Skip to main content

Tis the Season....in Reykjavik, Iceland

Six years ago in mid-December I was navigating my way around Iceland's quirky capital.  Reykjavik was my first stop on a six-month trip (or relocation as I like to call it) that still stands as the best trip I have ever taken. This was my second trip to Iceland but not the last - I stopped there in June on my way back to Canada.

I was booked in at the Snorri Inn for three nights.  Yeah, that was the name. I'm sure I did them proud during my four nights there.  

I seem to have the unique talent of visiting a place during their snowfall of the season and Reykjavik did not let me down.  While the sidewalks near my guest house were icy and treacherous the sidewalks in the city centre were clear due to pipes carrying boiling geothermal water underneath the streets and sidewalks.  This volcanic island certainly makes use of its natural resources!!  

So let's go for a walk and see all the Christmasy/wintery sights in one of my favourite cities. 

This is the view from the front of the Hallgrimskirkja looking down towards the harbour with a back view of Leif Erikson the Icelandic Viking who was the first European to set foot in North America.  

And here is the front view of the Hallgrimskirkja (and Mr. Erikson) which was completed in 1986 and is the largest church in Iceland. 



This is Tjornin (the pond) which is lovely any time of year.  

"Monument to the Faceless Bureaucrat" - this statue makes you stop in your tracks.  It is close to City Hall so perhaps a satirical salute to the bureaucrats that serve Iceland. 







After walking around for a while in the cold a nice warm bowl of lamb soup is very welcome! 


This was taken on my first day when I hadn't had any sleep and was jetlagged - and slightly misplaced trying to find my way back to my guest house.  I heard giggling and looked up and there they were!!!  


By now if you are on Facebook you've seen the meme that tells of Iceland's obsession with books.  It's all true!  



Sunset...while I was there the sunrise was around 11 a.m. and the sunset somewhere between 3:30 and 4 p.m. On the bright side, if you are old you don't have to stay up late to see the Christmas lights. 


This is the Reykjavik Church of Iceland (Lutheran) Cathedral.  The original construction was completed in 1796 but it had major reconstruction in the late 19th century.  The majority of Icelanders are Lutheran although religion is not popular here.  



Time for an Icelandic hotdog!  Disclaimer:  In case you think all I did was eat here in my defense these food pictures were taken over the course of three days.  Icelandic hotdogs are made from beef, pork and lamb and they are delicious!  I froze my fingers off eating this but it was totally worth it!The pale yellow topping is called remoulade and is made with mayonnaise, capers, mustard and herbs. 


Next up is a walk to the harbour which is an area close to my heart.  On my first trip to Iceland the year before I had stayed close to the harbour at an Airbnb.  Sadly I could not get into the same place but of course, I had to walk past and see if I could see Rosa, the Icelandic sheepdog looking out the window.  Sadly she wasn't there...in case you are curious here she is. (token dog photo...) While her master was out she spent her time in the window looking out or if she was feeling like being naughty she would sit on the dining table.  Bad Rosa! 






These are actually whaling ships but let's not go there.  


Let's have some lobster soup instead!  My host at the Airbnb I had mentioned previously had told me about the lobster soup at the Seabaron restaurant by the harbour.  It is a shack really but the food is so good - I've had the lobster soup on all of my three visits there.  

I meandered along the path by the sea until I came to one of my favourite sculptures in the city. 


This is called the Sun Voyageur which is an ode to the sun. I love it!  


I walked further along the path to view Harpa which is Reykjavik's performance hall.  Don't worry, we will see more of it later! 










I must say I expected more from the Christmas market but I obviously visited too early in the day as quite a few stalls were closed.  No problem...I wasn't in a "buying mood " anyway as I had six months of adventures (and luggage) ahead of me. 

I always like visiting National Museums and when I heard that there was going to be a special Christmas festival there the day before I was due to fly on to London I knew I had to go.  And what fun it was!  Okay it was a family thing but I wanted to know more about Icelandic Christmas traditions.  


