Skip to main content

Helsinki -Day two - a LONG walk!

After walking so much the day before I decided to take it easy today.  Ha!  Well the best laid plans and all...

Early that morning I headed off to the Kamppi metro station.  My destination?  The Temppeliaukion Kirkko (Rock Church)  As I headed up the street I had to snap the lovely buildings on the way and this cute little guy...



Temppeliaukion Kirkko (Rock Church) 


This is the entrance to the church. 





As you can see in the first photo of the interior of the church there was someone playing the piano.  The accoustics were amazing and there are regular concerts held here.  I sat here for a while listening to the music and watching the scads of tourists. (they had mostly cleared out before I took these photos)  I had to laugh when I saw one woman doing an "instagram" moment for the camera - pretending to pray.  

I fancied a coffee so I headed over to the church cafe which was next door. 



Just in case you've forgotten!!!  This was a sign in the cafe's toilet.  It may seem ridiculous but the world is full of different toilets. (oh boy do I know...like the huge open pit I was supposed to hang my butt over in Nepal...needless to say the water works immediately seized up because I had visions of falling backwards into it.  Obviously set up by a man!)   In Asia there are still a lot of squat toilets (hell for those of us with bad knees) and I guess sometimes people squat on the toilet seat. Still, it always makes me giggle. 

After a flat white and a croissant (I think I skipped breakfast or it wasn't much) I headed off towards my next destination.  It seemed like I walked forever but it was probably just over an hour.  



I passed by the huge Hietaniemi cemetery and saw these Russian Orthodox graves. 

My goal was the beach!  Hietaranta Beach to be exact.  I don't know why I thought it necessary to see this place but I did.  I don't know what I expected; it's a beach and Scandinavia isn't exactly known for its wonderful beaches is it. 




Then I headed back to Mechelinkatu which was the main street leading to my next destination.  


Sibelius Monument 



This is the Sibelius Monument in Sebelius Park.  This sculpture honours Finland's most famous composer Jean Sibelius.  This structure was stunning with so much detail.  It was created by artist Eila Hiltunen in 1967 and the formation of its 600 steel pipes evoke a sound wave.   




This is the sculputed head of Sibelius. 



This photo was taken underneath the sculpture. 



And a close up of the pipes.  Fantastic!!! 

I can tell you right now this was not a day for healthy eating.  It was a warm day and I was hot so I got myself a raspberry and licorice ice cream cone (why have the same stuff I can get at home - I jump at the chance to try something I'd never had before).  It was delish even though I dropped half of it on the grass much to a magpie's delight. 



I then used the park loos which were nearby and I managed to lock myself in.  (I should write a post on loos I have locked myself in...)  After a bit of panic, I saw the button to unlock the door.  Whew! There were buttons for everything.  I may have locked myself into a few loos but I haven't had to be rescued...yet! 



I headed over to Mannerheimintie (don't worry; I had to consult a map to figure out what street it was) and saw this adorable sculpture before making my way into a park beside Toolonlahti Lake.  





It was the sort of place to linger however there just weren't too many benches (what's with that Helsinki?) and people were firmly planted on those.  It was so pretty and peaceful.  

Further along, I came across a strangely decorated building...not sure what is.  



My Airbnb host Ani told me I must visit Oodi, Helsinki's new Central Library. It was opened in December of 2018, six months before my visit.  




The design both outside and inside was spectacular.  



There were several floors that included conference rooms.  



It had a cafe with an outside terrace.  As ou can see it was popular.  And I didn't need another coffee anyway! 




There were lots of places to sit down so it was a nice break.  I love visiting libraries in every place I visit.  It's fun to look at the books and there's usually a (clean) loo! 

I then walked into the centre of town where I got the number 7 tram.  Why?  I was doing a trial run to make sure I knew where the ferry was. I had a transport pass and the time so figured why not.  I saw this  close to the terminal so had to go back to have a closer look!!!  So it was definitely worth the extra trip! 



I thought it was hilarious!  

I then headed back to town where I went into the huge Stockmann's department store and headed for the small bistro. Okay I made that sound easy - actually I walked around trying to figure out where and what to eat and then remembered I wanted to visit this store.  I had decided previously I wanted something typically Finnish so I opted for a Fisherman's platter.  



Smoked salmon, pickled herring, potatoes and I can't remember what the others were.  All I know was it was expensive and did not fill me up!  I was expecting a bit more. 



So I went to a Carl Fazer cafe (famed for its chocolate) and I had this chocolate/raspberry cake.  It looks wonderful I know but sadly was on the dry side. 

I headed back on the metro and stopped off at the grocery store to get more (much needed) liquor for my balcony time.  

Consulting my Fitbit I saw that I had done over 26,000 steps that day.  And that was day two! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Peeing on fish or a fish out of water

Well this morning we headed off by boat to Siem Reap.  Due to the low water on the Tonie Sap Lake (more like a river until near the end of the trip when it widened considerably) the trip would be an 8 hour one... It was supposed to be boring but ended up as anything but...in no certain order...let's see.... We had a rest stop (turned out to be the only one) along the way and the loo was just a hole over the lake and there were fish circling around underneath.  Yes it was just a hole in the floor...you definitely had someone watch your stuff while you went in or one false move and your camera/purse or whatever would be in the lake.  The fish either like the warm pee coming in or they are pervs and like to see ladies parts.  We were just a few minutes out when all of a sudden there was something flying over me and jumping all over the floor - a little fish!  Guess he wanted to join the tour.  Roger reached down and scooped him up while I hooted and hollered.  Okay it wasn&#

A walk along the coffin trail (and a couple of lakes) in the Lake District

While in the Lake District I wanted to do some light walking but not heavy duty hiking where I could easily get lost and my body not found for days partially eaten by hungry...sheep?  Anyway, you get the drift...not too grueling and safe for a solo walker.  I get a bit nervous when I am too far from civilization. There are lots of books about walking in the Lake District but they seem to be all about walking the fells in remote places...neither Thelma nor I fancied that.  While browsing in the post office/shop in Ambleside one day (if you are ever in Ambleside you must go there - a treasure!) I found a stand of walk descriptions on post cards.  And there I found my walk.  After all who could resist a stroll on the "coffin trail" in William Wordsworth country... I took a look and thought hmm...cafe along the route...that works for me. (with at least the security of knowing there was an available "loo" along the way.)  Okay, I may not have totally followed the

The highlights of my Fall 2023 trip

I'm back home after a great six weeks away. This was a "short" trip for me.  So here we go with an overview of my trip.   London London for me is always a good idea.  I fell in love with it back in the mid 70's and it's been calling me back ever since. Some of the best things in my life have happened in London.  When I learned my two Oz friends Loraine and Linda were going to be in London in the fall I knew I had to be there.  And what fun we had!!  Of course, I did loads of other things as well.  I spent two weeks there from mid September until very early October and then back again for four nights at the end of October before flying home.   After over five years (delayed for two and a half years thanks to Covid) of walking, I finally finished the 126 km Capital Ring.  The picture above is taken at the end of my walk and where I started in May of 2018 at the main door of Streatham Common station just steps from my B and B.  What a walk!  I got to see so much more