Skip to main content

Visiting the birth of Buddhism and the Holy City of Varanasi in India

This is the last post on my trip to India in the winter of 2007. 

Wednesday, January 31st -    It was absolute chaos at the Varanasi train station upon our arrival after our overnight trip from Agra but we managed to get through the throngs of people to our bus which dropped us at our hotel, the Vaibhav. We had brunch (coffee, omelet and toast)  then headed out to Sarnath (13 km out of town) which is where Buddha gave his first sermon.   We visited Mulgandha Kuti which is on the site where Buddha meditated. 

Above is the Dhamekh Stupa which is a Buddhist shrine dating from 500 CE.  As you can imagine this place is very special for Buddhists.   After my visit to India I got interested in meditation which I studied for a few years as well as Buddhism.  Somehow I slipped away from it but I still think a return visit here would be a good idea as it would mean so much more to me.  It is definitely a must-see if you are in Varanasi. 

There was a museum on-site with artifacts that were very interesting.   Some Chinese monks (I had asked one where they were from) went through security and had to give up their cell phones and digital cameras. They were all giggling like naughty schoolchildren.  One lone monk had to sit outside guarding their ‘stash’.  It was hilarious as you don’t think of monks as being that technologically advanced and their cheerful giggles made me laugh too.  (remember this was back in 2007 - I don't  remember if I even had a flip phone then!) 
One of our party getting lots of attention on the grounds of Sarnath!!  (the advantage of being a blonde I guess!) 
I was distracted by the many street dogs that live here.  This girl captured my heart...one of the prettiest dogs I've seen. (besides my own of course).  Her eyes were gorgeous!  

Then it was back to the hotel for dinner and an early night after the previous night of broken sleep. 

Thursday, February 1st -   We were up early and out by 6 a.m. to have our early morning boat ride on the Ganges.  Amazing!!!  People come to the Ganges (known as the Ganga in India) to purify themselves as it is a holy river.  We Westerners can go on about how dirty the river is and how can they stand it but it was very humbling to see them bathing themselves and see the joy they felt at being there.  From a distance we saw a cremation as well -  it is said you will go right to Nirvana if you die in Varanasi and your ashes go into the Ganges. Dare I add that on the down to earth side we saw dogs hanging around the area due to the smell of roasting meat. At first we thought they were family dogs and then we realized they were hungry street dogs....(ok sorry if you were grossed out at that...just consider it all part of the Indian experience!) 

It was such a humbling experience to be here.  The sunrise was beautiful and we were given flowers to put in the Ganges to remember departed loved ones.  Very special. Again on the practical gross side I didn't want to look too closely at the water as I'd read of people seeing dead bodies floating.  (more on why that happens later)
As you can see the Ghats (steps) of Varanasi are very colourful and very busy!!! 

On the left side of the picture you can see smoke - that is a cremation.  Of course out of respect for the dead and their family you don't take close up photos.  This trip got me over my fear and revulsion of death which is a common trait of westerners.  Let's face it, at the end of the day we are all just a pile of meat.  Where we go or IF we go somewhere is all up to our own interpretation - whatever brings you peace and comfort.   My motto is to live your life as you want while you're here because who knows what really happens after.  

We got off the boat and walked to the Gold Temple - it is in the area with a very well protected mosque - there have been bombs in the past so we had to go through security.  Once again a clash between Muslims & Hindus. Oh religion.... We could not go into the temple as you have to be Hindu to go into that particular one. I have no photos of the outside and I honestly can't remember why but it must have been due to the increased security.  We walked through very narrow lanes filled with people, cows & motorbikes back to our minibus.  

Watch out for cows and dead bodies (draped in beautiful silk) being carried to the ghats to be cremated!  We ran into a few of both!  

