Skip to main content

On a bus, a boat, a bus and a bus (and another bus)

Yes there has been a lot of traveling lately...by the time we have dinner I flop into bed as soon as I get back to the room.  Same with last night but am up at an ungodly hour due to a smoky room.  It didn't bother me when I went to bed but I woke up almost choking..I have the window wide open even if it is quite cold out there.  Ah, the fun of a budget traveler.  Actually the hotels on this tour have been quite nice but this one does leave a bit to be desired..don't stay at the Otel Deluxe in Konya....deluxe is not how I would describe it....

As mentioned above we are now in the city of Konya, home of the whirling dervish.  I shall probably visit the museum later this morning.  At noon today we are off on the bus to Goreme in the Cappadocia region but only a three hour bus journey.  Yesterday was a mammoth ten hour day to get here. 

So here's an update on the past few days...details and photos later on...probably when I get home to be honest....but that will keep me sane when I am back to a normal day to day life...ugh...dreading it already..am loving this life on the road...

After Pamukkale we spent two lovely nights in the village of Kayakoy and visited the ghost village there....our accommodations were lovely except they had no heat!  The second night wasn't bad as it was warmer but oh that first night....three blankets later....we had some great home cooked meals there.  While half of our group hiked part of the famous Lycian Way three of us stayed in the village and walked around taking photos and stopping to drink wine...and generally had a lazy day...I was even known to be petting a scrawny ginger cat who hung around the property. 

Our accommodation - no the pool was not usable - too cold!

Ghost village of Kayakoy....more on that later...

Didn't you know they have emus in Turkey?  (not) That made us do a double take

A cow (for my friend Linda!) in a pastoral setting
I did enjoy the village and it gave me time to recharge my batteries. 

We then headed to the Mediterranean and the town of Kas.  (pronounced 'cash") Alas we arrived to a power cut...one that affected most of the country.  Did I mention that it was also raining heavily?  So we didn't get much done that afternoon as even when the rain stopped there was still no power and shops were open but dark.  I wandered around a bit but it kept raining on and off.  So I said sod it and had a nap.  That evening we visited a seafood restaurant where I had a delicious shrimp dinner...luckily the restaurant had a generator and yay the power came back on just after we were seated. 

 
Wet downtown square

Dogs everywhere - my kind of place


The next day dawned sunny and warm - perfect as we were going on a boat cruise! 

View of Kas as we drove to board our boat




 
Need I add it was a good day...more on that later as well...and that was the last few days!  Stay tuned!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Peeing on fish or a fish out of water

Well this morning we headed off by boat to Siem Reap.  Due to the low water on the Tonie Sap Lake (more like a river until near the end of the trip when it widened considerably) the trip would be an 8 hour one... It was supposed to be boring but ended up as anything but...in no certain order...let's see.... We had a rest stop (turned out to be the only one) along the way and the loo was just a hole over the lake and there were fish circling around underneath.  Yes it was just a hole in the floor...you definitely had someone watch your stuff while you went in or one false move and your camera/purse or whatever would be in the lake.  The fish either like the warm pee coming in or they are pervs and like to see ladies parts.  We were just a few minutes out when all of a sudden there was something flying over me and jumping all over the floor - a little fish!  Guess he wanted to join the tour.  Roger reached down and scooped him up while I hooted and hollered.  Okay it wasn&#

A walk along the coffin trail (and a couple of lakes) in the Lake District

While in the Lake District I wanted to do some light walking but not heavy duty hiking where I could easily get lost and my body not found for days partially eaten by hungry...sheep?  Anyway, you get the drift...not too grueling and safe for a solo walker.  I get a bit nervous when I am too far from civilization. There are lots of books about walking in the Lake District but they seem to be all about walking the fells in remote places...neither Thelma nor I fancied that.  While browsing in the post office/shop in Ambleside one day (if you are ever in Ambleside you must go there - a treasure!) I found a stand of walk descriptions on post cards.  And there I found my walk.  After all who could resist a stroll on the "coffin trail" in William Wordsworth country... I took a look and thought hmm...cafe along the route...that works for me. (with at least the security of knowing there was an available "loo" along the way.)  Okay, I may not have totally followed the

The highlights of my Fall 2023 trip

I'm back home after a great six weeks away. This was a "short" trip for me.  So here we go with an overview of my trip.   London London for me is always a good idea.  I fell in love with it back in the mid 70's and it's been calling me back ever since. Some of the best things in my life have happened in London.  When I learned my two Oz friends Loraine and Linda were going to be in London in the fall I knew I had to be there.  And what fun we had!!  Of course, I did loads of other things as well.  I spent two weeks there from mid September until very early October and then back again for four nights at the end of October before flying home.   After over five years (delayed for two and a half years thanks to Covid) of walking, I finally finished the 126 km Capital Ring.  The picture above is taken at the end of my walk and where I started in May of 2018 at the main door of Streatham Common station just steps from my B and B.  What a walk!  I got to see so much more