Skip to main content

A quick winter getaway to Saskatoon, Saskatchewan

On a cold Saturday morning in early January of this year I awoke, sat up in bed and uttered "f*ck this sh*t".  I got out of bed and stumbled into the living room to my computer.  I immediately booked myself a hotel room for one night in Saskatoon as well as return bus fare on Rider Express  - for the next day!  

Covid was starting to really pick up steam here on the second or third wave (I've lost track) but there was no ban on traveling around the province YET. After ten months of being stuck at home, I had to do something. Aside from a few days of dogsitting I had slept in my own bed for ten months...my poor bed was probably wondering what the hell was going on too.  Christmas was pretty grim as we were not allowed any company in our homes province-wide.  And unlike some people, I obeyed the rules.  However, I have to say I have never done the paranoid bit such as staying in my house for days on end or refusing to visit stores.  I wore a mask, stayed my distance, washed my hands and off I went.  I have tried to live my life as normally as possible under the circumstances except for the traveling out of the province bit of course. I have always disagreed with doing that up until this summer.  Even though we are totally open here in Saskatchewan and I am fully vaccinated I still wear a mask on public transit and in crowded spaces such as stores or the farmers market. 

When I boarded the bus on Sunday morning I had the biggest smile on my face - not that you could see it as of course we all wore masks.  I had a seat to myself with no one near me and felt really safe.  Upon arrival in Saskatoon two hours and forty-five minutes later I walked to my hotel, the Park Inn. 


I happily trod through the snow and had to snap a photo of this traffic control box with adorable surfing pelicans on the river.  (the pelicans are a common summer sight on the river)  When I reached the hotel, check-in was quick and safely done.  The hotel was pretty much deserted. 


Honestly, I had tears in my eyes when I walked into my room.  I've never been so excited to see a hotel room!  


I flung my backpack down on a chair and off I went....


Of course, I had to snap a picture of the hotel Christmas tree as well.  

My hotel was right across from the South Saskatchewan River and the adjoining river path.   It was a crisp beautiful winter's day and I made the most of it.  My walking club has a walk in Saskatoon so the plan was to do most of the 10km walk that day and the rest the next day.  



Saskatoon is known as the "city of bridges" and this is the University bridge which leads to...the university! (what a surprise I know) 



This is the Prairie Lily riverboat which was resting for the winter...we might just see this again in better weather. 




This is looking back towards the Prairie Lily - crunch, crunch my boots went on the path.  Amazing how things that are a drudge at home all of a sudden are fun when you are somewhere different.  Well for me anyway! 


This is a railway bridge that is fun to cross; especially exciting when a train goes past as you are right beside it!  However, I opted not to cross it as there was no room for physical distancing.  The bridge had just reopened for pedestrians as when I checked online it indicated was still closed.  


While our paths in Wascana Park were one way at that time, the river path was two way which freaked me out at first and I was jumping out of people's way like a nervous Nellie at first.  

And then a train appeared which is always exciting when you are on the bridge or down below. 



I probably should have climbed the stairs for the workout but I was trying to avoid people - that's the official excuse anyway. 


The building on the right is the gorgeous Bessborough Hotel - you will see more of it. 


This is St John's Anglican Cathedral which began construction in 1912 and was completed in 1917 which is young by European standards and old by ours.  

I headed over to River landing and made a detour over towards the Farmers Market - sadly it was closed and since I've been there has relocated outside the downtown area. 




I love this sculpture outside the former farmers' market building. 

I then made my way over to the downtown mall where I had instructions (from two of the four people who knew I was doing this trip) to get popcorn from Kernels which sadly is a company we no longer have here in Regina.  

Me and my popcorn then headed out for a meal at the Bon Temps New Orleans Cafe downtown.   My table was surrounded by plexiglass, the server was wearing a mask and I accessed the menu by scanning my phone camera on a QR code.  Cool!!  

I had to go for the beef po'boy and a side of gumbo.  Delish!  And yes, I had a cocktail as well.  I closed my eyes and remembered happy times in New Orleans - I've been there three times.  It is definitely my favourite American city! 


Tummy full, I wandered back to my hotel with a big smile on my face.  


After a great sleep, I treated myself to a big breakfast at the hotel restaurant - I was the only one in the place as most people had opted to take their breakfast back to their room.  I had a lovely view of the river from my table.  


This was my first proper breakfast out since Calgary in March of 2020 - ten months!!!  And it tasted soooo good!!!  

I was pretty tired from my long walk the day before so decided to just relax until it was almost time for check out.  And I wanted to enjoy that hotel room!!!  Lounging on a bed that wasn't mine - how very decadent!!! 

Around 11 a.m. after storing my bags with the front desk I was off for another walk.  It was a bit colder this morning but that didn't stop me.  

