on and off the bus and in any buildings we visited.  I felt totally safe and oh my, it was so good to have an adventure!!  Despite the name the Big Muddy isn't a big huge puddle of mud but a valley of badlands that were formed from a glac...