After breakfast back at the hotel four of us took rickshaws back to the Ghats and walked along observing local life.  It was especially interesting seeing the Sadhus - Hindu holy men who travel from one religious site to another.  They coat their faces with ash, are naked (though maybe that depends on the weather!) and rely on the kindness of strangers for food.  We saw the beginnings of a cremation - firewood is very expensive in India so you have to be quite wealthy to be cremated.  Sometimes there is not enough firewood to burn the entire body before it is released into the water.  Children are considered pure so are released into the Ganga without being cremated.  
Here is a Sadhu.  
A herd of cows is heading towards the water...
Laundry being done! 
Photo bomb!!  
Doing the laundry. 
This little girl was selling the same kind of flowers we had released in the Ganges that morning.  We each gave her money but told her to keep the flowers.  She happily posed for a photo for us.  What a little sweetheart she was. It is heartbreaking to think she was out doing this when she should have been in school learning.  Thirteen years later, I wonder what she is doing...

Back via rickshaw to the hotel where I had a quiet evening in resting. The others were going to a festival on the Ganges where they had a great time.  My tummy was burning and I decided that going on a small boat (ahem...no facilities) and negotiating a big crowd probably wasn't such a good idea.  That's the only time in India I felt "not quite right" and that was minor.  

Friday February 2 -  After breakfast, we took off in tuk-tuks to do some shopping.  We wandered around but it was so chaotic that we just gave up - we never did find any tourist type shops.  We did see the local market which was interesting but not what we wanted at this point.  I think we were all feeling a bit overwhelmed by Varanasi at this point - everything is so busy and noisy that it is very exhausting to even walk along the street.
This was a much quieter side street - complete with token cow! 

Eyes in the back of your head would definitely be a bonus in India - especially for motorbikes that seem to be everywhere and go everywhere! (which is a common thing in Asia)  We took a tuk-tuk out to the local university which was lovely - all green and quiet - we couldn’t get over the fact that we were in the same city!! 

We had dinner at the hotel then took a bus to the train station for our return to Delhi.  Poor Ann Marie was very sick - she had eaten something dodgy the night before. It wasn't meat as she was vegetarian but we're thinking the paneer (cheese) that she was very fond of.  Luckily it was the end of our trip so she didn’t miss much. While the trip was horrid for Ann Marie I slept much better on this journey.  

Saturday February 3 - While the train trip was better than the last one it was still a relief to reach Delhi.  After breakfast the five of us got into a tuk-tuk to go to Connaught Place - the main "posh" shopping area.  The driver gave us a great deal - we soon found out why.  We got out at what we thought was Connaught Place only to find he had taken us to a tourist shop where he got a kickback.   So we got into another tuk-tuk and when Michael went to sit in the front seat with the driver - something he’d been doing all along - the driver said he would charge us another 20 Rupees.  Definitely back in the big city!!!  Michael told the driver “You’re in dreamland mate” and crammed into the back seat with us.  Ha, I still laugh about that! 
Scotiabank (the bank I've been with for over 40 years) in Delhi - who knew? 
I honestly can't remember what this was about. 
You can carry anything on a bike or tuk-tuk if you want to!!!  
Muslims going to pray at the nearest mosque. 

Finally, we got to Connaught Place - Judy and Shanna hit the shops and after a foray into a bookshop where we both bought Indian cookbooks (I haven't even used mine; don't even know if I still have it!) Michael and I went to a yuppie coffee shop where we observed how the rich young people in Delhi live.  It was quite an interesting contrast after the poverty we had witnessed over the past two weeks.  We then boarded the metro (very clean) and both burst out laughing when we were informed by a taped recording to “mind the gap”. We got lost getting out of the metro station but asking people (who were very helpful) did the trick and we were soon back at the Hotel Florence. I was able to go into a regular carriage as I was with a man; if I was on my own I would have gone into a "female only" carriage so as not to get groped. (in my dreams - JOKING..)  Ann Marie was feeling better so she was able to join the group for our last meal together.  This was my final Indian meal - boohoo.  I had a potato and cheese dish and a vegetable curry. (as I mentioned earlier I wasn't vegetarian but avoided meat for the most part just to be on the safe side) I absolutely loved the Indian food and I still rate it the best food I've had on any trip.  The Oz mother and daughter team grumbled throughout their meal and left early  - yay - so the rest of us were able to sit, relax and visit for a bit.  Then it was back to the hotel and time to say goodbye.  That is always the sad bit.  We planned to have one last breakfast together the next morning though but I am so glad we said our goodbyes then...  

