Skip to main content

Staying cool on the prairies and some future plans

My little burst of travel is over and it's back to reality.  Ah well, it was fun while it lasted.  And reality at home really isn't that bad...as long as I get my "every three months" escape...otherwise I get a bit growly. 

If you follow me on Facebook you know I was in Winnipeg, Manitoba and Edmonton, Alberta to see Paul McCartney for what seems to be my annual two concerts.  I was so happy that he toured Canada as right now I am avoiding travel in the U.S. while that buffoon is running it.  Sorry to get political but it is scary times right now.  

Anyway I got off topic again..I am good at that.  It seemed that fall has bypassed us and we went from summer right to winter - no messing around.  It was COLD in both Winnipeg and Edmonton.  We would love this weather in December but after a hotter than normal summer, not so much at this point on the calender. 

Winnipeg, Manitoba 

I was so happy to get back to Winnipeg - it had been years.  I had gone to see family members back in the 80's and 90's...not my own...my "other life" folks.  However I hadn't really had time to SEE it.  I have been in and out on my way to the US on the 'hound but I really hadn't spent much actually exploring since 1977.   All I can say is Winnipeg gets a bad rap!  I will be writing about my time there soon (but we do know I still have LOTS to tell you about my four and a half month adventure AND Newfoundland).  Highlights were:  Paul (of course!), going on a Hermetic Code tour of the Legislative Buildings and seeing the Journey to Churchill exhibit at the Winnipeg Zoo.  I stayed in a studio apartment downtown that I had booked through Airbnb.  It was absolutely perfect and was a ten minute walk to most places downtown.  I would definitely stay there again. 


The Winnipeg Legislative Building (provincial capital) - what is known as the Golden Boy is actually the Greek God Hermes and also known as the Roman God Mercury. 


To my knowledge the first time I have tried pickerel...it was hands down in the top five fish and chips I have had in my life...Fergie's fish and chips in The Forks.  Go!! 


Hmmm...what is a sphinx doing on the Legislative Buildings?  I found out why! 


I call this picture claws - the polar bears at Journey to Churchill were having play fights and when they weren't doing that they were watching "seal TV".  Seals have an adjoining area that is separated by glass.  I am so in awe of these creatures.  Someday, somehow I will get to Churchill for real! 

Edmonton, Alberta

On to Edmonton.  I was lucky enough to score a room with Airbnb that was across from the Rogers arena where Paul played.  I didn't have the place to myself but did have a large bedroom and a bathroom for my own use.  The young Brazilian hosts were pleasant and helpful.  They had just moved to Canada six months ago and I loved the fact that me renting a room was helping them get established in their new home. 

The concert, once again was wonderful!  And I'm not just saying that as a gushing fan (though I plead guilty to that) - everyone I have talked to has enjoyed his concerts even if they aren't a huge fan.  So what else did I get up to?  


Eating a Dutch pancake (pannekoeken) bigger than my head wasn't unpleasant..


I went to the West Edmonton Mall - have been there half a billion times before but when in Edmonton....I didn't escape unscathed.  I got myself a new Swatch that I designed myself!  


I took a free tour of the Legislative Buildings - lived here for nearly a year back in the 70's and have visited numerous times - first time inside the building!  It was interesting. 


I walked from my airbnb via the Legistlative Buildings, crossed a bridge across the river and made it to Old Strathcona.  

Lethbridge, Alberta

I came home for three nights...and then I was off again to visit family in Lethbridge, Alberta for Canadian Thanksgiving.  And some trip planning...  

My cousin and her husband built a beautiful home right beside the coulees so for the three days of good weather we had we went walking!  





Oh yeah...and we ate.   Lots!  Delicious!  

I have certainly had my share of air travel lately as I flew everywhere.  I thought about renting a car to drive to Lethbridge but came to the conclusion it was more economical to fly as I wasn't planning to visit anywhere else.  With the weather (snow the last day) I am glad I made that decision.  

Where to (almost) next? 

