Skip to main content

The Green Lungs of London - Part 1

One of the (many) things I love about London are the abundance of parks.  You may be surprised to learn that 38% of London is green space then add up all the private gardens to bring it to 62%. (yes there are people that actually figure this out...and you thought YOUR job was boring...)   Take that New York! (at 14% of green space)  Okay not as much as Singapore (47% and much loved by me as well..in fact I call it the Asian London) or Sydney (46%).  So indulge me and let me gush on about my favourite parks in the city I love so much.

Instead of saving the best for last I am going to share the best first...St James Park.  I think this is a particular favourite of a lot of tourists including me.  Within a few minutes walk of Trafalgar Square, Buckingham Palace and the Houses of Parliament the park heaves with tourists at times but there always seems to be enough room for everybody.  I fell in love with this beautiful park the first time I visited in 1975 and it is one of the first things I visit on every trip to London...that, Trafalgar Square and Big Ben are part of my "now I know I'm in London" tour that I always do my first day there.  If I could add up the hours I've quietly sat on a bench just people watching - well it would be a staggering amount I am sure. 

St James Park is 57 acres and was named for the area in which it resides - which was named after a leper hospital called St James the Less. In 1532 Henry the VIII purchased the land from Eton College and during King James' reign it was turned into a kind of private zoo which included everything from elephants to crocodiles.  Charles the II, inspired by the parks of France had it redesigned in a more formal style and entertained his mistresses there included Nell Gwynn.  It had many incarnations to what it looks like now.  So here we go...




View of Horseguards Palace in the background - they have a changing of the Guard daily.  St James Park is known for its waterfowl and feeding the birds is a popular touristy thing to do...they expect it!

All sorts of birds from the bossy Canada Geese to Coots and everything in between.


Feeding the pigeons is also a popular pastime.  Pigeons have been banned from Trafalgar Square (I used to love going there in the "old days" to feed them) so now have migrated to St James Park.  Hey, they're not stupid!  Eating a snack on the benches in St James Park is an experience as you always have at least half a dozen sets of beady eyes watching your every move.

 Here are the iconic pelicans of St James Park.  These creatures always cause a stir when they leave the water and lope onto the path.  I haven't felt the same about them since I saw one swallow a live pigeon...in fact the friend I was with at the time mentioned it the last time we saw it each other.  "Remember when we saw the pelican eat the pigeon in St James Park" and we both grimaced!

 And yes of course we must get a selfie with one...



This area is right by Buckingham Palace yet most people never wander this far back and being as it is down from the street it is very quiet.


The flags above are on The Mall which leads to Buckingham Palace...these were up for the Trooping of the Colour ceremony which was to take place the following weekend.

 Babies in the middle of the path waiting for Mama.



St James Park in March....I missed the full glory of the daffodils as I was in Turkey in late March but I was overwhelmed by this display...
 

Mama and baby in the Spring daffodils

 The guards heading down The Mall for the changing of the guard at the Palace.  Run, run so you can photograph them - you hear the music before you see them.

View of Buckingham Palace from "The Bridge" - Good Luck getting across this bridge without getting in the way of posed photos and selfies...everyone wants a photos of these views.  Buckingham Palace one side....

And Horseguards Palace, the London Eye and  Downing Street area on the other...


Lots of these little characters running around.


Relaxing on a warm day.

Ok as you can see I am a little obsessed with St James Park bur really... who can blame me?

Next we're off to Hyde Park.  Hyde Park (350 acres) was created in 1536 by King Henry VIII for hunting purposes.  It has been the site for mass demonstrations by Suffragettes, the Reform League, and Stop the War coalition to name a few.  It is of course famous for Speakers Corner where people can expound on any topic.  The highlight of Hyde Park for me is the beautiful Lido that flows through it with graceful swans always looking for a hand out.

The Lido on a chilly March day.  On nice days you can take paddle boats out which is something I haven't done...yet. 
 These swans and pigeons are onto a good thing...what would they do without tourists?

I've been known to have a cuppa at this cafe on a decent day...when I can get a table.

Hyde Park is also known for the Princess Diana memorial fountain.




It's hard to get a picture of the whole thing but it is quite impressive. 

