Skip to main content

Strawberry Hill House (forever!)

When I first saw a picture of Strawberry Hill House I knew I had to visit it.  A romantic looking white castley (is that a word) looking building - what's not to love?


So on Monday, April 23rd I made a last minute decision to visit that day.  I was able to get a 30% discount with my Seniors Railcard.  With all the travel I did in the United Kingdom this year it was well worth the price of thirty pounds - another benefit of being old! (besides growing up with the best music ever) 

As we know I am directionally challenged but after asking a couple of people I managed to find my way from Strawberry Hill station in Twickenham and it turned out to be about a ten minute walk.  I had booked online (there is a limited amount of people admitted to the house so I decided to be sensible and book ahead...it's a long way to go to be refused entry) but of course had no time to go to the library to get it printed but the confirmation number on my phone was accepted. (and it looked like I had been the only one who had booked online that day...the rest just showed up)  I was miffed though as no seniors discount.  Boooooo!  On the other hand, no school groups.  Wheee!!!!

Before I show you the house, here's a little history on Strawberry Hill House.  In 1747 Horace Walpole purchased "Chopp'd Straw Hall" on the banks of the Thames in Twickenham which was just a few old cottages and turned it into the first and finest example of Georgian Gothic Revival architecture in Britain.   He was the son of the first British Prime Minister, Sir Robert Walpole and  very involved in 18t18th-centurylitics, literature as well as the arts.  In fact, he wrote the world's first Gothic novel.  Being independently wealthy Horace was able to indulge his passions to the max. Lucky guy! As he died single and childless the house was passed on to extended family.  Lady Waldegrave was related through marriage and did a lot of restoration in the mid 19th century.  Eventually, it was sold and is now owned by St Mary's University College.  It was recently restored with assistance from a lottery fund and private donations.  The results are breathtaking and it is easily one of the most beautiful stately homes I have visited.  It's a popular venue for weddings and I can see why.

So let's go have a look!!



These were on the staircases...bars around to protect from little hands but can't see those would help much.  Fun fact: Horace Walpole opened his house to four visitors a day but no children were allowed!



The restored stained glass was amazing and my favourite feature of the house.  I could have stood and stared at the detail for hours.


What a ceiling!!





A blue (is there any other colour?)  room..with a fireplace...may I move in please?




Nope, didn't read it.



Eek, eek...look at all those BOOKS!!!


These covered one of the ceilings!





The guide did explain the significance of this but I can't remember now.  There were volunteers in most of the rooms who did an excellent job of telling me about the features.  In one ear and out the other sad to say.







Such a beautiful fireplace.  What a beautiful house it was - loved it!  Now it's time to go outside and explore the garden...


This is the shell seat.  I was the only one wandering around then or I would have loved to have had my picture taken sitting on it.  So beautiful.




It was a lovely but short walk along here.









What a fabulous place!  The grounds used to extend right down to the Thames but now you can't even see it as it has been built up with houses.  It's no wonder I couldn't see it Strawberry Hill House  when I wandered along that part of the Thames Path three years ago.

They have a great gift shop and the tiny teashop has lovely cakes.

If you want to learn more about Strawberry Hill house click here.

You can get to Strawberry Hill House by South Eastern train from London Waterloo.  The direct journey takes about 40 minutes.  Well worth the trip!  Entry is a bit steep at £12.50 for an adult admission but there is a discount if you belong to the National Trust or have a companion and have taken the train.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A walk from Westminster to St Paul's Cathedral

I have decided to put the Thames Path on hold until I am back in London next month and we have more Spring like weather...I will be going into a more rural area that is prone to flooding as well.  I am staying at about five miles maximum a day as well...my knees and feet have been giving me major grief so I am not pushing myself. However that doesn't mean I don't want to walk.  One of my favourite British Walking Federation walks is one that starts at Westminster tube station and covers 10km to St Katherines Docks just east of the Tower of London.  Yesterday I walked as far as St Paul's and will do the rest of the walk in the next couple of days.  Normally I do this entire 10 km walk my first day in London but not this time... So here are some of the highlights along the way....what a gorgeous day it was.  A different view of Big Ben Can you believe this was my first time on Parliament Square Another hero on Parliament Square Classic ...

The Colourful houses of Mazatlan, Mexico

Well this isn't even Throwback Thursday and I am reminiscing about my (all too short) week in Mazatlan, Mexcico in January of 2010.  It was one of my best holidays EVER.  I stayed in a delightful little hotel called La Siesta which was on the waterfront in the central part of town.(known as centro) overlooking the ocean.   I walked around the town photographing buildings, ocean views, dogs....visited the Mercado, attended a fantastic Flamenco dance performance in the restored Teatro (theatre), toasted the sunset with a beer from my balcony every evening and ate at some wonderful restaurants.  I also took a couple of day trips which were okay but my time in Mazatlan overshadowed anything else I did. My one foray into the Gold (tourist) Zone left me horrified and scampering back to my beloved Centro.  And did I mention I did this as a solo trip?  Mexico has had a lot of bad press lately and while there ARE bad things going on there I still believe the average...

Cowboys and Outlaws in the Big Muddy of Saskatchewan

One of the (very) few advantages of being stuck at home during this pandemic has been an opportunity to see more of my home province of Saskatchewan.  Last summer and fall not only did I do a couple of day trips with friends but I took four day tours with Engelheim transport, a local Regina company.   I have to admit my favourite day out was the "Big Muddy Valley and Outlaws" tour. While I had been to the Big Muddy previously many years back I was eager to revisit and learn more of its history.   So in early October, I hopped on board and off we went.  The bus is only booked to half capacity so it was easy to social distance, hand gel was a must each time we boarded the bus,  masks were required when you got on and off the bus and in any buildings we visited.  I felt totally safe and oh my, it was so good to have an adventure!!  Despite the name the Big Muddy isn't a big huge puddle of mud but a valley of badlands that were formed from a glac...