Skip to main content

2018...what an adventurous year!

2018 was another epic year of adventure for me...due to circumstances it was all in the first half of the year!  I had ten days in between my return from London in May and my eleven day tour to Newfoundland in early June.  Except for a week away in the fall to see Paul McCartney in two concerts (of course!) in Winnipeg (definitely a place on my "to do" list as it had been too long and when I heard he was to be in that city I KNEW I had to be there) and  Edmonton (a consolation "prize" for being not being able to afford a trip to the UK for Paul's Xmas concerts) I've been home for over six months. Six months!  I must confess I did have the post-trip blues this summer...nothing serious but it is hard to adjust to life at home when you have been on the road for five months.  While it was wonderful seeing friends again and getting into somewhat of a routine I missed the magic of having adventures most days.  So I am just going to write as ideas come to my head....I will list ten experiences from my trip that pop into my head and they will be in no particular order.  

1)  Seeing puffins "fairly" up close in Newfoundland in June. 

I love puffins!  The best place to see them in Newfoundland is at a lookout in Elliston.  No bobbing about on a boat in the water like I did in Iceland - just have a decent lens on your camera or even better binoculars and there they are, just across from you.  What a thrill!  They nest here from May until late September; returning to the sea for the rest of the year.  Elliston has the closest land viewing of puffins in North America.  






The scenery wasn't bad either - lots of "doo doo" covered rocks but that's okay.  

2)  My time in Budapest Hungary in early April.  

I really loved that city and can see me returning for a week or so, preferably in the winter...so I can wander the museums and sip hot chocolate in coffee shops, shoot moody black and white photos and even better...try out one of the many warm mineral baths every day!  



Beautiful St Mathias church



Shoes on the Danube...a sculpture dedicated to the thousands of Hungarians (mostly Jewish) who were assassinated by fascist Hungarian Arrow Cross militants.  They were ordered to take off their shoes, were shot and their bodies fell into the Danube.  Horrific. 



A classic view of Budapest...taken from the grounds of Buda Castle with the Hungarian Parliament Building on prominent display. 



View from Pest across to Buda Castle with the endearing Little Princess sculpture. (looks more like a jester to me).   Directly behind her are tram tracks. 

3)  My week in Fort Kochi, India in early March 

After my fun but exhausting tour of Sri Lanka  I needed some downtime.  I had anticipated this so had booked 8 days at a small homestay in the charming little enclave of Fort Kochi in the southern Indian state of Kerala. It is just what I needed.  I absolutely loved wandering the streets, popping into cafes, walking along the seafront and watching the fishermen operate the Chinese fishing nets.  I got to be such a familiar figure that at least one rickshaw driver would yell "hey, Canada" when I walked by!  It is someplace that I definitely hope to return to. As a solo female I felt totally safe however I would be a bit cautious wandering around certain areas at night . 



A Chinese fishing net



You can buy these and get a nearby restaurant to cook it for you - maybe next time! 



I walked down this street a lot! 



And yes, I befriended the local doggies...providing them with water.  The local shopkeepers feed them so they tended to turn their nose up at (most of) my offerings but they never said no to some cold water. 

For a typical day for me in Fort Kochi click here

4) A week in May in the beautiful Lake District 

I think this is now my favourite part of England now...okay, except for London.  Then again there is just so much to see in England and it's so beautiful it's hard to pick a favourite. 

I stayed in a bed and breakfast in Ambleside and it was a perfect base.  I took day trips to explore more of the areas that are difficult to see with public transport, attended a picnic in Peter Rabbit country and had a delightful walk in the Grasmere area.  And so much more!  And guess what?  I'm going back next year!!!  



Heading over the Wrynose Pass 




The broody Wastwater in the Western Lake District 



Rydal Water near Grasmere



Castlerigg Stone Circle

5)  A gathering of elephants in Sri Lanka in February

I was lucky enough to be in Sri Lanka AND in the right area to see a gathering of elephants in Kaudalla National Park.  This happens only once a year when the elephants migrate for fresh vegetation.  I have seen African elephants in the wild in Kenya but I have never seen so many elephants in one place before.  Something I will never forget - well as long as I have all my marbles that is. 






Windblown and less than flattering photo but I was in heaven!!!  

For a post on this day click here.

6)  Hiking the Skerwink Trail in Newfoundland in June 

This is a trail I had heard about forever but never thought I would get the chance to do it.  But I did -with a little help from my friends.  Despite the windy overcast weather, it was still incredibly beautiful and I am so happy I did it.  I've written a post about it. 






 7) My week on the Isle of Wight in late April/early May

Beautiful beaches, excellent public transport, cream teas galore, more thatched cottages than you could shake a stick at and donkeys!    I absolutely loved my week on the Isle of Wight and wish I could have stayed there longer.  Ah well, there is always next time! 