Sunday February 4 -  I was up early and after breakfast I headed down to the lobby and the car to take me to the airport was there early.  I didn’t get a chance to say goodbye to the others which upset me - the five of us got along so well and it was sad to realize I would probably never see them again. Mr. Hotty had suggested we leave for the airport early but I got there way too soon and my Virgin Atlantic flight hadn’t even opened up yet. The airport was under renovation and I had to sit in a very boring area divided from the check-in desks by plywood walls! Finally after a boring hour or so I was able to check in and go to the departures area.  I spent the rest of my rupees on tea and ceramic elephant coasters. (is that a surprise?)  Then it was time to say goodbye to India and board my Virgin Atlantic flight back to London.  London seemed soooo quiet after India!  I laugh just thinking about it as central London is NOT quiet but compared to the honking cars in India it sure is. 

Any regrets?  Yes, that I didn't spend more time in Delhi.  I didn't see Old Delhi which I have heard is worth visiting.  I flew in and out - don't ask me why as I was on a five week trip with plenty of time.  

I really think Varanasi should be on everybody's itinerary of India.  It can be disturbing and overwhelming but so very interesting and beautiful. I would love to go back and spend a few days there.  

I have never felt so alive as I did in India. What can I say about India; amazing, enchanting, disturbing, eye-opening, humbling and life-changing. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Peeing on fish or a fish out of water

Well this morning we headed off by boat to Siem Reap.  Due to the low water on the Tonie Sap Lake (more like a river until near the end of the trip when it widened considerably) the trip would be an 8 hour one... It was supposed to be boring but ended up as anything but...in no certain order...let's see.... We had a rest stop (turned out to be the only one) along the way and the loo was just a hole over the lake and there were fish circling around underneath.  Yes it was just a hole in the floor...you definitely had someone watch your stuff while you went in or one false move and your camera/purse or whatever would be in the lake.  The fish either like the warm pee coming in or they are pervs and like to see ladies parts.  We were just a few minutes out when all of a sudden there was something flying over me and jumping all over the floor - a little fish!  Guess he wanted to join the tour.  Roger reached down and scooped him up while I hooted and hollered.  Okay it wasn&#

A walk along the coffin trail (and a couple of lakes) in the Lake District

While in the Lake District I wanted to do some light walking but not heavy duty hiking where I could easily get lost and my body not found for days partially eaten by hungry...sheep?  Anyway, you get the drift...not too grueling and safe for a solo walker.  I get a bit nervous when I am too far from civilization. There are lots of books about walking in the Lake District but they seem to be all about walking the fells in remote places...neither Thelma nor I fancied that.  While browsing in the post office/shop in Ambleside one day (if you are ever in Ambleside you must go there - a treasure!) I found a stand of walk descriptions on post cards.  And there I found my walk.  After all who could resist a stroll on the "coffin trail" in William Wordsworth country... I took a look and thought hmm...cafe along the route...that works for me. (with at least the security of knowing there was an available "loo" along the way.)  Okay, I may not have totally followed the

The highlights of my Fall 2023 trip

I'm back home after a great six weeks away. This was a "short" trip for me.  So here we go with an overview of my trip.   London London for me is always a good idea.  I fell in love with it back in the mid 70's and it's been calling me back ever since. Some of the best things in my life have happened in London.  When I learned my two Oz friends Loraine and Linda were going to be in London in the fall I knew I had to be there.  And what fun we had!!  Of course, I did loads of other things as well.  I spent two weeks there from mid September until very early October and then back again for four nights at the end of October before flying home.   After over five years (delayed for two and a half years thanks to Covid) of walking, I finally finished the 126 km Capital Ring.  The picture above is taken at the end of my walk and where I started in May of 2018 at the main door of Streatham Common station just steps from my B and B.  What a walk!  I got to see so much more