Skip to main content

A walk around Bristol

Let's take a break from Stockholm.  I think I am going to go back to shaking it up a bit and writing about my last two trips in no particular order.  Hey, the way our world is right now with Covid-19 we need all the little changes and excitement we can get!   

The International Volkssport club I belong to has map walks all over the world.  I've done the London walks multiple times.  It's crazy but I didn't do the one in Bath; don't ask me why.  Next time! 

I had printed off the walk instructions before I left home so on January 2nd I set off on the twenty-minute train trip to Bristol from Bath.  The walk began at Temple Meads station so it worked out perfectly.  The walk was 12 km and I wasn't sure I'd be able to walk that long however I was going to give it a good try! 

The walk went through the back of the railway station and onto the pathway beside the river Avon. 




The path then curved to the right still following the river and meandered beside Castle Park. 



Left Handed Giant?  Yes I wondered as well.  I later googled it and it's a brew pub!!!  



These are the ruins of St Peters's Church.  This church dates back to the 12th century and excavations suggest it was the first church in Bristol. It was bombed during the Bristol Blitz in the Second World war but is maintained and stands as a monument to the civilian war dead of Bristol . 




This looks like a pretty derelict building but I thought the mermaids were interesting. 



I was excited to see St Nicholas market but I was a bit early and nothing much was open. I have to say what I did say didn't excite me all that much but I would still try and get a visit in next time. 



A few seconds after I took this shot the light went off.  


I got a bit confused with the directions (doesn't take much) at the Pedestrian Plaza but finally found my way. 



Careful, careful on these cobblestones!!! 




This unique footbridge is called Pero's bridge.  It is named after Pero Jones who came to live in Bristol as the slave of John Pinney for 32 years.  



Love locks - yuck! 



I have no idea what this is supposed to be but it's not something I'd like to meet in a dark alley or any time really! 



The walk went by Bristol Cathedral and I decided to stop and go in.  My purpose was more to do with the state of my bladder (I had a flat white coffee on the train) than any spiritual enlightenment.  To my delight and relief, they had not only a public toilet but a cafe!  I took advantage of the first but thought better of the second as I was going to have lunch a bit further "down the road". 





I was surprised at how beautiful it was inside and it is definitely worth a visit if you're in the area. 



One last look before heading over to nearby Park Street to check out a Banksy.  



This is called "Well Hung Lover" - well can I just say this wasn't exactly what I was expecting?!!! 



I perused a nearby shop that was selling everything Banksy but you will be proud to hear I resisted buying a Banksy coaster!   Yes, I walked up this hill..both Bath and Bristol are fairly hilly, to put it mildly.  



I then made my way into Brandon Hill Park - this is the Cabot Tower.  It was built to commemorate the 400th anniversary of John Cabot's journey from Bristol to what is now my home and native land, Canada.  You can climb to the top for a view but as you can see it was kind of a miserable day plus let's face it, I needed my energy for the hills on the walk! 


I got a bit confused about which path to take (there were three) so I asked a lovely lady named Carole who was walking her two very naughty fox terriers named Aggie and Bertie.  (sorry didn't get a picture - thought that would be too weird to ask for a photo) She said she was going in my direction and would gladly show me a really nice way to get to Clifton.  I thought why not? And with that off went Aggie and Bertie into nearby bush and off she went as well.  So I carried on and was just leaving the park when she caught up with me.  We crossed the road and started up Constitution Hill.  Oh my goodness, up we went!   Meanwhile, she was regaling me with loads of local history that if I was sitting down with a cuppa would have been interesting but I was too busy thinking "please don't let me embarrass myself and huff and puff too loudly"  I'd gasp "how interesting" every now and then.  Finally we reached the top! 



Her (huge) house was nearby so she directed me the way she thought I would enjoy - reading the directions later it was the same way the walk went.  It was rather a bedraggled park/cemetery which I'm sure is delightful in the summer!  



This little guy was looking for some food and by this time so was I!  




Pretty but not in my budget and I don't think the dress code would go for a bedraggled walker. 



As my stomach rumbled (I had shoved a pastry down my gob on the train, washing it down with the flat white and that was breakfast) I walked around Clifton trying to find the perfect spot for lunch.  I found one on the Mall (sounds grander than it was) called the Mall Deli where I ordered cauliflower and cheese soup.  It hit the spot and I headed off to my next stop - Clifton Suspension Bridge!!!  

The Clifton Suspension Bridge is a toll funded bridge that has been open for over 150 years.  It was designed by Isambard Kingdom (his mother's maiden name, just so you know....) Brunel who sadly passed away five years before it was opened in 1864.  The bridge spans 702 feet and weighs 1500 tonnes. While it was designed for horses and carriages now more than four million cars cross the bridge yearly.  It is absolutely spectacular and I got to walk across it twice !!  



Now we have all sorts of fancy bridges but can you imagine how amazing this feat of engineering was back in the mid 19th century?  It is still so beautiful.  



I had a look at the outside of the Clifton Observatory but didn't dally - I had a bridge to walk across!  

I made my way down the hill and onto the road and there I was!!  






The view from one side of the bridge!  