This is Gryla, the ogre mother of the thirteen Yule lads.  She boils children and eats them! I had to laugh when she came on stage.  The children were happily singing Christmas songs and when she arrived they all started screaming! She and her husband have thirteen mischievous boys.  Starting December 12th children leave a shoe in their bedroom window and the Yule boy of that night (they each have a specific night they visit the children) leaves them either a small gift if they have been good or a rotting potato if they have been naughty.  Or they might even eat you if you've been really bad. The Yule lads are known to misbehave by stealing unwashed pots and licking them clean, slamming doors everywhere, stealing sausages, peeping in windows and stealing food from frying pans. (each one has their naughty thing)  What a bunch!  As if all that trauma isn't enough there is a huge cat that eats children who don't get at least one new piece of clothing for Christmas. Unlike the rest of us when we were kids I guess Icelandic kids are grateful for clothes for Christmas!  


This is one of the Yule lads. 

I then attended a talk by university students about the Icelandic Christmas traditions.  So interesting. 








Let's stop for an Icelandic doughnut.....I wish I could say it tasted better than it looked but er.....no.....


I then walked through town back to the guest house to change for a very special evening.  

Before I had left home I had booked myself a ticket to attend a special Christmas concert at the beautiful Harpa concert hall.  


The Harpa concert hall was completed in 2011 and is absolutely beautiful inside and out.  


The concert included the Icelandic Symphony orchestra, ballet dancers and a children's choir.  It was enchanting even if I couldn't understand the emcee who was some sort of well known clown (yes an actual clown) celebrity.  It ended with everyone singing "Silent Night" in Icelandic except for we tourists who sang it in our own language.  Goose bumps!  

I pretty much floated back to the town centre.  A beautiful concert and the knowledge that the next day I was winging my way to my special place, London to base myself for the next six months.  I wish I could have bottled that feeling I had right then as I need it about now!   

Being as I had an early morning flight to London the next morning (think waking up at 3:30 a.m.) I had opted for the earlier concert at 4 p.m.  For my last night I decided to splurge on a meal at a Danish Smorrbred restaurant.  



Hmmm....it was good but luckily I had some Skyr (Icelandic yogurt) back in my room as I was still hungry.  

I hope you enjoyed this quick trip to Reykjavik at Christmas!!! 


































Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Peeing on fish or a fish out of water

Well this morning we headed off by boat to Siem Reap.  Due to the low water on the Tonie Sap Lake (more like a river until near the end of the trip when it widened considerably) the trip would be an 8 hour one... It was supposed to be boring but ended up as anything but...in no certain order...let's see.... We had a rest stop (turned out to be the only one) along the way and the loo was just a hole over the lake and there were fish circling around underneath.  Yes it was just a hole in the floor...you definitely had someone watch your stuff while you went in or one false move and your camera/purse or whatever would be in the lake.  The fish either like the warm pee coming in or they are pervs and like to see ladies parts.  We were just a few minutes out when all of a sudden there was something flying over me and jumping all over the floor - a little fish!  Guess he wanted to join the tour.  Roger reached down and scooped him up while I hooted and hollered.  Okay it wasn&#

A walk along the coffin trail (and a couple of lakes) in the Lake District

While in the Lake District I wanted to do some light walking but not heavy duty hiking where I could easily get lost and my body not found for days partially eaten by hungry...sheep?  Anyway, you get the drift...not too grueling and safe for a solo walker.  I get a bit nervous when I am too far from civilization. There are lots of books about walking in the Lake District but they seem to be all about walking the fells in remote places...neither Thelma nor I fancied that.  While browsing in the post office/shop in Ambleside one day (if you are ever in Ambleside you must go there - a treasure!) I found a stand of walk descriptions on post cards.  And there I found my walk.  After all who could resist a stroll on the "coffin trail" in William Wordsworth country... I took a look and thought hmm...cafe along the route...that works for me. (with at least the security of knowing there was an available "loo" along the way.)  Okay, I may not have totally followed the

The highlights of my Fall 2023 trip

I'm back home after a great six weeks away. This was a "short" trip for me.  So here we go with an overview of my trip.   London London for me is always a good idea.  I fell in love with it back in the mid 70's and it's been calling me back ever since. Some of the best things in my life have happened in London.  When I learned my two Oz friends Loraine and Linda were going to be in London in the fall I knew I had to be there.  And what fun we had!!  Of course, I did loads of other things as well.  I spent two weeks there from mid September until very early October and then back again for four nights at the end of October before flying home.   After over five years (delayed for two and a half years thanks to Covid) of walking, I finally finished the 126 km Capital Ring.  The picture above is taken at the end of my walk and where I started in May of 2018 at the main door of Streatham Common station just steps from my B and B.  What a walk!  I got to see so much more