Skip to main content

Climbing the Cotton castles and terraces of Pammukale

Well as I sit here typing this I am tucked up in bed with two huge blankets on me.  We are staying in a family owned guest house in Koyakopa in southern Turkey and there is no heat in the rooms.  The weather is unseasonably cold in Turkey this Spring (of course) so it is darn chilly in here.  Ah well once I am tucked under the covers I will be warm and cozy - I will try not to think about nocturnal wanderings to the bathroom.....

And tomorrow is a rest day!  Well for me anyway and a couple of others....there is a 6 km hike on the Lycian Way which I am opting out of.  It is rocky and steep - my favourite things...(not).  Due to the weather the hike itself may be canceled as it has rained for a good portion of the day and more expected for tomorrow.  The others who plan to do the walk may go to the Blue Lagoon by public transit but if it is raining it won't be that great....I need a day to relax and not worry about being on a schedule.  And obviously two of the other gals think so...So three of us are staying here...I plan a late leisurely breakfast and then we will likely wander around the village as long as it isn't raining and perhaps sample the local wine....   Judging from the roosters crowing around here it will likely be a competition for who is the loudest about 4 a.m....ah well, I can cuddle back into my bed and not worry about getting up.  Breakfast is anytime I want it....a delicious feeling. 

Yesterday we visited Pammukale...which are hills of calcium deposits and hot springs...an amazing sight.  It took us forever to get there as we had to take a train and then a bus (which was late) to our hotel.  A cute fat little white dog followed us from our hotel to the train station and hung around until our train left...


There were storks nesting in the aquaducts in the city centre so we went and had a look while we waited for the 10 a.m. train....



The train was a new one and the journey went quickly - unfortunately our transport was held up in traffic so we had to wait...then we had to have lunch with the result being we never got to start our descent up the hills of Pammukale until 4 o'clock. 

Once we reached the calcium deposits we had to remove our shoes and carry them the rest of the way up.  It was an interesting experience...they keep heated water running down parts of it and as well there are the natural springs....it is mostly smooth and easy walking but there are places where your feet are a bit uncomfortable...makes for a good pedicure I guess. 


Taking off the shoes

And off we go...

No we didn't climb this part!





When we got to the top (and put our shoes back on) we walked over to the mineral springs but it was closing in half an hour!  One of our group opted to go in but I decided to walk around and take more photos.  This was the site of the ruins of the city of Hierapolis but with limited time I was more interested in taking pictures of the calcium terraces.





As you can tell I found the effects of the setting sun on the terraces stunning.  It is a such a unique place to visit..and yes I will be posting more about this wonderful place.  I just wish we had had longer there - in order to see it and enjoy the mineral baths you need a full day. 

While four of our group opted to walk back down Keemet called a taxi for the rest of us.  Apparently it was a little trickier going down and I don't want to take any risks on this trip...I have too much to lose if I fall and break something...an ambulance was taking someone away as I walked by the top of the terraces while I am was taking photos....with no shoes on there is no ankle support. 

Definitely a recommended place to spend some time if you are visiting Turkey! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A walk from Westminster to St Paul's Cathedral

I have decided to put the Thames Path on hold until I am back in London next month and we have more Spring like weather...I will be going into a more rural area that is prone to flooding as well.  I am staying at about five miles maximum a day as well...my knees and feet have been giving me major grief so I am not pushing myself. However that doesn't mean I don't want to walk.  One of my favourite British Walking Federation walks is one that starts at Westminster tube station and covers 10km to St Katherines Docks just east of the Tower of London.  Yesterday I walked as far as St Paul's and will do the rest of the walk in the next couple of days.  Normally I do this entire 10 km walk my first day in London but not this time... So here are some of the highlights along the way....what a gorgeous day it was.  A different view of Big Ben Can you believe this was my first time on Parliament Square Another hero on Parliament Square Classic ...

The Colourful houses of Mazatlan, Mexico

Well this isn't even Throwback Thursday and I am reminiscing about my (all too short) week in Mazatlan, Mexcico in January of 2010.  It was one of my best holidays EVER.  I stayed in a delightful little hotel called La Siesta which was on the waterfront in the central part of town.(known as centro) overlooking the ocean.   I walked around the town photographing buildings, ocean views, dogs....visited the Mercado, attended a fantastic Flamenco dance performance in the restored Teatro (theatre), toasted the sunset with a beer from my balcony every evening and ate at some wonderful restaurants.  I also took a couple of day trips which were okay but my time in Mazatlan overshadowed anything else I did. My one foray into the Gold (tourist) Zone left me horrified and scampering back to my beloved Centro.  And did I mention I did this as a solo trip?  Mexico has had a lot of bad press lately and while there ARE bad things going on there I still believe the average...

Cowboys and Outlaws in the Big Muddy of Saskatchewan

One of the (very) few advantages of being stuck at home during this pandemic has been an opportunity to see more of my home province of Saskatchewan.  Last summer and fall not only did I do a couple of day trips with friends but I took four day tours with Engelheim transport, a local Regina company.   I have to admit my favourite day out was the "Big Muddy Valley and Outlaws" tour. While I had been to the Big Muddy previously many years back I was eager to revisit and learn more of its history.   So in early October, I hopped on board and off we went.  The bus is only booked to half capacity so it was easy to social distance, hand gel was a must each time we boarded the bus,  masks were required when you got on and off the bus and in any buildings we visited.  I felt totally safe and oh my, it was so good to have an adventure!!  Despite the name the Big Muddy isn't a big huge puddle of mud but a valley of badlands that were formed from a glac...