Skip to main content

Walking part of the Levada dos Pionais and living to tell the tale

Yesterday we walked one of the many levadas here on Madeira. Our host Jorge drove us to the nearest one and started the walk with us along with his dog Zuulaika and a neighbor's dog.  He then bade farewell after a few minutes and we were off.

The beginning of the walk was a wide path with beautiful views - "this levada walking is a piece of cake" I thought....




As you can see the scenery around us was beautiful.  We then actually got to a levada....which was pretty cool.  Mostly there were bars alongside the exposed areas (although if you lost your footing and did not hang on you would not have a happy ending) so it was easy going.



And then we got to some tunnels....




Yes, we had to squat over and slither through, no hope of preserving any dignity there.


I forgot to take my backpack off for this tunnel... oops....
Then we got to the bit where we walked along a thin strip of pavement that was approximately 14 inches wide with no barrier and a long way down. (as in if you fell it would be a one way trip)   I could handle the parts of the levada with no barrier where there was vegetation beside me to hide the chasm but this part was terrifying for me..I have vertigo.  I shuffled along watching my feet all the time...I didn't dare look sideways.... with June encouraging me.   I don't have any pictures as I was too scared to do anything but keep shuffling. When there was a break in the concrete it was "just lift your foot Laurie".  I kept saying "do the things you think you cannot do".  However yes there was definitely some swearing going on.  We passed a fellow who had turned around as the trail got even narrower with a sheer drop as in not being able to see anything but space below him. (we could see rocks, trees way below us at this point - that is if I had dared to look) so we stopped at a bridge for a quick rest and ate a pear, some cookies and had some water.  I knew I couldn't go much further and the more tired I got the shakier I would get.  This is not classed as an easy levada to walk as you might imagine....
So back we went....






This was the easy bit.


June got a new friend..okay mister are you the one who pooped in the middle of the path?



We were out walking for about two and a half hours.   I am so glad we did as much of it as we did and am looking forward to doing another levada walk but nothing like this ever again.  When you have vertigo and even if you don't, walking along a thin precipice is sheer lunacy.  However I can say I did it and lived to tell the tale... though if I ever have a nightmare I am sure that walk will be part of it.

After the walk, we took the bus to Camara do Lobos and celebrated with a meal at one of the harbour cafés.  Then we walked the 30 minute back to our room at Jorge and Andrea's place.  And then we got shit faced with wine but that's a whole other story.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A walk from Westminster to St Paul's Cathedral

I have decided to put the Thames Path on hold until I am back in London next month and we have more Spring like weather...I will be going into a more rural area that is prone to flooding as well.  I am staying at about five miles maximum a day as well...my knees and feet have been giving me major grief so I am not pushing myself. However that doesn't mean I don't want to walk.  One of my favourite British Walking Federation walks is one that starts at Westminster tube station and covers 10km to St Katherines Docks just east of the Tower of London.  Yesterday I walked as far as St Paul's and will do the rest of the walk in the next couple of days.  Normally I do this entire 10 km walk my first day in London but not this time... So here are some of the highlights along the way....what a gorgeous day it was.  A different view of Big Ben Can you believe this was my first time on Parliament Square Another hero on Parliament Square Classic ...

The Colourful houses of Mazatlan, Mexico

Well this isn't even Throwback Thursday and I am reminiscing about my (all too short) week in Mazatlan, Mexcico in January of 2010.  It was one of my best holidays EVER.  I stayed in a delightful little hotel called La Siesta which was on the waterfront in the central part of town.(known as centro) overlooking the ocean.   I walked around the town photographing buildings, ocean views, dogs....visited the Mercado, attended a fantastic Flamenco dance performance in the restored Teatro (theatre), toasted the sunset with a beer from my balcony every evening and ate at some wonderful restaurants.  I also took a couple of day trips which were okay but my time in Mazatlan overshadowed anything else I did. My one foray into the Gold (tourist) Zone left me horrified and scampering back to my beloved Centro.  And did I mention I did this as a solo trip?  Mexico has had a lot of bad press lately and while there ARE bad things going on there I still believe the average...

Cowboys and Outlaws in the Big Muddy of Saskatchewan

One of the (very) few advantages of being stuck at home during this pandemic has been an opportunity to see more of my home province of Saskatchewan.  Last summer and fall not only did I do a couple of day trips with friends but I took four day tours with Engelheim transport, a local Regina company.   I have to admit my favourite day out was the "Big Muddy Valley and Outlaws" tour. While I had been to the Big Muddy previously many years back I was eager to revisit and learn more of its history.   So in early October, I hopped on board and off we went.  The bus is only booked to half capacity so it was easy to social distance, hand gel was a must each time we boarded the bus,  masks were required when you got on and off the bus and in any buildings we visited.  I felt totally safe and oh my, it was so good to have an adventure!!  Despite the name the Big Muddy isn't a big huge puddle of mud but a valley of badlands that were formed from a glac...