Skip to main content

Time with friends in a Danish Village - Part 1

Despite the rickety stairs and the dirty sink, our little home in Bisserup proved to be quite cozy - for the amount of time we stayed there that is! I just had a snoop and it's on Airbnb.  She has smartened it up a bit but of course you still have to walk downstairs to the bathroom. And the sink is still the same!  Berit insisted on fixing us breakfast every morning despite us protesting that we could easily pick up some pastries and fruit and have our breakfast in the flat.  She wouldn't hear of it.  No hardship; her breakfast spread was amazing! 

The walk to Berit's house

So every morning we would walk over to Berit's; it was less than a ten-minute walk but a scenic one.  Here are some photos taken over the six mornings we made the trip.  Claudia would make her tea (I had taken over a big bag of PG Tips from England for her - her favourite!) and I would make my coffee (provided) and then we would set off. 


This is the outside of the house we stayed in.  We had the entire upper floor.  My room's windows faced the front and Claudia's faced the other side.  Our kitchen overlooked the back.  


Yes, there were Highland Cattle in the fields by the house.  


In the field to our right as we walked to Berit's, there was a family of three - mom, dad and baby.  Mom and baby were usually close to the road so I always had to stop and murmur sweet nothings to this adorable baby.   No zoom lens needed for the picture above! 


I had to use a zoom for this one - the opposite field's inhabitants stayed further away in the field but still such a thrill to see them every morning. 



Okay here's another one of the baby...he/she needs a good grooming!  These ones were brown, not the normal reddish colour.  


This picture is looking ahead down the road - it was such a pretty walk and neither of us ever tired of it. 


And looking back - yes, we had to go up a bit of a hill.  It helped work up our appetite for our delicious breakfast! 


We turned down a path just before this delightful thatched roof cottage.  There were lots of thatched roof cottages in Bisserup.  More coming up in future posts! 


This translates as please remember bag! 

I won't post pictures of Berit and Alfred's house to preserve their privacy but here was the breakfast spread waiting for us each morning! Definitely worth walking that hill! 


There was always coffee for me, tea for Claudia, a boiled egg, cheese, cold cuts, meat paste, bread.  Delicious!!  Sometimes Alfred was there and sometimes he was at his job.  Looks like the day I took this picture it was just us girls. 

An exciting car trip!

After breakfast the first day Berit said she was going to take us on a short trip to the nearby town of Karrebaeksminde.  Less than five minutes on the road and Berit miraculously averted a disaster.  We were driving along a narrow road with high vegetation on each side.  As we went around a corner a huge tourist bus took the curve too wide and too fast and if it wasn't for Berit steering the car to the right and into the vegetation we would have been hit.  There likely would have been no more Restless Prairie Girl!  We were shocked, including Berit's poor little car that immediately shut off.  The bus?  It kept barreling along; it didn't even slow down.  Poor Berit was a nervous wreck and Claudia and I (who was in the front seat) weren't much better!  

Anyway, we carried on to the town where we had a quick look around before going to get a much needed ice cream.  We sat by the water and admired the view...




This is a bridge!  It's called the Grasshopper bridge and is folds up to allow boats through.  We didn't see it in action though.  



No, we didn't go swimming!  

A walk to the harbour

We then headed back to Bisserup as Alfred needed the car for his job that evening.  Sometimes he took his motorbike but that evening he couldn't take it.  No worries...because Claudia and I went for a walk down to their tiny harbour. Get ready!  I went a bit crazy with the photos and I just had to share a few.  The light was perfect!!!  


 







We made our way back to Berit's place and visited and relaxed for the rest of the afternoon.  This fellow joined us.  He doesn't belong to them but he comes by for a daily visit (and snack) that sometimes lasts hours! 


After a lovely supper of baked chicken, salad and bread we sat outside with our beer and wine.  What a lovely day!  The first of many more to come.  Stay tuned! 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Peeing on fish or a fish out of water

Well this morning we headed off by boat to Siem Reap.  Due to the low water on the Tonie Sap Lake (more like a river until near the end of the trip when it widened considerably) the trip would be an 8 hour one... It was supposed to be boring but ended up as anything but...in no certain order...let's see.... We had a rest stop (turned out to be the only one) along the way and the loo was just a hole over the lake and there were fish circling around underneath.  Yes it was just a hole in the floor...you definitely had someone watch your stuff while you went in or one false move and your camera/purse or whatever would be in the lake.  The fish either like the warm pee coming in or they are pervs and like to see ladies parts.  We were just a few minutes out when all of a sudden there was something flying over me and jumping all over the floor - a little fish!  Guess he wanted to join the tour.  Roger reached down and scooped him up while I hooted and hollered.  Okay it wasn&#

A walk along the coffin trail (and a couple of lakes) in the Lake District

While in the Lake District I wanted to do some light walking but not heavy duty hiking where I could easily get lost and my body not found for days partially eaten by hungry...sheep?  Anyway, you get the drift...not too grueling and safe for a solo walker.  I get a bit nervous when I am too far from civilization. There are lots of books about walking in the Lake District but they seem to be all about walking the fells in remote places...neither Thelma nor I fancied that.  While browsing in the post office/shop in Ambleside one day (if you are ever in Ambleside you must go there - a treasure!) I found a stand of walk descriptions on post cards.  And there I found my walk.  After all who could resist a stroll on the "coffin trail" in William Wordsworth country... I took a look and thought hmm...cafe along the route...that works for me. (with at least the security of knowing there was an available "loo" along the way.)  Okay, I may not have totally followed the

The highlights of my Fall 2023 trip

I'm back home after a great six weeks away. This was a "short" trip for me.  So here we go with an overview of my trip.   London London for me is always a good idea.  I fell in love with it back in the mid 70's and it's been calling me back ever since. Some of the best things in my life have happened in London.  When I learned my two Oz friends Loraine and Linda were going to be in London in the fall I knew I had to be there.  And what fun we had!!  Of course, I did loads of other things as well.  I spent two weeks there from mid September until very early October and then back again for four nights at the end of October before flying home.   After over five years (delayed for two and a half years thanks to Covid) of walking, I finally finished the 126 km Capital Ring.  The picture above is taken at the end of my walk and where I started in May of 2018 at the main door of Streatham Common station just steps from my B and B.  What a walk!  I got to see so much more