Skip to main content

Winchester Cathedral

Winchester Cathedral, you're bringing me dowhownnnn...love it or hate it, anyone who grew up in the 60's remembers that song.  Can you believe it was this song that led me to visit?  Yes, I am daft like that.  I have been wanting to visit Winchester for years now even though I didn't know much about it aside from the song and the fact it was the starting point for the South Downs Way which I intend to do some day. (just watch me!)

Rail fares in the UK are not cheap which is why I subscribe to the mailing list of every train line. When a deal came up for Great Western Railway I jumped on it.  It wasn't the ten pound return deal I got to York but it was still quite a bit cheaper than the regular fare which I certainly wasn't about to pay for a day trip.

Due to getting on the wrong train at my local station (cringe - that'll teach me not to double check where the incoming train is going) I ended up at Waterloo station with three minutes to spare.  I didn't know I could still move that fast but I did it.  No time for a quick coffee but thank goodness they have trolley service so I got my caffeine fix just as the train was leaving the outskirts of London.

Just over an hour later the train pulled into Winchester rail station to steady rain.  I have never let that stop me!  My first stop was the Great Hall which blew my mind and I will be talking about in another post.  From there I wandered along a pedestrian shopping area that sadly I never got back to.  But I will!

It was easy to find the cathedral as it was sign posted well which was a good thing as we know how easily I get lost.

And there it was...in the mist and rain....and the rain and the mist....




First a bit of background..there is 15 centuries of history behind the cathedral as Winchester was once the seat of power in Anglo Saxon and Norman royal power.  The current site of the cathedral began in the 7th century when royalty transitioned from pagan to christian.  I won't bore with details but it has gone from a Little Minster to a Cathedral and was the burial place of King Alfred the Great of Wessex amongst many others.  In 1066 when William the Conquerer arrived a Norman church was built.  The church was Roman Catholic until the dissolution of the monasteries under King Henry VIII when it became a cathedral.  The church today was mainly completed in the early 16th century.

One of the most notable things about the cathedral is that the author Jane Austin is buried here.

So enough talking, let's start exploring!

The first thing I headed for was the burial place of Jane Austen in the cathedral.  Confession time: despite being a vicarious reader I've never read one of Jane Austen's novels right through. (I've seen the movies though..does that count?)  I think it's time to do so!!!  This year is the 200th anniversary of her death (in a nearby home) so there are many celebrations planned.  So a good year as any to start reading her books right?




Above is a plaque dedicated to her memory.


One of the beautiful stained glass windows in the cathedral.



Magnificent!!!  The Nave.



Looking toward the altar.





The two pictures above are Medieval wall paintings from the 12th century.  They were uncovered in the 1960's.


The choir stalls







I saw dead people...lots of dead people!  (well their tombs anyway...) 


Bet I couldn't take a picture like this in July - something to be said for visiting on a rainy day in January.



This statue in the interior of the church is a bust of William Walker who literally saved the cathedral in the early 1900's.  Huge cracks started appearing in the walls and ceiling of the cathedral and it was in danger of collapse.  The cathedral lays on top of peaty soil with a high water table. A professional diver, Mr. Walker worked in complete darkness under water for six years six hours a day in depths of up to 20 feet  to excavate the flooded trenches placing bags of concrete in them.  When he took his lunch break he would just remove his helmet as the diving suit was too bulky and heavy to remove. Once his job was completed the ground water could be pumped out and the walls braced by bricklayers.   Below is a statue of him in the garden.



Yes, he even has a pub named after him!  I didn't make it to the pub this time but next time I am in Winchester I will definitely visit it and raise a glass of him.  What a hero!!!

I missed visiting the Crypt which has a beautiful sculpture by Antony Gormley.  The reason for this is the stairs looked too intimidating for my sore knee.  I do regret that but hope to visit again someday with my new super duper bionic knee.

Hope you enjoyed the quick visit to the cathedral.  Definitely worth a visit.  It is open every day and charges an admission fee but well worth it.  There is a lovely restaurant in the grounds (I can't vouch for the food as I was headed for the pub) and lots of eateries and pubs nearby.

































Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Peeing on fish or a fish out of water

Well this morning we headed off by boat to Siem Reap.  Due to the low water on the Tonie Sap Lake (more like a river until near the end of the trip when it widened considerably) the trip would be an 8 hour one... It was supposed to be boring but ended up as anything but...in no certain order...let's see.... We had a rest stop (turned out to be the only one) along the way and the loo was just a hole over the lake and there were fish circling around underneath.  Yes it was just a hole in the floor...you definitely had someone watch your stuff while you went in or one false move and your camera/purse or whatever would be in the lake.  The fish either like the warm pee coming in or they are pervs and like to see ladies parts.  We were just a few minutes out when all of a sudden there was something flying over me and jumping all over the floor - a little fish!  Guess he wanted to join the tour.  Roger reached down and scooped him up while I hooted and hollered.  Okay it wasn&#

A walk along the coffin trail (and a couple of lakes) in the Lake District

While in the Lake District I wanted to do some light walking but not heavy duty hiking where I could easily get lost and my body not found for days partially eaten by hungry...sheep?  Anyway, you get the drift...not too grueling and safe for a solo walker.  I get a bit nervous when I am too far from civilization. There are lots of books about walking in the Lake District but they seem to be all about walking the fells in remote places...neither Thelma nor I fancied that.  While browsing in the post office/shop in Ambleside one day (if you are ever in Ambleside you must go there - a treasure!) I found a stand of walk descriptions on post cards.  And there I found my walk.  After all who could resist a stroll on the "coffin trail" in William Wordsworth country... I took a look and thought hmm...cafe along the route...that works for me. (with at least the security of knowing there was an available "loo" along the way.)  Okay, I may not have totally followed the

The highlights of my Fall 2023 trip

I'm back home after a great six weeks away. This was a "short" trip for me.  So here we go with an overview of my trip.   London London for me is always a good idea.  I fell in love with it back in the mid 70's and it's been calling me back ever since. Some of the best things in my life have happened in London.  When I learned my two Oz friends Loraine and Linda were going to be in London in the fall I knew I had to be there.  And what fun we had!!  Of course, I did loads of other things as well.  I spent two weeks there from mid September until very early October and then back again for four nights at the end of October before flying home.   After over five years (delayed for two and a half years thanks to Covid) of walking, I finally finished the 126 km Capital Ring.  The picture above is taken at the end of my walk and where I started in May of 2018 at the main door of Streatham Common station just steps from my B and B.  What a walk!  I got to see so much more