Skip to main content

Ticking things off my London bucket list

I've been keeping busy working away on my "list".  I  have a written list of things I must do before I leave London...I made this list before I left home but with less than three weeks less in London (eek!) the pressure is on!  Windsor was on "the list" so that's crossed off.  I have waited for the "good weather" for most of it. 

The other day I visited Holland Park...as you might recall I visited it in the winter...but wanted to see it in the Spring.check it out now....



 



 
These photos were taken in the Kyoto garden which is so very beautiful.  Holland Park Mews in the photo above...how the other half lives! 
 
Another thing on the bucket list?  Walk along more of the Regents Canal...so that I did....from Lime End where I was staying to Haggerston...
 
 



I stopped at Victoria Park for a much needed coffee

A coot and her babies - was fun watching them. 

Pagoda in Victoria Park

Back on the towpath - loved this Irish wolfhound who obviously lived in a barge with its owner and would not move for anyone including the aggressive cyclists on the path - way to go!  This is MY path!  :).

 
After this walk I took the overground to Wapping where I walked a bit of the Thames path and had lunch at the oldest riverside pub in London, the Prospect of Whitby...
 
 


My view while I was having lunch (just a sandwich..)


As the tide was out I walked down the steps and onto the "beach" of the Thames...after all we are pretty good friends by now! 
I carried on walking to Canary Wharf....then I got the DLR to Mudchute farm - something else on the list.  I had my heart set on a cuppa and a cake in their cafe but it was closed...ah well I had a raspberry magnum bar instead.  Oh yeah..I did see some animals too!!!  It's a lovely oasis in the docklands...



Yes I indulged my sheep obsession

The lamb in the foreground with the black legs was a real character and a  bit naughty. 

Today I went to tour Bletchley Park which is where encrypted German messages were decoded during the second world war.  So very interesting. Being able to decode these messages reduced the length of the war by approximately two years.  I didn't realize what an important part carrier pigeons played in the war. MI14!!  I spent four hours there.
 
I am now living in the north of London in an area called Southgate...in a two bedroom cottage.  I do like this area more than the Limehouse area I was in previously.  Ann, the host is great fun.  Speaking of airbnb hosts my Paul ticket arrived at Claudia's so I went over on Wednesday and we had Chinese take out in the back garden as it was such a lovely day.  Yesterday was pouring so once I arrived here I stayed in for the rest of the day (except for an afternoon cooked breakfast that was delicious in the cafe opposite)and called it a rest day.  Ann generously said I could use her washing machine so now I have clean clothes again .  Yay!   
 
So I wonder what tomorrow will bring - how many things will I tick off my list?  Stay tuned!!
 
 
 
 
 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Peeing on fish or a fish out of water

Well this morning we headed off by boat to Siem Reap.  Due to the low water on the Tonie Sap Lake (more like a river until near the end of the trip when it widened considerably) the trip would be an 8 hour one... It was supposed to be boring but ended up as anything but...in no certain order...let's see.... We had a rest stop (turned out to be the only one) along the way and the loo was just a hole over the lake and there were fish circling around underneath.  Yes it was just a hole in the floor...you definitely had someone watch your stuff while you went in or one false move and your camera/purse or whatever would be in the lake.  The fish either like the warm pee coming in or they are pervs and like to see ladies parts.  We were just a few minutes out when all of a sudden there was something flying over me and jumping all over the floor - a little fish!  Guess he wanted to join the tour.  Roger reached down and scooped him up while I hooted and hollered.  Okay it wasn&#

A walk along the coffin trail (and a couple of lakes) in the Lake District

While in the Lake District I wanted to do some light walking but not heavy duty hiking where I could easily get lost and my body not found for days partially eaten by hungry...sheep?  Anyway, you get the drift...not too grueling and safe for a solo walker.  I get a bit nervous when I am too far from civilization. There are lots of books about walking in the Lake District but they seem to be all about walking the fells in remote places...neither Thelma nor I fancied that.  While browsing in the post office/shop in Ambleside one day (if you are ever in Ambleside you must go there - a treasure!) I found a stand of walk descriptions on post cards.  And there I found my walk.  After all who could resist a stroll on the "coffin trail" in William Wordsworth country... I took a look and thought hmm...cafe along the route...that works for me. (with at least the security of knowing there was an available "loo" along the way.)  Okay, I may not have totally followed the

The highlights of my Fall 2023 trip

I'm back home after a great six weeks away. This was a "short" trip for me.  So here we go with an overview of my trip.   London London for me is always a good idea.  I fell in love with it back in the mid 70's and it's been calling me back ever since. Some of the best things in my life have happened in London.  When I learned my two Oz friends Loraine and Linda were going to be in London in the fall I knew I had to be there.  And what fun we had!!  Of course, I did loads of other things as well.  I spent two weeks there from mid September until very early October and then back again for four nights at the end of October before flying home.   After over five years (delayed for two and a half years thanks to Covid) of walking, I finally finished the 126 km Capital Ring.  The picture above is taken at the end of my walk and where I started in May of 2018 at the main door of Streatham Common station just steps from my B and B.  What a walk!  I got to see so much more