Skip to main content

DARTing down to Bray

While  in Dublin I stayed in the seaside town of Dun Laoghaire (pronounced Dunleery).  On my past two visits to Dublin I stayed in the city centre...never again!  (okay, staying at the Shelbourne Hotel my first time over in 1975 was kind of nice....couldn't afford it now.  Why did I seem to have so much more money then?  Oh yeah..I didn't travel as much....)  The coastal towns around Dublin are the only place I will stay now.  I love the sea and with the DART it's a short ride into the centre of Dublin...sleep by the sea at night and in the city by day...what could be better?  The suburban train called the DART (Dublin Area Rapid Transit) was ideal as I could zip into Dublin or anywhere along the coast...as far north as Howth in the north and Graystones in the south.  I knew I had to take the DART - I read a lot of Irish chick lit and the protagonists are always taking the DART into the city!

So on Sunday the 3rd of May off I went DARTing south to Bray...



I left from my local station in Sandycove & Glasthule - the train runs mainly along the coast so I sat on the sea side of the train with my nose practically pressed to the window the entire time.  Just over thirty minutes later the train pulled into Bray station. To my delight there were some lovely mosaics of Bray station throughout the years...







From the station I headed down to the seaside and wandered along the rocky beach...ah bliss!  Being a Sunday there were many families  as well but it did't feel crowded in early May.  I imagine on a warm day in July or August it would be swarming.


This was the rocky beach - walking along here was a good work out!


Yes the weather was quite "moody" when I arrived in Bray but it soon cleared up into a lovely day.


Beautiful view of Bray Head and local hotels and homes....I could not get enough of this view!

The walk to Bray Head.  I did not research Bray so did not attempt to walk up to Bray Head - in retrospect  I regret that as I would have had some great views and it wasn't too strenueous so they say... Ah well, a good excuse to go back right?  I did enjoy what I saw and that's the main thing.  I sat on benches (or rocks) and enjoyed the views when I got a bit tired.


View from the walking path on the way to Bray Head.  I stopped and turned around just past here.


Coming back I walked along the sidewalk and stopped for an ice cream at Teddy's.  Can you believe it, I didn't take a picture!!!  Just let me assure you that it was delicious!


It was such a pleasant walk and the town looked adorable - I'd like to visit during the week when more businesses are open.







Slowly I made my way back to the train station - I really enjoyed Bray but it was time to explore a few more places....on to Dalkey which was just up the line.  Bono lives in Dalkey as did the famous Irish author Maeve Binchy - it's where the "elite" of Dubln live...It was settled by the Vikings and was a very important port in the Middle Ages...yes definitely on the list when my travels take me back to Dublin...

Here is Dalkey castle.  Dalkey castle was one of seven fortified houses/castles which were built to hold offloaded goods shipped by sea during the Middle Ages.  They had defence features built in to prevent them from being plundered.  You can tour the inside of the castle...next time!!!


Another view...

The high street in Dalkey.  I stopped at a pub and had a (very) late lunch.  I was just too tired to explore Dalkey much this time around.  Of course the rested Laurie sitting at home on a Sunday morning drinking her coffee wants to shake the Dalkey Laurie and say "stupid woman, why didn't you do more exploring" but I remember being so tired.  I was too tired to even try to find the water front...all that sea air and walking in Bray had worn this gal out!!!

So back on the DART with a couple of half hearted stops to explore towns along the way that I won't even share with you as they were so pathetic!!!  Not the towns, my exploration of them...- I was tired!!! (have I said that enough?)  The DART is a great way to explore the coast line around Dublin...clean, efficient and fairly reasonable - as long as you don't stick your three day pass into a slot when the exit is actually open (no names here!) and it disappears forever...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Peeing on fish or a fish out of water

Well this morning we headed off by boat to Siem Reap.  Due to the low water on the Tonie Sap Lake (more like a river until near the end of the trip when it widened considerably) the trip would be an 8 hour one... It was supposed to be boring but ended up as anything but...in no certain order...let's see.... We had a rest stop (turned out to be the only one) along the way and the loo was just a hole over the lake and there were fish circling around underneath.  Yes it was just a hole in the floor...you definitely had someone watch your stuff while you went in or one false move and your camera/purse or whatever would be in the lake.  The fish either like the warm pee coming in or they are pervs and like to see ladies parts.  We were just a few minutes out when all of a sudden there was something flying over me and jumping all over the floor - a little fish!  Guess he wanted to join the tour.  Roger reached down and scooped him up while I hooted and hollered.  Okay it wasn&#

A walk along the coffin trail (and a couple of lakes) in the Lake District

While in the Lake District I wanted to do some light walking but not heavy duty hiking where I could easily get lost and my body not found for days partially eaten by hungry...sheep?  Anyway, you get the drift...not too grueling and safe for a solo walker.  I get a bit nervous when I am too far from civilization. There are lots of books about walking in the Lake District but they seem to be all about walking the fells in remote places...neither Thelma nor I fancied that.  While browsing in the post office/shop in Ambleside one day (if you are ever in Ambleside you must go there - a treasure!) I found a stand of walk descriptions on post cards.  And there I found my walk.  After all who could resist a stroll on the "coffin trail" in William Wordsworth country... I took a look and thought hmm...cafe along the route...that works for me. (with at least the security of knowing there was an available "loo" along the way.)  Okay, I may not have totally followed the

The highlights of my Fall 2023 trip

I'm back home after a great six weeks away. This was a "short" trip for me.  So here we go with an overview of my trip.   London London for me is always a good idea.  I fell in love with it back in the mid 70's and it's been calling me back ever since. Some of the best things in my life have happened in London.  When I learned my two Oz friends Loraine and Linda were going to be in London in the fall I knew I had to be there.  And what fun we had!!  Of course, I did loads of other things as well.  I spent two weeks there from mid September until very early October and then back again for four nights at the end of October before flying home.   After over five years (delayed for two and a half years thanks to Covid) of walking, I finally finished the 126 km Capital Ring.  The picture above is taken at the end of my walk and where I started in May of 2018 at the main door of Streatham Common station just steps from my B and B.  What a walk!  I got to see so much more