My cousin and I are going to take a trip together in the Spring and now I can share being as we know what we are doing!  We are going to the United Kingdom.  Wow, what a surprise!  But as you know that is my favourite place in the world.  We have worked out an itinerary - nothing booked for now except at my second home in Streatham in London.  For three weeks we will tour around the UK.  First up to York and then over to visit family near the Yorkshire coast.  Anyone heard of the British TV series "Heartbeat"?  Yep, that's pretty much where we are staying.  We will be visiting our cousins there.  It will be great to see everyone again.  From there we head north to beautiful Edinburgh for a few days to walk the Royal Mile and see the sights for three days before heading back down to the Lake District.  I adore the Lake District and am thrilled to be back there a year later.  Joanne's parents loved the area and had their honeymoon there so we are going to go to the pub where they stayed for a meal and visit my aunt's favourite lake (one I didn't make it to this time) so I know they will be in our thoughts while we are there. Of course, we will be visiting other areas of the Lakes as well. Then it's over to North Wales for a few days, a place I haven't been to since 1984.  Finally it's down to London (of course!) for six days which will include a day trip down to see the village and surrounding area that our grandparents came from in Gloucestershire.  I am so excited to show Joanne the iconic places in London (she has been there but not for decades!) as well as my favourite places and I am thrilled she wants five days there.  After she flies home in late May I will stay on in London for a week or so to hopefully walk the Thames Path as well as the Capital Ring - and let's face it, after that itinerary... to rest a bit as well!!   If my right knee hangs in there and behaves itself I will be spending most of June in Europe - where exactly I am not sure yet.  I have ideas but am not going to plan anything until this winter.  This trip won't be nearly as long as the last one and I hope to be back in Canada after my birthday in mid July.  So she says now...

As far as the winter goes it's still a work in progress.  There won't be any tropical sunsets or beaches I can tell you that...I had hoped to visit Mexico City and San Miguel de Allende but my budget says NOOOOO so that's that.  I am not a beach holiday all inclusive person.  I like interesting places with culture and wandering into fascinating neighbourhoods with my camera.  It would be a boring world if we were all the same wouldn't it?  Anyway when I have things sorted for this winter I will let you know. I HAVE to get out of icy cold Saskatchewan at some point or I will go crazier than I am already. 

And that's the latest....I think my "writer's block" is over for now. Here's hoping!!!  

Enjoy autumn/fall and keep dreaming! 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Peeing on fish or a fish out of water

Well this morning we headed off by boat to Siem Reap.  Due to the low water on the Tonie Sap Lake (more like a river until near the end of the trip when it widened considerably) the trip would be an 8 hour one... It was supposed to be boring but ended up as anything but...in no certain order...let's see.... We had a rest stop (turned out to be the only one) along the way and the loo was just a hole over the lake and there were fish circling around underneath.  Yes it was just a hole in the floor...you definitely had someone watch your stuff while you went in or one false move and your camera/purse or whatever would be in the lake.  The fish either like the warm pee coming in or they are pervs and like to see ladies parts.  We were just a few minutes out when all of a sudden there was something flying over me and jumping all over the floor - a little fish!  Guess he wanted to join the tour.  Roger reached down and scooped him up while I hooted and hollered.  Okay it wasn&#

A walk along the coffin trail (and a couple of lakes) in the Lake District

While in the Lake District I wanted to do some light walking but not heavy duty hiking where I could easily get lost and my body not found for days partially eaten by hungry...sheep?  Anyway, you get the drift...not too grueling and safe for a solo walker.  I get a bit nervous when I am too far from civilization. There are lots of books about walking in the Lake District but they seem to be all about walking the fells in remote places...neither Thelma nor I fancied that.  While browsing in the post office/shop in Ambleside one day (if you are ever in Ambleside you must go there - a treasure!) I found a stand of walk descriptions on post cards.  And there I found my walk.  After all who could resist a stroll on the "coffin trail" in William Wordsworth country... I took a look and thought hmm...cafe along the route...that works for me. (with at least the security of knowing there was an available "loo" along the way.)  Okay, I may not have totally followed the

The highlights of my Fall 2023 trip

I'm back home after a great six weeks away. This was a "short" trip for me.  So here we go with an overview of my trip.   London London for me is always a good idea.  I fell in love with it back in the mid 70's and it's been calling me back ever since. Some of the best things in my life have happened in London.  When I learned my two Oz friends Loraine and Linda were going to be in London in the fall I knew I had to be there.  And what fun we had!!  Of course, I did loads of other things as well.  I spent two weeks there from mid September until very early October and then back again for four nights at the end of October before flying home.   After over five years (delayed for two and a half years thanks to Covid) of walking, I finally finished the 126 km Capital Ring.  The picture above is taken at the end of my walk and where I started in May of 2018 at the main door of Streatham Common station just steps from my B and B.  What a walk!  I got to see so much more