Skip to main content

Czeching out Kutna Hora

Okay Okay I know that's such a cringe-worthy title but I couldn't resist. 

I visited my friend Claudia in northern Bavaria for a couple of days before we took a bus to Prague for five nights.  It was decided we should go to Kutna Hora as our day trip as it is one of the more popular places to visit.  I would have loved to have seen Cesky Krumlov but it was just too far of a journey and Claudia had been there already. Someday! (did it in 2017!) 

So on Monday April 20th we set off for the railway station.....Before we went down to the train platforms we checked out the old part of the Prague Railway station that was on the second floor..absolutely beautiful!


Then we got on a fairly old train...and found a compartment that wasn't too full.   We changed trains but I really don't know what the name of the place was - I was too busy scrambling down the steps from one and onto the other before the train took off.  There was a fellow on crutches and I really don't know how he managed but he did it. 

We arrived into Kutna Hora and proceeded to walk into the town.  It was not the most attractive area around the station and turns out we both were thinking "oh oh".....However once we reached the centre of town my mind was put at ease and it turned out to be quite a pretty little place.  After a light lunch (both Claudia and I love to eat so there is always lots of food involved when we are together) we headed off to see the sights.

Kutna Hora was at its peak in the Middle Ages when it was even bigger than London (really hard to believe but that's what the Berlitz guide says!).  The silver extracted from its mines funded the prosperity of Prague and the Bohemian Royal Court.  When the silver ran out Kutna Hora shrank to a third of its size and became a backwater. 


We walked by the huge Jesuit college which is now an art gallery (pass!)...the terrace along the front has 13 saints along it and was created to model the Charles Bridge in Prague.  Here are a few photos...as you can see it was a glorious day and the surrounding country side was beautiful.








From there it was a few steps to St Barbara's Cathedral which was beautiful on the outside...we never saw the inside as it is closed on Mondays. 



We then set off back down into the town stopping to admire some of the gorgeous buildings such as the Italian Court. 



View of St Barbaras Cathedral and the Jesuits college from afar


Italian court
As you can see the buildings were stunning. 

We then walked over to the Plague Column which was constructed between 1713 and 1715 in memory of victims of the Plague which killed thousands of local citizens in 1713.




Then on to the Stone fountain which was constructed in 1495.



Slowly we made our way back to the centre of town once again...



I have tried to find out what this building is but no luck...


Church of St John of Nepomuk


Detail on the top of Church of St John of Nepomuk

All too soon it was time to make our way back to the train station - stopping off first to grab a very delicious ice cream cone...


Nice modern train back to wherever...still don't know! 


Goodbye Kutna Hora...you were pretty and interesting but don't think I'll be back


The train back to Prague...the stairs up to the carriage were a killer....

In the end I enjoyed our day in Kutna Hora...I was ambivalent about going but in the end I felt it was worth it.  We missed out on the bone church (yes a church full of human bones) - the train does stop close by and most of the people on the journey from Prague got off there.   If I had been on my own I likely would have visited it but oh well...Kutna Hora is not super easy to get to with the change in trains but there are enough tourists going that you can probably just follow the "herd".   There are also guided tours that take you there but going on your own is cheaper of course. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A walk from Westminster to St Paul's Cathedral

I have decided to put the Thames Path on hold until I am back in London next month and we have more Spring like weather...I will be going into a more rural area that is prone to flooding as well.  I am staying at about five miles maximum a day as well...my knees and feet have been giving me major grief so I am not pushing myself. However that doesn't mean I don't want to walk.  One of my favourite British Walking Federation walks is one that starts at Westminster tube station and covers 10km to St Katherines Docks just east of the Tower of London.  Yesterday I walked as far as St Paul's and will do the rest of the walk in the next couple of days.  Normally I do this entire 10 km walk my first day in London but not this time... So here are some of the highlights along the way....what a gorgeous day it was.  A different view of Big Ben Can you believe this was my first time on Parliament Square Another hero on Parliament Square Classic ...

The Colourful houses of Mazatlan, Mexico

Well this isn't even Throwback Thursday and I am reminiscing about my (all too short) week in Mazatlan, Mexcico in January of 2010.  It was one of my best holidays EVER.  I stayed in a delightful little hotel called La Siesta which was on the waterfront in the central part of town.(known as centro) overlooking the ocean.   I walked around the town photographing buildings, ocean views, dogs....visited the Mercado, attended a fantastic Flamenco dance performance in the restored Teatro (theatre), toasted the sunset with a beer from my balcony every evening and ate at some wonderful restaurants.  I also took a couple of day trips which were okay but my time in Mazatlan overshadowed anything else I did. My one foray into the Gold (tourist) Zone left me horrified and scampering back to my beloved Centro.  And did I mention I did this as a solo trip?  Mexico has had a lot of bad press lately and while there ARE bad things going on there I still believe the average...

Cowboys and Outlaws in the Big Muddy of Saskatchewan

One of the (very) few advantages of being stuck at home during this pandemic has been an opportunity to see more of my home province of Saskatchewan.  Last summer and fall not only did I do a couple of day trips with friends but I took four day tours with Engelheim transport, a local Regina company.   I have to admit my favourite day out was the "Big Muddy Valley and Outlaws" tour. While I had been to the Big Muddy previously many years back I was eager to revisit and learn more of its history.   So in early October, I hopped on board and off we went.  The bus is only booked to half capacity so it was easy to social distance, hand gel was a must each time we boarded the bus,  masks were required when you got on and off the bus and in any buildings we visited.  I felt totally safe and oh my, it was so good to have an adventure!!  Despite the name the Big Muddy isn't a big huge puddle of mud but a valley of badlands that were formed from a glac...