Skip to main content

A bit of a catch up...again.

Well here I am again...I'm back in London now.  The past week has been pretty busy and by the time I got back to my room I was too darn tired to do much.  My journal is behind as well - I was able to update some while waiting for the washing machine to do its thing at the launderette this morning but I still need to update and do some sketching.  It is overwhelming to try and upload photos, keep a journal going, do some trip research AND blog. 

I will have to update more when I get home and detail the places I visited.  So here's a recap of a couple of the days. (eek!).

Thursday I took the ferry back over to Valletta and walked over to the other side and visited the Lower Barrakka Gardens. 



The view from the Lower Barrakka Gardens


Lower Barrakka Gardens

I then walked along the road ringing the seaside until I found the ferry that would take me over to the Three Cities which consist of Vittoriosa ( previously known as Birgu and still called that by a lot of locals...), Cospicua and Senglea.  I spent my time in Vittoriosa as it was so lovely.   As the ferry pulled into the small harbour I gasped as it was just so beautiful.  No photos as I was too busy enjoying the scenery. 


Statue on the water front

I made my way to the Inquisitors Palace - home of the staff sent by Rome with their main duty to investigate any acts of heresy such as daring to belong to any religion but the Catholic church.  Please don't even get me started...and please don't ask me why I went. I'm still asking myself that question but I wanted to see the building.  Of course the inquisitors and their lackeys lived in luxury while the accused lived in prison cells below.  As no one was around to take my picture I took selfies of myself making faces in one of the cells because that's where I would have been.  And that's all I will say about that.

I then walked around the city which was absolutely beautiful - a smaller Valletta without the tourists.






All this walking had made me hungry so I decided not to be stupid like yesterday and have a good lunch....meet Bragjoli known as Beef olives.  But no olives are actually in it...(I made sure of that!) - thin beef fillets stuffed with ground beef, onions, herbs and tomato sauce - with lovely veggies and roast potatoes on the side.  Oh my!!  But I am afraid it defeated me and almost half was left on the plate. 



 
Then I was off walking again...along the city wall this time with gorgeous views...loved it!! 
 


 
Then it was time to head back on the ferry to Valletta.  I took the lift up to the Upper Barrakka Gardens and had another peek at the view...
 
 

This is the wall I walked on!  Where the boats are used to be docklands but is now a very prestigious marina...some of those yachts were unbelievable. 




 

 I then got the ferry back to Sliema and my airbnb.  I stayed in Alexander's flat and had a large bedroom.  Alexander prepared my breakfast every morning - it ranged from beautifully done sandwiches to waffles with fruit.  It was always waiting for me in the fridge as he had gone to work by then. And unlimited access to his nespresso!  He was a fanatical hiker and traveler so we had some great conservations about that. 

This was my breakfast the next morning...


Yes, carrots for breakfast!  And why not?

Friday I headed to the ancient cities of Mdina and Rabat on a local bus.  Mdina ("walled city") was known in Roman times as Melita and in the 9th century it was turned into a fortified citadel.  It was the capital of Malta until the Knights of St John arrived in 1530 and made their headquarters on the Grand Harbour. (Valletta).


 The Cathedral of St Paul

 Old Seminary which dates from 1729...now a museum


Typical street...


My knees took one look at the first step and said "ouch"...needless to say this staircase is not in use!
 
I then headed over to Rabat and was excited to discover it was all decked out for St Joseph's day.
 






 
 
I then visited St Paul's catacombs (underground burial places)...creepy.  I could only go so far before my knees rebelled. 
 

 
Time to head back on the bus to Sliema.   
 
 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A walk from Westminster to St Paul's Cathedral

I have decided to put the Thames Path on hold until I am back in London next month and we have more Spring like weather...I will be going into a more rural area that is prone to flooding as well.  I am staying at about five miles maximum a day as well...my knees and feet have been giving me major grief so I am not pushing myself. However that doesn't mean I don't want to walk.  One of my favourite British Walking Federation walks is one that starts at Westminster tube station and covers 10km to St Katherines Docks just east of the Tower of London.  Yesterday I walked as far as St Paul's and will do the rest of the walk in the next couple of days.  Normally I do this entire 10 km walk my first day in London but not this time... So here are some of the highlights along the way....what a gorgeous day it was.  A different view of Big Ben Can you believe this was my first time on Parliament Square Another hero on Parliament Square Classic ...

The Colourful houses of Mazatlan, Mexico

Well this isn't even Throwback Thursday and I am reminiscing about my (all too short) week in Mazatlan, Mexcico in January of 2010.  It was one of my best holidays EVER.  I stayed in a delightful little hotel called La Siesta which was on the waterfront in the central part of town.(known as centro) overlooking the ocean.   I walked around the town photographing buildings, ocean views, dogs....visited the Mercado, attended a fantastic Flamenco dance performance in the restored Teatro (theatre), toasted the sunset with a beer from my balcony every evening and ate at some wonderful restaurants.  I also took a couple of day trips which were okay but my time in Mazatlan overshadowed anything else I did. My one foray into the Gold (tourist) Zone left me horrified and scampering back to my beloved Centro.  And did I mention I did this as a solo trip?  Mexico has had a lot of bad press lately and while there ARE bad things going on there I still believe the average...

Cowboys and Outlaws in the Big Muddy of Saskatchewan

One of the (very) few advantages of being stuck at home during this pandemic has been an opportunity to see more of my home province of Saskatchewan.  Last summer and fall not only did I do a couple of day trips with friends but I took four day tours with Engelheim transport, a local Regina company.   I have to admit my favourite day out was the "Big Muddy Valley and Outlaws" tour. While I had been to the Big Muddy previously many years back I was eager to revisit and learn more of its history.   So in early October, I hopped on board and off we went.  The bus is only booked to half capacity so it was easy to social distance, hand gel was a must each time we boarded the bus,  masks were required when you got on and off the bus and in any buildings we visited.  I felt totally safe and oh my, it was so good to have an adventure!!  Despite the name the Big Muddy isn't a big huge puddle of mud but a valley of badlands that were formed from a glac...