Skip to main content

Day 12 on the Thames Path - Windsor to Old Windsor

On May 17th, 2018 I was back on the Thames Path for the last time on this trip.  The plan was to take the train to Windsor and the bus back to Old Windsor and carry on from where I ended my walk the week before.  Well the best-laid plans and all that....

The trip to Windsor went smoothly and the train station and surrounding area left you no doubt as to what was happening very soon. 




To my dismay, I discovered the town centre was blocked off and I couldn't follow through on my plans to get the bus to Old Windsor.  Grrr...I was not happy.  At that point I did not know it was the rehearsal for the wedding - I never would have gone if I'd known.  Ah well.  So I made the executive decision to walk backwards on the trail to Old Windsor. That is walk the path the other way - not walk backwards.  That would just be weird.  I was upset because Windsor had been a long time goal and I had wanted the feeling of triumph walking into Windsor.  "Damn bloody wedding" I muttered to myself and getting myself in quite a stroppy nasty mood I am ashamed to say. Disclaimer:  We had a lovely time watching the wedding on telly two days later eating one of four cakes Claudia made as well as home made scones and downing Presecco...all was forgiven.  

I have enough problems following directions but in reverse?  "Oh oh" I thought to myself "this is gonna get ugly".  And it kind of did...



I made my way to the river but didn't know which way to turn...I had to ask someone who seemed like they were a local and they pointed me to the right of the picture.  Lucky I asked as I thought it was to the left and I would have been heading south instead of the north I was supposed to be going.  In my defense, I had no idea I would have to figure that part out because I was going to walk INTO Windsor. 

So off I went, fingers crossed that the woman knew what the hell she was talking about and I didn't end up in Maidenhead in the other direction. 



The walk started out quite pleasant.... and then....



I got to walk through a trailer/caravan park in Home Park - at least I think this was the trail... then again who knows.  Once I got out of this area I had the choice of walking into a boat place that seemed to be a dead end or step over a "private property, do not enter" sign (that had been there for a while) on a low fence to get back onto the path.  Guess what I did?  


Yep, you got that right.  I only saw one other soul on this path and they disappeared just after I saw them....it was a beautiful path but I kept thinking "am I going to get shot"  After all Windsor was just a half mile or so away and maybe they thought I was a terrorist. I know, doesn't take much to freak me out if I'm in the right mood.  And I was. 



Victoria Bridge that I will soon be crossing over....bur first I have to get up to it....




Nope, this won't work...okay why is this a protected site...maybe I don't want to know....there was no proper entrance to the bridge from where I was...then again I was where I wasn't supposed to be!  There was a low fence all along the road leading to the bridge so I swung my legs over and I was off - I was getting good at this.  



View from the bridge...St George's Chapel where the wedding will take place - with media in the foreground. 


The view from Victoria Bridge was pretty.  The bridge was built in 1851 but heavily damaged from tanks crossing it during World War II and was closed for years.  It was replaced with a concrete structure.and reopened in 1967. 





On the other side of the bridge I turned right and carried on to Datchet...the path was pretty but it was also deserted.  I probably saw two people on the path that day - either nobody walks it or they aren't as dumb as me walking it two days before the Royal Wedding.  It was kind of creepy...okay a lot creepy! 



It was pretty though - I'll give it that! 



Until I got into Datchet and the signs told me to walk around this field.  This is looking back on the path...I didn't like the narrow path one little bit.  I guess I could have kept walking along the main road to the bridge but the signs pointed me this way.  



 Nope I did not like this one little bit...not much room to walk and I tried not to think about snakes.  Guess I would have found out if Thelma could jump fences in a hurry! 


The sign just before the bridge and yes directing people to go on three sides of that field. I crossed over the bridge and carried on. 



Yes, a pretty path but I was just not feeling the love on this path.  I felt very alone and kept thinking what if I trip and fall and hurt myself....how long will it take someone to find me?  My only company was the planes flying overhead in and out of Heathrow airport.  So noisy, honestly how does the Queen stand it?  Oh yes, she probably has very thick window panes. 