This was one of those camera or in this case phone exchanges to take pictures for a perfect stranger. (I now hand my phone to people rather than my camera unless they are actually holding a camera because then I know they know how to use one!)   A few friendly words and we are on our way.  This has happened countless times.  Selfies don't do it for me plus I always look like I have five chins. (or as Phyllis Diller once quoted about a certain movie star "she has more chins than a Chinese phone book"...probably un-politically correct these days) 

I headed off the bridge over to the Leigh Woods.  Well!  As you can tell by my photos it was a dank dull day and let's just say my one week stay in this area was devoid of sunlight.  I started off and there was a decline in the path and it was very slippery.  I decided it wasn't prudent to carry on especially as I was on my own with no one in sight.  So I turned around and as I was leaving saw a couple who said they knew the area.  I asked if the adjoining road would get me back to the riverfront and they assured me they did.  Right!  After a short five minute walk I emerged onto a busy road with nowhere to walk.  So back over the bridge I went but I got to see the other side as well as the gift shop I had missed before. (and got myself a nice bookmark)   Silver linings! 

As well, I was able to stop and get a view and pictures from the "official" viewing platform which I would have missed on the other side. 





Then the "fun" began!!  I kept asking people and following google maps (although I sometimes get confused when they say "go west". I follow the sun, when it's not there I don't know where the heck I am!!)   Anyway, about 30 minutes later I found my way to the river.  One problem..I needed to get over to the other side!  



Here's a view across the river to the SS Great Britain.  This is Bristol's premier tourist attraction and Alan, my Airbnb host told me (more than once) I must go.  However, I skipped is this time as just didn't have the time and the crowds were something else.  Another Brunel design!  



Fifteen minutes later or so I came across a small ferry that would take you across the river for a pound.  So off I went and walked along the path on the other side. 





Looking across to the centre of Bristol.




This area was the docks.  Now no longer in use they are still using the sheds for different things like museums.  M Shed is a wonderful museum of Bristol history.  I visited briefly but would love to go back for a real look.  These cranes are used in the summer for demonstrations.  

Here is another Banksy!  The Grim Reaper was originally sketched on the Thekla Nighclub Ship and removed amongst great controversy from the hull complete with rivets, seawood and rust!  As Banksy's identity is not known officially it is believed he was born in a village near Bristol in 1974 and began his work here.  I missed out on seeing another one, "Girl with a Pierced Eardrum"  Next time! 


By this time I was getting really tired (or knackered as the Brits call it) so when I found the church open I gratefully collapsed on a pew.  This is St Mary Redcliffe (Redcliffe is the area it is in) church which was constructed between the 12th to the 15th centuries. Queen Elizabeth I described it as "the fairest, goodliest and most famous parish church in England". 

After a short rest I followed the directions over another bridge to my next destination - the rail station!  Yes!!  I did a 12 km walk!!   In fact, my detour made it even longer.  What an enjoyable walk.  

I felt a connection with Bristol and will definitely be back to visit the SS Great Britain, the M Shed and more.  

Hope you enjoyed my walk around Bristol! 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Peeing on fish or a fish out of water

Well this morning we headed off by boat to Siem Reap.  Due to the low water on the Tonie Sap Lake (more like a river until near the end of the trip when it widened considerably) the trip would be an 8 hour one... It was supposed to be boring but ended up as anything but...in no certain order...let's see.... We had a rest stop (turned out to be the only one) along the way and the loo was just a hole over the lake and there were fish circling around underneath.  Yes it was just a hole in the floor...you definitely had someone watch your stuff while you went in or one false move and your camera/purse or whatever would be in the lake.  The fish either like the warm pee coming in or they are pervs and like to see ladies parts.  We were just a few minutes out when all of a sudden there was something flying over me and jumping all over the floor - a little fish!  Guess he wanted to join the tour.  Roger reached down and scooped him up while I hooted and hollered.  Okay it wasn&#

A walk along the coffin trail (and a couple of lakes) in the Lake District

While in the Lake District I wanted to do some light walking but not heavy duty hiking where I could easily get lost and my body not found for days partially eaten by hungry...sheep?  Anyway, you get the drift...not too grueling and safe for a solo walker.  I get a bit nervous when I am too far from civilization. There are lots of books about walking in the Lake District but they seem to be all about walking the fells in remote places...neither Thelma nor I fancied that.  While browsing in the post office/shop in Ambleside one day (if you are ever in Ambleside you must go there - a treasure!) I found a stand of walk descriptions on post cards.  And there I found my walk.  After all who could resist a stroll on the "coffin trail" in William Wordsworth country... I took a look and thought hmm...cafe along the route...that works for me. (with at least the security of knowing there was an available "loo" along the way.)  Okay, I may not have totally followed the

The highlights of my Fall 2023 trip

I'm back home after a great six weeks away. This was a "short" trip for me.  So here we go with an overview of my trip.   London London for me is always a good idea.  I fell in love with it back in the mid 70's and it's been calling me back ever since. Some of the best things in my life have happened in London.  When I learned my two Oz friends Loraine and Linda were going to be in London in the fall I knew I had to be there.  And what fun we had!!  Of course, I did loads of other things as well.  I spent two weeks there from mid September until very early October and then back again for four nights at the end of October before flying home.   After over five years (delayed for two and a half years thanks to Covid) of walking, I finally finished the 126 km Capital Ring.  The picture above is taken at the end of my walk and where I started in May of 2018 at the main door of Streatham Common station just steps from my B and B.  What a walk!  I got to see so much more