Skip to main content

Goodbye Ljubljana, hello London

Well I'm back in London again - for ten days this time.  Lots of plans so yesterday was a kind of rest day if you can call shopping a rest.  I headed over to Wandsworth (not "the dodgy end" - fans of "Love Actually" will get that) to the shopping centre there.  Hit up the pound shop - I love that store.  So much better than our dollar stores in Canada -  better quality products although you are paying double the price of course.  But you get name brands whereas at the dollar stores it tends to be brands that aren't as well known.  Also visited Waterstones where I could not resist a new book...bookstores are like crack to me - wonderful but very hard to resist buying anything. 

Then the bus to Putney Bridge where I took a few photos....



I walked along here last year when I was doing the Thames Path...

Monday in Ljubljana was a "rest day" as it was a dull dreary day with rain on and off.   Eva and I had a long chat over a cuppa and she recommended a nearby Italian restaurant.  So I went there for a delicious meal of prawn and mushrooms with pasta.  And a glass of white...after all I had to have a good send off from Slovenia! 


The next morning I walked into town for one last look at the Old Town.  





Then it was time to head back to the flat and finish getting packed up and head out.  I was told there was a bus every hour from the bus station so off I went - just a ten minute walk away.  This is embarrassing to admit as an experienced traveler but somehow I must have watched the 1:10 airport bus load up and pull away.  However I wasn't the only one - there was a young fellow standing with me and we were both were looking for the bus.  Anyway luckily we both had allowed lots of time for our 4:30 flight and even taking the next bus an hour later got us to Ljubljana's small airport in lots of time.  In time to eat cake!!!  Of course I had to try another special Slovenian cake.  Meet Prekmurska Gibanica cake!  Full of walnuts, cottage cheese, poppy seeds and apples.  Yum!! 


The flight back was good and I was soon at Claudia's in Streatham, South London.  More London adventures to come!! 




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A walk from Westminster to St Paul's Cathedral

I have decided to put the Thames Path on hold until I am back in London next month and we have more Spring like weather...I will be going into a more rural area that is prone to flooding as well.  I am staying at about five miles maximum a day as well...my knees and feet have been giving me major grief so I am not pushing myself. However that doesn't mean I don't want to walk.  One of my favourite British Walking Federation walks is one that starts at Westminster tube station and covers 10km to St Katherines Docks just east of the Tower of London.  Yesterday I walked as far as St Paul's and will do the rest of the walk in the next couple of days.  Normally I do this entire 10 km walk my first day in London but not this time... So here are some of the highlights along the way....what a gorgeous day it was.  A different view of Big Ben Can you believe this was my first time on Parliament Square Another hero on Parliament Square Classic ...

The Colourful houses of Mazatlan, Mexico

Well this isn't even Throwback Thursday and I am reminiscing about my (all too short) week in Mazatlan, Mexcico in January of 2010.  It was one of my best holidays EVER.  I stayed in a delightful little hotel called La Siesta which was on the waterfront in the central part of town.(known as centro) overlooking the ocean.   I walked around the town photographing buildings, ocean views, dogs....visited the Mercado, attended a fantastic Flamenco dance performance in the restored Teatro (theatre), toasted the sunset with a beer from my balcony every evening and ate at some wonderful restaurants.  I also took a couple of day trips which were okay but my time in Mazatlan overshadowed anything else I did. My one foray into the Gold (tourist) Zone left me horrified and scampering back to my beloved Centro.  And did I mention I did this as a solo trip?  Mexico has had a lot of bad press lately and while there ARE bad things going on there I still believe the average...

Cowboys and Outlaws in the Big Muddy of Saskatchewan

One of the (very) few advantages of being stuck at home during this pandemic has been an opportunity to see more of my home province of Saskatchewan.  Last summer and fall not only did I do a couple of day trips with friends but I took four day tours with Engelheim transport, a local Regina company.   I have to admit my favourite day out was the "Big Muddy Valley and Outlaws" tour. While I had been to the Big Muddy previously many years back I was eager to revisit and learn more of its history.   So in early October, I hopped on board and off we went.  The bus is only booked to half capacity so it was easy to social distance, hand gel was a must each time we boarded the bus,  masks were required when you got on and off the bus and in any buildings we visited.  I felt totally safe and oh my, it was so good to have an adventure!!  Despite the name the Big Muddy isn't a big huge puddle of mud but a valley of badlands that were formed from a glac...