Skip to main content

Jarlshof, Shetland ponies and Gannets

When I woke up on that Sunday morning in Shetland I wasn't sure what I was going to do.  I had gotten a notification the evening before that the 9 a.m. trip on the Noss boat I had booked months before was canceled due to high winds.  I assumed there was no bus service on Sundays as I couldn't find it on my schedule so I had resigned myself to just walking around town and perhaps having a rest day.  

However, at breakfast, I overheard guests at the next table talking about going to Jarlshof which is a prehistoric settlement that was on my list.  I assumed I would have to go later in the week but they assured me there were buses.  Once I was back in my room I got online and booked a slot for later that morning.  While I was online I noticed an email had come in from the Noss boat company asking me if I wanted to go out on their 4 pm. sailing that day as they had one space left.  Of course, I immediately replied that yes I would. So my day was sorted.  

Off I went on the #6 bus - there was a stop just across from where I was staying which was very handy. 

Along the path leading from the road to Jarslhof there was a pasture and in it were some Shetland ponies.  This was my first sighting of them on the island and to say I was excited was an understatement.  Luckily there were others on the bus with me and we took pictures of each other with the ponies.  I am not fond of horses but I love Shetland ponies and donkeys. I guess because they're a more manageable size.  


One itchy bum

We all went nuts over the ponies..

The building in the background is a hotel 

Another itchy bum



Neolithic people settled into this site around 2700 BC and the area was in use until the 17th century.  It contains the remains of Brochs from the iron age, Viking long houses, Medieval farmhouses and a Laird's house from the 1500's.  Pretty impressive.  









The remains of Viking long houses 

This is a partial view of the site from the Laird's house.  


This is the laird's house with the viewing platform shown.  I don't think you could have a better setting to have your home - a nearby hill for lookout, the sea and it's just so darn pretty! 

Looking towards Sumburgh lighthouse which is a popular destination but sadly I never made it there.  With the boat trip at 4 o'clock  I knew I couldn't make it up the hill and down again and get the bus back into town (once an hour) unless I rushed and it would all be very stressful.  In the end I never had the time or opportunity to see it.  Oh well, you can't see it all and I've seen loads of lighthouses and great views so I'm fine with it. 

Of course, I had to say goodbye to the ponies who were doing their own thing and not up at the fence as they were when my bus arrived.  I was very lucky. 

Then it was back on the bus to Lerwick where I boarded my boat to cruise around the island of Noss and look for birds.  Sadly due to the avian flu it was forbidden to set foot on the islands of Noss or Mousa.  

This was our boat. 

Looking back at Lerwick from the water 



We went around the island of Bressay which I will be doing a post on next.  

Even the captain of our boat was curious about why the coast guard helicopter was out but he figured it was a training practice.  


Then we circled Noss to see the gannets. Gannets are the largest sea bird in the North Atlantic. I was able to see them at St Mary's in Newfoundland a few years back.  Sadly many fell victim to the avian flu and we saw a dead gannet by the road when I was on Bressay the next day.  


The baby is almost the same size as the mum!  There were lots of nesting gannets. Gannets live most of their lives at sea and just come ashore to breed and raise their chicks.  It is an amazing sight to see them diving for fish. 




We also saw shags.  Shags are a species of cormorant. 




The captain gave a kid on board some fish to throw and chaos resulted!!  I don't blame them - if someone was throwing chocolate around I'd be a little excited too. 





On the way back to Lerwick we sailed into a quiet cove and were given shortbread biscuits and tea.  So British and civilized!! 

I decided to celebrate this magical day by getting my first fish and chips of the trip.  I headed over to Fort Fish and Chips as they were supposed to be one of the best in Lerwick. Can you believe they were out of fish?? So I made do with just chips and shared what I couldn't finish with a very patient seagull.  

What a fabulous day! 









Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Peeing on fish or a fish out of water

Well this morning we headed off by boat to Siem Reap.  Due to the low water on the Tonie Sap Lake (more like a river until near the end of the trip when it widened considerably) the trip would be an 8 hour one... It was supposed to be boring but ended up as anything but...in no certain order...let's see.... We had a rest stop (turned out to be the only one) along the way and the loo was just a hole over the lake and there were fish circling around underneath.  Yes it was just a hole in the floor...you definitely had someone watch your stuff while you went in or one false move and your camera/purse or whatever would be in the lake.  The fish either like the warm pee coming in or they are pervs and like to see ladies parts.  We were just a few minutes out when all of a sudden there was something flying over me and jumping all over the floor - a little fish!  Guess he wanted to join the tour.  Roger reached down and scooped him up while I hooted and hollered.  Okay it wasn&#

A walk along the coffin trail (and a couple of lakes) in the Lake District

While in the Lake District I wanted to do some light walking but not heavy duty hiking where I could easily get lost and my body not found for days partially eaten by hungry...sheep?  Anyway, you get the drift...not too grueling and safe for a solo walker.  I get a bit nervous when I am too far from civilization. There are lots of books about walking in the Lake District but they seem to be all about walking the fells in remote places...neither Thelma nor I fancied that.  While browsing in the post office/shop in Ambleside one day (if you are ever in Ambleside you must go there - a treasure!) I found a stand of walk descriptions on post cards.  And there I found my walk.  After all who could resist a stroll on the "coffin trail" in William Wordsworth country... I took a look and thought hmm...cafe along the route...that works for me. (with at least the security of knowing there was an available "loo" along the way.)  Okay, I may not have totally followed the

The highlights of my Fall 2023 trip

I'm back home after a great six weeks away. This was a "short" trip for me.  So here we go with an overview of my trip.   London London for me is always a good idea.  I fell in love with it back in the mid 70's and it's been calling me back ever since. Some of the best things in my life have happened in London.  When I learned my two Oz friends Loraine and Linda were going to be in London in the fall I knew I had to be there.  And what fun we had!!  Of course, I did loads of other things as well.  I spent two weeks there from mid September until very early October and then back again for four nights at the end of October before flying home.   After over five years (delayed for two and a half years thanks to Covid) of walking, I finally finished the 126 km Capital Ring.  The picture above is taken at the end of my walk and where I started in May of 2018 at the main door of Streatham Common station just steps from my B and B.  What a walk!  I got to see so much more