Skip to main content

Day 9 on the Thames Path - Shepperton to Chertsey

For a long while I didn't think I would ever write that title again...but here I am.  Tired but happy. (might not be so happy tomorrow morning...time will tell!) It was a dream come true to be back on the path again and I had the biggest grin on my face for most of it - even when I was ploughing my way along muddy paths.

Today was a short one - my Garmin watch tells me I walked about nine km.  Probably only about four and a half km (if that) was on the actual path as I had to walk to and from the railway stations at the beginning and the end of my walk.  However it's a start and I proved to myself that I can do it.

Staying in South London has its advantages as I have easy access to the rail network that takes me to the towns along the Thames Path...and I now have a Seniors rail card so save 30% on my rail fares.  It's all good!

I can't remember too much about Shepperton rail station - after all last time I had "celebrated" the end of the walk with a glass of wine on an empty stomach and not enough hydration.... Thank goodness for google maps as I found my way to Shepperton Lock which is where I would have ended up if the ferry had been running that day...but no worries as today I got to see more of the town itself.  Quite nice actually and I wouldn't mind more of a snoop around some day when I am not walking. 



That's tellin' 'em!! 


St Nicholas Church


And there it was...my old friend the Thames. This is the ferry I would have been on if it had been running two years back....but it was cancelled due to high water....which forced me to walk further than perhaps I should have.  My knee did not forgive me for that walk for a long time...




The Thames Path used the road for a while but no worries as it wasn't very busy.


Lots of daffodils to come!


I was so excited to be back on the trail I asked a man passing by if he could take my photo - he happily obliged so he and his wife got to hear all about Thelma and my two year break in walking the path.


This swan came out of the water and striding towards me which was kind of cool until I thought "oh shit maybe he/she has eggs around here and he/she is protecting them" - so I got the "hell out of dodge" fairly quickly. 

How the other half lives - there were some very nice houses in this neck of the woods.


Oh look - a pub!  No Laurie, it's too early to go to the pub....


The road turned inland and the path began...it was fairly muddy as there has been quite a bit of rain lately. 



Lots of canal boats along this part of the river.




A messy "kissing gate" to get through.



The only dog and dog walker today - the doggie's name was Sandy which was the name of my dog so that made me all sentimental and I made a big fuss of her.


Another kissing gate at the other end of the meadow as they graze cattle here... but none today.


Chertsey Bridge and the end of my walk...


And this is where I will start next time!!!

Then it was to a pub to celebrate.  This time I stuck with coke! 


Jacket potato with ooey gooey cheese and prawns.  Yum!

I will be back to see you again my old friend.....soon, very soon....



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Peeing on fish or a fish out of water

Well this morning we headed off by boat to Siem Reap.  Due to the low water on the Tonie Sap Lake (more like a river until near the end of the trip when it widened considerably) the trip would be an 8 hour one... It was supposed to be boring but ended up as anything but...in no certain order...let's see.... We had a rest stop (turned out to be the only one) along the way and the loo was just a hole over the lake and there were fish circling around underneath.  Yes it was just a hole in the floor...you definitely had someone watch your stuff while you went in or one false move and your camera/purse or whatever would be in the lake.  The fish either like the warm pee coming in or they are pervs and like to see ladies parts.  We were just a few minutes out when all of a sudden there was something flying over me and jumping all over the floor - a little fish!  Guess he wanted to join the tour.  Roger reached down and scooped him up while I hooted and hollered.  Okay it wasn&#

A walk along the coffin trail (and a couple of lakes) in the Lake District

While in the Lake District I wanted to do some light walking but not heavy duty hiking where I could easily get lost and my body not found for days partially eaten by hungry...sheep?  Anyway, you get the drift...not too grueling and safe for a solo walker.  I get a bit nervous when I am too far from civilization. There are lots of books about walking in the Lake District but they seem to be all about walking the fells in remote places...neither Thelma nor I fancied that.  While browsing in the post office/shop in Ambleside one day (if you are ever in Ambleside you must go there - a treasure!) I found a stand of walk descriptions on post cards.  And there I found my walk.  After all who could resist a stroll on the "coffin trail" in William Wordsworth country... I took a look and thought hmm...cafe along the route...that works for me. (with at least the security of knowing there was an available "loo" along the way.)  Okay, I may not have totally followed the

The highlights of my Fall 2023 trip

I'm back home after a great six weeks away. This was a "short" trip for me.  So here we go with an overview of my trip.   London London for me is always a good idea.  I fell in love with it back in the mid 70's and it's been calling me back ever since. Some of the best things in my life have happened in London.  When I learned my two Oz friends Loraine and Linda were going to be in London in the fall I knew I had to be there.  And what fun we had!!  Of course, I did loads of other things as well.  I spent two weeks there from mid September until very early October and then back again for four nights at the end of October before flying home.   After over five years (delayed for two and a half years thanks to Covid) of walking, I finally finished the 126 km Capital Ring.  The picture above is taken at the end of my walk and where I started in May of 2018 at the main door of Streatham Common station just steps from my B and B.  What a walk!  I got to see so much more