Looking back towards the bridge I had just crossed over



This bit was kind of nice. 



You can see one of the many planes that took off or landed during my walk. 



Are we there yet?  Despite the beauty, I just did not enjoy this part of the Thames. 



Old Windsor Lock...yay, we are getting near Old Windsor! 






Seeing this swan family was probably the highlight of the walk  - especially as I was almost finished! 

I ended up back at the same pub in Old Windsor I had been before. I just needed a coke (cold and sweet) a sit-down and something light to eat and I knew Windsor would be a mad house.  The pub was The Bell of Ouzeley Harvester - not recommended but when you've walked for a few hours anything looks good. The bus stop was right beside it which was handy as well.  When I got on the bus and asked for Windsor he told me the bus wasn't going there.  WHAT?  No, only to Eton as Windsor was still closed off.  However, it could have been worse..I could have been one of the people who had luggage (the bus originated at Heathrow airport) and had to walk the half hour from where we got dropped off in Eton. Anyway that got me into another snit...I was not a happy camper that day that is for sure. 



These boots are made for walking....



I walked along the main street in Eton which was all decked out for the wedding...mumble, mumble, mumble. 


I crossed back over the bridge to Windsor and got the train back to Streatham.  On the left side of the picture where the tables and people are is where I started the walk heading towards the bridge where I took this picture.   When I carry on next year I will cross this bridge again and walk on the right hand side in the other direction.  Destination in 2019:  Henley On Thames!!!  So far I have done 56 miles out of 180 miles so I have a long way to go.  Will I finish it?  Probably not...but it is sure fun trying!  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Peeing on fish or a fish out of water

Well this morning we headed off by boat to Siem Reap.  Due to the low water on the Tonie Sap Lake (more like a river until near the end of the trip when it widened considerably) the trip would be an 8 hour one... It was supposed to be boring but ended up as anything but...in no certain order...let's see.... We had a rest stop (turned out to be the only one) along the way and the loo was just a hole over the lake and there were fish circling around underneath.  Yes it was just a hole in the floor...you definitely had someone watch your stuff while you went in or one false move and your camera/purse or whatever would be in the lake.  The fish either like the warm pee coming in or they are pervs and like to see ladies parts.  We were just a few minutes out when all of a sudden there was something flying over me and jumping all over the floor - a little fish!  Guess he wanted to join the tour.  Roger reached down and scooped him up while I hooted and hollered.  Okay it wasn&#

A walk along the coffin trail (and a couple of lakes) in the Lake District

While in the Lake District I wanted to do some light walking but not heavy duty hiking where I could easily get lost and my body not found for days partially eaten by hungry...sheep?  Anyway, you get the drift...not too grueling and safe for a solo walker.  I get a bit nervous when I am too far from civilization. There are lots of books about walking in the Lake District but they seem to be all about walking the fells in remote places...neither Thelma nor I fancied that.  While browsing in the post office/shop in Ambleside one day (if you are ever in Ambleside you must go there - a treasure!) I found a stand of walk descriptions on post cards.  And there I found my walk.  After all who could resist a stroll on the "coffin trail" in William Wordsworth country... I took a look and thought hmm...cafe along the route...that works for me. (with at least the security of knowing there was an available "loo" along the way.)  Okay, I may not have totally followed the

The highlights of my Fall 2023 trip

I'm back home after a great six weeks away. This was a "short" trip for me.  So here we go with an overview of my trip.   London London for me is always a good idea.  I fell in love with it back in the mid 70's and it's been calling me back ever since. Some of the best things in my life have happened in London.  When I learned my two Oz friends Loraine and Linda were going to be in London in the fall I knew I had to be there.  And what fun we had!!  Of course, I did loads of other things as well.  I spent two weeks there from mid September until very early October and then back again for four nights at the end of October before flying home.   After over five years (delayed for two and a half years thanks to Covid) of walking, I finally finished the 126 km Capital Ring.  The picture above is taken at the end of my walk and where I started in May of 2018 at the main door of Streatham Common station just steps from my B and B.  What a walk!  I got to see so much more