Skip to main content

Goodbye London....

I am at an internet cafe madly typing this up.  Just checked in online for my flight to Reykjavik tomorrow afternoon....so hard to believe I am leaving England....one part of me is ready and the other part (the one who was in Marks and Spencers this afternoon crying "but I didn't get to taste all the things!") isn't at all.  But deep down I know it's time.

So much to tell you about but the situation hasn't been ideal for doing blog posts..wifi that is a bit wonky and nowhere to type in the room I am currently staying in (more about that later!) or else too darn busy.   Liverpool was a blast and I've been keeping busy here in London - on Monday I spent the day in Brighton with a friend.

I will try to blog in Iceland but depends on the situation - my understanding is the room is small so not sure if there will be a desk or not.  Likely not.  I will be there four nights - I have two day trips booked for this weekend and I am hoping to go out on a puffin watching expedition if time permits.  Unlike December when there was barely any daylight - now it will be almost 24 hours!

Today I wandered around seeing my favourite places...Borough Market where I had a last English fry up...then I walked along my old friend the Thames and over to St Pauls, then a bus over to St James Park where I sat and watched the waterfowl and their babies.  Then I got a hair cut... and that trip to M & S....where I resisted buying much at all... after this I will treat myself to a nice meal and a glass of wine.  Then it's back to the B and B to pack up...it will be fun as my main suitcase is in the living room and my other suitcase (yep...I've got two now..) is in the room with me....

Think of me tomorrow taking the bus and tube and train out to Gatwick airport and then into Reykjavik...one big suitcase, one carry on size, one day pack and one small purse.  Oh goodie.  Where did all that crap come from?  Beats me! :)

Anyway this blog will be busier than ever when I get back...of course some people will be bent out of shape about that if they view it as a "diary" but to me this blog is all about encouraging others to take the plunge and get out there and travel. And a momento for me as well... So many things to tell you about...I haven't even started on Turkey or Prague...

Stay tuned!




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A walk from Westminster to St Paul's Cathedral

I have decided to put the Thames Path on hold until I am back in London next month and we have more Spring like weather...I will be going into a more rural area that is prone to flooding as well.  I am staying at about five miles maximum a day as well...my knees and feet have been giving me major grief so I am not pushing myself. However that doesn't mean I don't want to walk.  One of my favourite British Walking Federation walks is one that starts at Westminster tube station and covers 10km to St Katherines Docks just east of the Tower of London.  Yesterday I walked as far as St Paul's and will do the rest of the walk in the next couple of days.  Normally I do this entire 10 km walk my first day in London but not this time... So here are some of the highlights along the way....what a gorgeous day it was.  A different view of Big Ben Can you believe this was my first time on Parliament Square Another hero on Parliament Square Classic ...

The Colourful houses of Mazatlan, Mexico

Well this isn't even Throwback Thursday and I am reminiscing about my (all too short) week in Mazatlan, Mexcico in January of 2010.  It was one of my best holidays EVER.  I stayed in a delightful little hotel called La Siesta which was on the waterfront in the central part of town.(known as centro) overlooking the ocean.   I walked around the town photographing buildings, ocean views, dogs....visited the Mercado, attended a fantastic Flamenco dance performance in the restored Teatro (theatre), toasted the sunset with a beer from my balcony every evening and ate at some wonderful restaurants.  I also took a couple of day trips which were okay but my time in Mazatlan overshadowed anything else I did. My one foray into the Gold (tourist) Zone left me horrified and scampering back to my beloved Centro.  And did I mention I did this as a solo trip?  Mexico has had a lot of bad press lately and while there ARE bad things going on there I still believe the average...

Cowboys and Outlaws in the Big Muddy of Saskatchewan

One of the (very) few advantages of being stuck at home during this pandemic has been an opportunity to see more of my home province of Saskatchewan.  Last summer and fall not only did I do a couple of day trips with friends but I took four day tours with Engelheim transport, a local Regina company.   I have to admit my favourite day out was the "Big Muddy Valley and Outlaws" tour. While I had been to the Big Muddy previously many years back I was eager to revisit and learn more of its history.   So in early October, I hopped on board and off we went.  The bus is only booked to half capacity so it was easy to social distance, hand gel was a must each time we boarded the bus,  masks were required when you got on and off the bus and in any buildings we visited.  I felt totally safe and oh my, it was so good to have an adventure!!  Despite the name the Big Muddy isn't a big huge puddle of mud but a valley of badlands that were formed from a glac...