I was in pure heaven wandering a city on my own with my camera - there is nothing I like better.  Solo travel is my default mode and always will be.  


The walk took me over the University Bridge and along the opposite riverside path with some great views of the beautiful Bessborough Hotel. 




While walking along Broadway (the "trendy" street in Saskatoon) I looked in the shops and did a tiny bit of retail therapy.  I very nearly got a coveted Eagle Creek carry-on suitcase on sale but in the end I didn't....something I still regret.  Sadly the coffee/tea emporium I love to visit was by appointment only.  Oh well, it's not like I will run out of tea anytime soon. 2023 perhaps?  I made my usual stop at The Bulk Cheese Warehouse to get goodies including some of their wonderful pasta sauces and one or two of their cheesy sausage rolls.  I never go to Saskatoon without freezer packs and a cooler bag for this very reason.  Luckily my room had a tiny fridge/freezer that I could store the freezer packs in. 


The view from the Broadway Bridge was lovely as always.  I stopped at a coffee shop to warm up and enjoy a coffee and pastry.  And to put in time.  It was still a few hours before my bus was to leave for Regina. 

Finally, I walked back to the hotel to pick up my day pack and bag full of popcorn.  My last stop?  The Golden Pagoda which serves Burmese food and according to their website is the only Burmese restaurant in Canada.  Not sure on that but all I know is I love this place and it's a regular stop when I am in Saskatoon!  I ordered the fried Burmese noodles with prawns and veggies and oh boy.  I got a heaping plateful that I knew I could never finish.  When he said you can take leftovers I explained I was taking a bus and it would be awkward, he gave me a sturdy plastic container that I still use to this day!  I sat in my own little space surrounded by wooden barriers.  


The trip back was great thanks to Rider Express.  I am so grateful we have this service now as our intra-provincial bus service was slashed thanks to our conservative government a few years ago.  People without a car in this province are second-class citizens.  Most people without vehicles cannot afford them or that is the perception anyway.  I can afford one but choose not to have one anymore. (just for the record I have driven since I was sixteen and had a car for thirty-six years)  Under normal circumstances, I am gone half the year plus I feel not having a car helps to balance out the fact that (normally) I fly so much.  Okay, I'll get off my soapbox now.  

It was a great little getaway and cheered me up no end.  I had a safe adventure and didn't get sick.  Win, win!!!  
 



 
















Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Peeing on fish or a fish out of water

Well this morning we headed off by boat to Siem Reap.  Due to the low water on the Tonie Sap Lake (more like a river until near the end of the trip when it widened considerably) the trip would be an 8 hour one... It was supposed to be boring but ended up as anything but...in no certain order...let's see.... We had a rest stop (turned out to be the only one) along the way and the loo was just a hole over the lake and there were fish circling around underneath.  Yes it was just a hole in the floor...you definitely had someone watch your stuff while you went in or one false move and your camera/purse or whatever would be in the lake.  The fish either like the warm pee coming in or they are pervs and like to see ladies parts.  We were just a few minutes out when all of a sudden there was something flying over me and jumping all over the floor - a little fish!  Guess he wanted to join the tour.  Roger reached down and scooped him up while I hooted and hollered.  Okay it wasn&#

A walk along the coffin trail (and a couple of lakes) in the Lake District

While in the Lake District I wanted to do some light walking but not heavy duty hiking where I could easily get lost and my body not found for days partially eaten by hungry...sheep?  Anyway, you get the drift...not too grueling and safe for a solo walker.  I get a bit nervous when I am too far from civilization. There are lots of books about walking in the Lake District but they seem to be all about walking the fells in remote places...neither Thelma nor I fancied that.  While browsing in the post office/shop in Ambleside one day (if you are ever in Ambleside you must go there - a treasure!) I found a stand of walk descriptions on post cards.  And there I found my walk.  After all who could resist a stroll on the "coffin trail" in William Wordsworth country... I took a look and thought hmm...cafe along the route...that works for me. (with at least the security of knowing there was an available "loo" along the way.)  Okay, I may not have totally followed the

The highlights of my Fall 2023 trip

I'm back home after a great six weeks away. This was a "short" trip for me.  So here we go with an overview of my trip.   London London for me is always a good idea.  I fell in love with it back in the mid 70's and it's been calling me back ever since. Some of the best things in my life have happened in London.  When I learned my two Oz friends Loraine and Linda were going to be in London in the fall I knew I had to be there.  And what fun we had!!  Of course, I did loads of other things as well.  I spent two weeks there from mid September until very early October and then back again for four nights at the end of October before flying home.   After over five years (delayed for two and a half years thanks to Covid) of walking, I finally finished the 126 km Capital Ring.  The picture above is taken at the end of my walk and where I started in May of 2018 at the main door of Streatham Common station just steps from my B and B.  What a walk!  I got to see so much more