Skip to main content

Day five on the Thames Path - Putney Bridge to Kew Bridge

Well after a three week break it was great to see my old friend the Thames again.....I took the train from the Streatham Common station (which is a three minute walk from here) to Clapham Junction.  Lordy, Lordy - the sign says it's the busiest railway station in Britain and I can believe it.  I nearly got knocked over a few times by people dashing from one platform to the other.  I finally found the correct platform for Putney station and I was off. 

After I arrived in Putney I had my first coffee of the day at the church cafe I visited at the end of my last walk.  Fully intending to get my receipt guess what?  Yep I forgot it....ah well.

So I was off and immediately was in the middle of great excitement....there was a women's rowing race happening in just minutes......here was the scene as I strode (okay that's a strong word for how fast I move but it sounds good) along the banks.  Putney is known for rowing so it was really special to be there for a race. 



The path was like this for about half of the way - loved it!

Harrods furniture depository - no longer used as that I am told but it is in use for something
And they're off!  There were a lot of teams and it was fun to watch as I walked along the river bank.


Beautiful Hammersmith Bridge completed in 1887 - notice the crowd on the bridge cheering the rowers on


I must say the path was really crowded with cyclists, runners (there was a marathon happening near the end of my walk) and people watching the race.  I was glad to see so many people out enjoying the fine day but you constantly had to be wary of cyclists roaring by. 

Still at it!

Approaching Barnes

This would be a nice place to sit in the summer...


I stopped for a coffee and a "comfort break" here - and got my receipt!

One team is done! And yes, I had to duck under the boat!

Kew Railway bridge

And the end of my walk..and the beginning of the next one...

And back to this place...
I loved this walk!!  I am planning to walk some more of the Thames path on Wednesday and I am excited already!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A walk from Westminster to St Paul's Cathedral

I have decided to put the Thames Path on hold until I am back in London next month and we have more Spring like weather...I will be going into a more rural area that is prone to flooding as well.  I am staying at about five miles maximum a day as well...my knees and feet have been giving me major grief so I am not pushing myself. However that doesn't mean I don't want to walk.  One of my favourite British Walking Federation walks is one that starts at Westminster tube station and covers 10km to St Katherines Docks just east of the Tower of London.  Yesterday I walked as far as St Paul's and will do the rest of the walk in the next couple of days.  Normally I do this entire 10 km walk my first day in London but not this time... So here are some of the highlights along the way....what a gorgeous day it was.  A different view of Big Ben Can you believe this was my first time on Parliament Square Another hero on Parliament Square Classic ...

The Colourful houses of Mazatlan, Mexico

Well this isn't even Throwback Thursday and I am reminiscing about my (all too short) week in Mazatlan, Mexcico in January of 2010.  It was one of my best holidays EVER.  I stayed in a delightful little hotel called La Siesta which was on the waterfront in the central part of town.(known as centro) overlooking the ocean.   I walked around the town photographing buildings, ocean views, dogs....visited the Mercado, attended a fantastic Flamenco dance performance in the restored Teatro (theatre), toasted the sunset with a beer from my balcony every evening and ate at some wonderful restaurants.  I also took a couple of day trips which were okay but my time in Mazatlan overshadowed anything else I did. My one foray into the Gold (tourist) Zone left me horrified and scampering back to my beloved Centro.  And did I mention I did this as a solo trip?  Mexico has had a lot of bad press lately and while there ARE bad things going on there I still believe the average...

Cowboys and Outlaws in the Big Muddy of Saskatchewan

One of the (very) few advantages of being stuck at home during this pandemic has been an opportunity to see more of my home province of Saskatchewan.  Last summer and fall not only did I do a couple of day trips with friends but I took four day tours with Engelheim transport, a local Regina company.   I have to admit my favourite day out was the "Big Muddy Valley and Outlaws" tour. While I had been to the Big Muddy previously many years back I was eager to revisit and learn more of its history.   So in early October, I hopped on board and off we went.  The bus is only booked to half capacity so it was easy to social distance, hand gel was a must each time we boarded the bus,  masks were required when you got on and off the bus and in any buildings we visited.  I felt totally safe and oh my, it was so good to have an adventure!!  Despite the name the Big Muddy isn't a big huge puddle of mud but a valley of badlands that were formed from a glac...