Skip to main content

A day tour to Granada

It wasn't supposed to be a tour...I had booked two nights in Granada for the end of December months ago.  However what I didn't do was try to book a ticket to the Alhambra until just before I left home at the end of November.  I decided to book my train tickets and after booking my Seville train tickets I decided I had better book my ticker to the Alhambra.  SOLD OUT!!  The only time I could have gone was the last two days of my time here which would mean come back from Seville one night and then take off again the next day.  So I looked into available day tours from Malaga and saw one that was available on December 30th.

As it turned out this one went much more smoothly than the tour to Ronda.  First of all I didn't have to be downtown as early and secondly our tour guide was much better.  And we didn't have to go all along the Costa Del Sol picking up people - we all loaded up in Malaga.  I sat beside a woman from Australia who was once again very interesting so that made the time go quickly as we chatted pretty well nonstop.

Just over two hours and a coffee/pee stop later we were in Granada.  We were split into English and Spanish/German groups.   I must say it was nice to have to listen to English only and it was over ear phones so we didn't have to crowd in to hear her amongst all the other tours going at the same time. Our guide Carmen was friendly and so knowledgeable.  The place was absolutely packed and Carmen figured the max of 8,000 would be in that day - well I knew that already as it was sold out all through December.

The Alhambra means "the red one" and takes its name from the bricks of its outer walls. The Moors started building the Alhambra in the 13th century and lived there until they surrendered to the Catholic Monarchs in 1492.  Granada was the last bastion of Moors until then as they had been run out of Seville and other cities. They left peacefully in order that the Catholics would not destroy their beloved palace.  It is said that families in Morocco still have keys to what were their homes in Granada.  Much of the Alhambra was nearly blown up during the Napoleonic occupation when it was used as barracks so much of it has been lovingly restored.

We were fed loads of information but as all things these days in one ear and out the other for most of it  - thank goodness for Lonely Planet!  Because of the crowds we had to move quickly and it was difficult to get good photos.  With my slow walking and love of photography I was quite often at the end and trying to locate our group.  Yes she was talking in my ear but where the hell was she?  I so wished I had thought to book early and gone on my own.  Yes I would have missed the commentary but I could have taken my time, read my Lonely Planet on the Kindle, not "snapped" wildly at things with my camera as I staggered past and not struggled to keep up with the group on the many stairs. It's ironic I ended up on two tours as fear of not being able to keep up with a tour with my bad knee is the main reason I am not in Sri Lanka and South India right now - yes sorry Spain but you were not my first choice!


The first gate...the white mark above the first arch is a key - one of the seven keys to paradise.


Love the doors!



The details is absolutely amazing and everything has a meaning.





One of the ceilings




Courtyard of the Lions fountain


View from one of the terraces







 

The Generalife Gardens which were open for everyone "back in the day". I wish I could have sat and "stayed a spell".

It really is a beautiful complex and it always amazes me how these buildings were built back when things were so much more "simple"than they are now.  Okay..we know they had slaves but still...the work is so beautiful and they really did think of everything.  What architects!

We were dropped off in Granada city centre and while I would have loved to have seen the Albayzin (Old Muslim quarter) I just did not have the energy to walk there.  I walked around a bit taking a few photos and then stopped to have a vegetable sandwich for lunch.





I would have liked longer to explore Granada but alas it wasn't to be.  I could say next time but honestly I don't think I will be back.  There are too many other places to explore!

Back to central Malaga by just after 6 tired but happy.  It may not have been the visit to Granada I had visualized for myself but at least I have seen the Alhambra.


Comments

Unknown said…
Napolean & his goons were very hard on Egypt too. ISIL & ISIS are behaving similarly, destroying historical items. Stop that !

Popular posts from this blog

Peeing on fish or a fish out of water

Well this morning we headed off by boat to Siem Reap.  Due to the low water on the Tonie Sap Lake (more like a river until near the end of the trip when it widened considerably) the trip would be an 8 hour one... It was supposed to be boring but ended up as anything but...in no certain order...let's see.... We had a rest stop (turned out to be the only one) along the way and the loo was just a hole over the lake and there were fish circling around underneath.  Yes it was just a hole in the floor...you definitely had someone watch your stuff while you went in or one false move and your camera/purse or whatever would be in the lake.  The fish either like the warm pee coming in or they are pervs and like to see ladies parts.  We were just a few minutes out when all of a sudden there was something flying over me and jumping all over the floor - a little fish!  Guess he wanted to join the tour.  Roger reached down and scooped him up while I hooted and hollered.  Okay it wasn&#

A walk along the coffin trail (and a couple of lakes) in the Lake District

While in the Lake District I wanted to do some light walking but not heavy duty hiking where I could easily get lost and my body not found for days partially eaten by hungry...sheep?  Anyway, you get the drift...not too grueling and safe for a solo walker.  I get a bit nervous when I am too far from civilization. There are lots of books about walking in the Lake District but they seem to be all about walking the fells in remote places...neither Thelma nor I fancied that.  While browsing in the post office/shop in Ambleside one day (if you are ever in Ambleside you must go there - a treasure!) I found a stand of walk descriptions on post cards.  And there I found my walk.  After all who could resist a stroll on the "coffin trail" in William Wordsworth country... I took a look and thought hmm...cafe along the route...that works for me. (with at least the security of knowing there was an available "loo" along the way.)  Okay, I may not have totally followed the

The highlights of my Fall 2023 trip

I'm back home after a great six weeks away. This was a "short" trip for me.  So here we go with an overview of my trip.   London London for me is always a good idea.  I fell in love with it back in the mid 70's and it's been calling me back ever since. Some of the best things in my life have happened in London.  When I learned my two Oz friends Loraine and Linda were going to be in London in the fall I knew I had to be there.  And what fun we had!!  Of course, I did loads of other things as well.  I spent two weeks there from mid September until very early October and then back again for four nights at the end of October before flying home.   After over five years (delayed for two and a half years thanks to Covid) of walking, I finally finished the 126 km Capital Ring.  The picture above is taken at the end of my walk and where I started in May of 2018 at the main door of Streatham Common station just steps from my B and B.  What a walk!  I got to see so much more