Skip to main content

On the street where I live.....sort of

Can you believe I did not take a single picture yesterday?  Not a one...first time since I left home four weeks ago today....I had a quieter day.  Emma and I hung out in the morning - okay she slept and I hung out with a pot of coffee and Netflix on the tablet and was just lazy. I needed that.  After walking her in the rain I headed out to see a movie...oh sorry...film...at the Cineplex at Wembley Stadium shopping centre.   It was cheap Tuesday so I got it for a tiny bit less than what I would pay full price at home..ah well..."The Theory of Everything".  Awesome movie.  It is based on the relationship/marriage of Stephen and Jane Hawking - taken from the book she has written on her life with him. (which I must put on my reading list when I get home)  After the film I was looking forward to a nice meal at Momo House, a restaurant that serves Nepalese and East Indian food that I had been to previously with Pat.  The home owners highly recommended it.  Sadly when I happily jumped off the bus salivating at the thought of momos and perhaps a veggie korma it there was a notice saying it was closed for the day....insert sad face... . So I came home and ate leftover quiche and salad...poor me.  I will go this evening on my way back from the Natural History Museum.  I also intend to try out a Sri Lankan restaurant they have recommended as Sri Lanka is on my radar within the next two years.  If I could have afforded it this year I would have gone...as of this writing I only have five more sleeps here so I had better get at it hadn't I?  I have been eating in quite a bit as it's such a novelty to go grocery shopping here.

Because of my quiet day I thought I'd share  some photos of the area that I am staying in currently...it is called Alperton and is the southern edge of an area of London called Wembley.   If it wasn't for the big red buses rolling by you would almost think you were in India..though no cows wandering around - I call it India double double...(Canadians will get that) .I live on a quieter side street but this is a three minute walk from when I step out my door..


Sorry about the bins - loved the ad..I nip into this newsagents for bits and pieces

Where the car is pulling out is "my"road...

This market is brightly lit at night. 




I could buy a Sari anytime I felt like it...

Shri Sanatan Hindu Mandir
.
Good to know there's weekend service!





As you can see...a vibrant exciting street...I am enjoying this area - so different ...I guess the only gripe I have is that they tend to not bin their rubbish (see I am talking British already)and it tends to be all over the place ..I am not in the market for a sari needless to say but if it was near to the end of my trip I would be tempted to buy some Indian spices. (then again...I have a cupboard full of spices I buy on holidays determined I will be cooking all sorts of exotic fare..a lot of it still unopened...)  I am getting accustomed to it now but at the beginning I could smell the incense and curry in the air which to me is not unpleasant at all.  A very unique area and one I am so glad I got to experience.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Peeing on fish or a fish out of water

Well this morning we headed off by boat to Siem Reap.  Due to the low water on the Tonie Sap Lake (more like a river until near the end of the trip when it widened considerably) the trip would be an 8 hour one... It was supposed to be boring but ended up as anything but...in no certain order...let's see.... We had a rest stop (turned out to be the only one) along the way and the loo was just a hole over the lake and there were fish circling around underneath.  Yes it was just a hole in the floor...you definitely had someone watch your stuff while you went in or one false move and your camera/purse or whatever would be in the lake.  The fish either like the warm pee coming in or they are pervs and like to see ladies parts.  We were just a few minutes out when all of a sudden there was something flying over me and jumping all over the floor - a little fish!  Guess he wanted to join the tour.  Roger reached down and scooped him up while I hooted and hollered.  Okay it wasn&#

A walk along the coffin trail (and a couple of lakes) in the Lake District

While in the Lake District I wanted to do some light walking but not heavy duty hiking where I could easily get lost and my body not found for days partially eaten by hungry...sheep?  Anyway, you get the drift...not too grueling and safe for a solo walker.  I get a bit nervous when I am too far from civilization. There are lots of books about walking in the Lake District but they seem to be all about walking the fells in remote places...neither Thelma nor I fancied that.  While browsing in the post office/shop in Ambleside one day (if you are ever in Ambleside you must go there - a treasure!) I found a stand of walk descriptions on post cards.  And there I found my walk.  After all who could resist a stroll on the "coffin trail" in William Wordsworth country... I took a look and thought hmm...cafe along the route...that works for me. (with at least the security of knowing there was an available "loo" along the way.)  Okay, I may not have totally followed the

The highlights of my Fall 2023 trip

I'm back home after a great six weeks away. This was a "short" trip for me.  So here we go with an overview of my trip.   London London for me is always a good idea.  I fell in love with it back in the mid 70's and it's been calling me back ever since. Some of the best things in my life have happened in London.  When I learned my two Oz friends Loraine and Linda were going to be in London in the fall I knew I had to be there.  And what fun we had!!  Of course, I did loads of other things as well.  I spent two weeks there from mid September until very early October and then back again for four nights at the end of October before flying home.   After over five years (delayed for two and a half years thanks to Covid) of walking, I finally finished the 126 km Capital Ring.  The picture above is taken at the end of my walk and where I started in May of 2018 at the main door of Streatham Common station just steps from my B and B.  What a walk!  I got to see so much more