Thatched cottages in the gorgeous (very touristy) village of Godshill



Chocolate cream tea....heaven for this chocoholic 



Osborne House, summer home of Queen Victoria and Prince Albert - it was amazing and I would definitely go back again. I still need to write a post on this place! 



The beach at Sandown

8) Having my base in London.....

Anyone who reads this blog knows how I feel about London.  One day I will write a post about "London and me".  I fell in love with the city when I was just 22 and while sometimes the crowds (damn tourists!) get to me I know I will always love it.  It's been such a privilege to be able to visit so often (this last trip was number 27) and see the changes that have happened since my first visit in 1975.  I am fortunate to have a wonderful place to stay in Streatham  (South West London) with a fabulous host who is now a dear friend.  I just discovered this year that my great-grandparents were married in Streatham at a church near  my second home - how cool is that?  



The Horseguards are always fun to see.  I love the fact you can be bopping around central London and hear a "clop, clop, clop" and sure enough there they are prancing by.  



Spring in St James's Park - St James's Park IS London to me.  Everytime I go to London I have to go there and I think to myself (or sometimes scarily - even say it to myself out loud when I am alone)  "Now I am in London". 



On a Thames side beach.  Nobody swims here though!  


 I love the mix of old and new buildings in London. 

9)  My time on the island of Guernsey in late March 

I had been to the Channel Island of Jersey twice before but never to Guernsey.  I decided to change that so spent six days on the island.  While the weather could have been better I thoroughly enjoyed my time there and wouldn't be adverse to revisiting - especially along with a third visit to its rival island Jersey. 



Looking back towards the main town on the island; St Peter Port 



Torteval Church - and sheep! 



One of Guernsey's wonderful beaches....

It's time to fire off the cannon at Cornet Castle in St Peter Port 

10)  Standing under frolicking polar bears at the Journey to Churchill exhibit in Winnipeg 

Seeing polar bears in the wild is still on the bucket list.  For now, seeing orphan polar bears happily playing with each other (and watching seal TV...the seal exhibit is next door with a glass wall in between) will suit me just fine.  






There was so much more....Barcelona, seeing the Terracotta warriors in Liverpool, my walks along the Thames Path...I loved it all.  I am so glad I did all this traveling.  I've made sacrifices, live fairly frugally and don't have a lot of what most people my age have - but to me it's been totally worth it to have the freedom and resources to travel the world.  I am hoping for many more years like this. 

Now I can't wait for 2019!  





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Peeing on fish or a fish out of water

Well this morning we headed off by boat to Siem Reap.  Due to the low water on the Tonie Sap Lake (more like a river until near the end of the trip when it widened considerably) the trip would be an 8 hour one... It was supposed to be boring but ended up as anything but...in no certain order...let's see.... We had a rest stop (turned out to be the only one) along the way and the loo was just a hole over the lake and there were fish circling around underneath.  Yes it was just a hole in the floor...you definitely had someone watch your stuff while you went in or one false move and your camera/purse or whatever would be in the lake.  The fish either like the warm pee coming in or they are pervs and like to see ladies parts.  We were just a few minutes out when all of a sudden there was something flying over me and jumping all over the floor - a little fish!  Guess he wanted to join the tour.  Roger reached down and scooped him up while I hooted and hollered.  Okay it wasn&#

A walk along the coffin trail (and a couple of lakes) in the Lake District

While in the Lake District I wanted to do some light walking but not heavy duty hiking where I could easily get lost and my body not found for days partially eaten by hungry...sheep?  Anyway, you get the drift...not too grueling and safe for a solo walker.  I get a bit nervous when I am too far from civilization. There are lots of books about walking in the Lake District but they seem to be all about walking the fells in remote places...neither Thelma nor I fancied that.  While browsing in the post office/shop in Ambleside one day (if you are ever in Ambleside you must go there - a treasure!) I found a stand of walk descriptions on post cards.  And there I found my walk.  After all who could resist a stroll on the "coffin trail" in William Wordsworth country... I took a look and thought hmm...cafe along the route...that works for me. (with at least the security of knowing there was an available "loo" along the way.)  Okay, I may not have totally followed the

The highlights of my Fall 2023 trip

I'm back home after a great six weeks away. This was a "short" trip for me.  So here we go with an overview of my trip.   London London for me is always a good idea.  I fell in love with it back in the mid 70's and it's been calling me back ever since. Some of the best things in my life have happened in London.  When I learned my two Oz friends Loraine and Linda were going to be in London in the fall I knew I had to be there.  And what fun we had!!  Of course, I did loads of other things as well.  I spent two weeks there from mid September until very early October and then back again for four nights at the end of October before flying home.   After over five years (delayed for two and a half years thanks to Covid) of walking, I finally finished the 126 km Capital Ring.  The picture above is taken at the end of my walk and where I started in May of 2018 at the main door of Streatham Common station just steps from my B and B.  What a walk!  I got to see so much more