Skip to main content

Pouting around Prague - the last 24 hours

Well I talked about the first 24 hours and the middle 24 hours so now it's time for the last 24 hours in Prague....after four months of travel I reached a sort of "burn out"  I knew this would happen but it's just unfortunate I was with a friend who was excited about seeing a city she hadn't been to in a long time.  I think I was definitely a damper on her time there.  At this stage of the journey, I just wanted to relax or go back to London.  My brain had reached a saturation point on discovering new things.  There was no JOY in exploring Prague for me.  I love exploring new places and am always so excited to see what's around the corner - not so for this part of the trip. I let Claudia make the plans and read the maps and I trudged behind like a sulky teenager.  Okay, maybe not quite that bad!  

After making coffee in our room and having yogurt and fruit (our hotel room had a small fridge - so very handy) we walked to the nearby metro station and took our first (and last) ride on Prague's metro. I found the metro dated but it worked ("London's is so much better"  I whined to myself knowing full well London had much more money to support such a system)  Our destination:  Prague Castle.

Prague Castle dates from the 9th century and is currently home to the President of the Czech Republic.  It is a huge complex and when you buy your admission ticket there are different packages.  We got a package that let us visit the castle itself, the Golden Lane, St Vitus Cathedral and St George Basilica.

Our first glimpse of St Vitus cathedral was after a short walk through a passageway and into a courtyard where it's suddenly in your face.  You would have to be a real jaded traveler not to have a "wow" escape your lips...yes even pouty Laurie was impressed..it was beautiful.  Claudia had thoug
ht our tickets didn't allow admission to the cathedral but they did so we visited later...however here are some photos of inside AND out.





I love all the scary gargoyles on the sides of churches



I have to point out that we entered the castle through one of the back entrances which was less than impressive; we left out of the main entrance which was much grander.  We realized the Changing of the Guard was happening although due to crowds we could not get anywhere near it.  We did see a few soldiers marching but nothing too impressive..



We then headed over to St Georges Basilica which was founded in the early 9th century.


I loved the colourful facade of the Basilica.

Next up was the Golden Lane which was my favourite part of the castle complex...






These are where the tradespeople lived.  Some are now operated as shops while others have been restored to what they may have looked like back in the day.

We then wandered back to the beautiful gardens we had seen upon our entry.  They were lovely and provided a respite from the tourist crowds.





 
A view of the Castle complex from the gardens


We then walked back through the complex which is when we visited the interior of St Vitus cathedral (once we discovered we could visit there was a huge line to get in; after our garden visit the tour group had left) and we then found ourselves at the main entrance of the Castle.



 "Dress ups" trying to get tourists' money!!


Protesting something!


We then had lunch.  Our lunches tended to be heavy and then we snacked in the hotel room in the evening...


Ta da!  The best meal I had in Prague...Beef and Czech dumplings with cream and cranberries...it was absolutely wonderful.  I did have some great food in Prague I must admit.

From there we wandered around the area first stopping to look at the Loreto which is one of Bohemia's most important centres of Christian pilgrimage.  It dates back to 1620 when the Hapsburgs built replicas of the Santa Casa of Loreto in Italy all over their land.




I had read in my small Berlitz guide on Prague (I highly recommend these guides - small enough to fit in a pocket but jam-packed with all sorts of information) about the area near the castle called Nový Svět (meaning "New World) which was the poorest part of the Castle district and therefore left undeveloped.  Claudia and I spent a happy half hour walking around admiring the buildings and taking photographs.







We then walked back closer to the castle complex area and sat and enjoyed the view...


We stayed admiring this view for quite a while...you can see why....



Soon it was time to head back...I was pleased to be able to take a tram.  However, problems arose...Claudia was able to get her ticket but the machine broke down right afterward and I couldn't purchase one.  Tram rides are done on an honour system where you punch your ticket when you get on...which can be the back of the tram.  Claudia wanted me to get off at the next stop and purchase a ticket but I thought why should I; not my problem that their machines don't work.   I must admit it was a bit of a thrill...hey when you're 60 plus and boringly law-abiding you take your thrills at "sticking it to the man" when you can get them. 

The tram ride was fun and once back on the other side of the river we walked over to Wencelas Square once again. 





We then headed back towards the Old Town...we had to stop at this pastry shop...I can vouch for the pastries (chimney cakes) being made on the left....very tasty. 




We had to visit this market although we came away empty-handed except for a couple of postcards...



This might have been interesting to visit...


Heading back to the hotel we walked through the Old Town Square.  This is the Old Town Hall - unique because it is made from several different houses as you can see from this angle.

Below is the famous Astronomical Clock in Old Town Square that dates from 1490. It is quite the production when it goes off every hour with Death consulting his watch and pulling a bell, Christ and the Apostles appearing and the crowing of a cock at the end.  Getting a good view without being jostled (and keeping an eye on your belongings) is difficult with the hordes of tourists that gather to watch the spectacle.  This was mid-April...I can't even fathom what summer must be like. 




The Church of Our Lady before Tyn


Back to our hotel as it had been a long day.  The next day we went to Kutna Hora and from there back to Germany.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Peeing on fish or a fish out of water

Well this morning we headed off by boat to Siem Reap.  Due to the low water on the Tonie Sap Lake (more like a river until near the end of the trip when it widened considerably) the trip would be an 8 hour one... It was supposed to be boring but ended up as anything but...in no certain order...let's see.... We had a rest stop (turned out to be the only one) along the way and the loo was just a hole over the lake and there were fish circling around underneath.  Yes it was just a hole in the floor...you definitely had someone watch your stuff while you went in or one false move and your camera/purse or whatever would be in the lake.  The fish either like the warm pee coming in or they are pervs and like to see ladies parts.  We were just a few minutes out when all of a sudden there was something flying over me and jumping all over the floor - a little fish!  Guess he wanted to join the tour.  Roger reached down and scooped him up while I hooted and hollered.  Okay it wasn&#

A walk along the coffin trail (and a couple of lakes) in the Lake District

While in the Lake District I wanted to do some light walking but not heavy duty hiking where I could easily get lost and my body not found for days partially eaten by hungry...sheep?  Anyway, you get the drift...not too grueling and safe for a solo walker.  I get a bit nervous when I am too far from civilization. There are lots of books about walking in the Lake District but they seem to be all about walking the fells in remote places...neither Thelma nor I fancied that.  While browsing in the post office/shop in Ambleside one day (if you are ever in Ambleside you must go there - a treasure!) I found a stand of walk descriptions on post cards.  And there I found my walk.  After all who could resist a stroll on the "coffin trail" in William Wordsworth country... I took a look and thought hmm...cafe along the route...that works for me. (with at least the security of knowing there was an available "loo" along the way.)  Okay, I may not have totally followed the

The highlights of my Fall 2023 trip

I'm back home after a great six weeks away. This was a "short" trip for me.  So here we go with an overview of my trip.   London London for me is always a good idea.  I fell in love with it back in the mid 70's and it's been calling me back ever since. Some of the best things in my life have happened in London.  When I learned my two Oz friends Loraine and Linda were going to be in London in the fall I knew I had to be there.  And what fun we had!!  Of course, I did loads of other things as well.  I spent two weeks there from mid September until very early October and then back again for four nights at the end of October before flying home.   After over five years (delayed for two and a half years thanks to Covid) of walking, I finally finished the 126 km Capital Ring.  The picture above is taken at the end of my walk and where I started in May of 2018 at the main door of Streatham Common station just steps from my B and B.  What a walk!  I got to see so much more