Hyde Park is so huge that just from reading its website I realize I have missed some attractions....it is an easy park to get lost in I must say....oh well next time.

One thing I saw this time I hadn't seen before was the statue of Isis...a beautiful bird depicting the Egyptian Goddess.  Sadly this name is now associated with the terrorist organization.





Hyde Park is full of these path ways .



Kensington Gardens (270 acres) is the next park...this was once the western section of Hyde Park but was separated  from the park in 1728 at the request of Queen Caroline. 


Path leading to the Albert Memorial and behind it the Royal Albert Hall.

Kensington Palace - a nice warm day and a place to relax...and love's young dream...get a damn room! :)

 When I visited in 1997 this gate was piled with tributes to Princess Diana....

 Statue of Queen Victoria

  The Round Pond in front of Kensington Gardens - created in 1730.

Feeding the wildlife here is a popular pastime.

 

The Physical Energy statue - commemorating Cecil Rhodes the founder of Rhodesia. (now Zimbabwe)

And of course there is the famous Peter Pan statue...installed in 1912.  J. M. Barrie, the author of Peter Pan lived close to Kensington Gardens which was an inspiration to him in the creation of the story of the boy who never grew up. The statue is on the exact spot by the Long Water that Peter lands after flying out of his nursery.





The detail on this statue is enchanting.

 Next up...the Italian Gardens...not at their peak in February but alas...I never got back...this is an 150 year old water garden said to have been created as a gift from Prince Albert to his beloved Queen Victoria. 


Three parks down and three to go...or maybe more who knows.  Hope you enjoyed visiting the green lungs of London with me.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A walk from Westminster to St Paul's Cathedral

I have decided to put the Thames Path on hold until I am back in London next month and we have more Spring like weather...I will be going into a more rural area that is prone to flooding as well.  I am staying at about five miles maximum a day as well...my knees and feet have been giving me major grief so I am not pushing myself. However that doesn't mean I don't want to walk.  One of my favourite British Walking Federation walks is one that starts at Westminster tube station and covers 10km to St Katherines Docks just east of the Tower of London.  Yesterday I walked as far as St Paul's and will do the rest of the walk in the next couple of days.  Normally I do this entire 10 km walk my first day in London but not this time... So here are some of the highlights along the way....what a gorgeous day it was.  A different view of Big Ben Can you believe this was my first time on Parliament Square Another hero on Parliament Square Classic ...

The Colourful houses of Mazatlan, Mexico

Well this isn't even Throwback Thursday and I am reminiscing about my (all too short) week in Mazatlan, Mexcico in January of 2010.  It was one of my best holidays EVER.  I stayed in a delightful little hotel called La Siesta which was on the waterfront in the central part of town.(known as centro) overlooking the ocean.   I walked around the town photographing buildings, ocean views, dogs....visited the Mercado, attended a fantastic Flamenco dance performance in the restored Teatro (theatre), toasted the sunset with a beer from my balcony every evening and ate at some wonderful restaurants.  I also took a couple of day trips which were okay but my time in Mazatlan overshadowed anything else I did. My one foray into the Gold (tourist) Zone left me horrified and scampering back to my beloved Centro.  And did I mention I did this as a solo trip?  Mexico has had a lot of bad press lately and while there ARE bad things going on there I still believe the average...

Cowboys and Outlaws in the Big Muddy of Saskatchewan

One of the (very) few advantages of being stuck at home during this pandemic has been an opportunity to see more of my home province of Saskatchewan.  Last summer and fall not only did I do a couple of day trips with friends but I took four day tours with Engelheim transport, a local Regina company.   I have to admit my favourite day out was the "Big Muddy Valley and Outlaws" tour. While I had been to the Big Muddy previously many years back I was eager to revisit and learn more of its history.   So in early October, I hopped on board and off we went.  The bus is only booked to half capacity so it was easy to social distance, hand gel was a must each time we boarded the bus,  masks were required when you got on and off the bus and in any buildings we visited.  I felt totally safe and oh my, it was so good to have an adventure!!  Despite the name the Big Muddy isn't a big huge puddle of mud but a valley of badlands that were formed from a glac...