Skip to main content

A sheepy afternoon at Garth's croft on Bressay, Shetland

As on Orkney I wanted to visit another island on Shetland.  However, while public transport is quite good throughout the islands I knew there were places where it was non existant so I needed some professional advice on where to go.  I visited the very helpful and friendly local tourist information centre (which had a lovely shop as well).  I utilize tourist information centres wherever I visit.   Garth's Croft was mentioned as an option and my ears perked up when I was told there were sheep.  You know how I like my sheep!!  Back in my room later that day I emailed Chris Dyer who owns the croft and inquired about tours.  He got back to me immediately and quoted a price that was a bit high but I thought "Laurie, you will probably only be here once, quit being so cheap and don't forget, there are SHEEP".  So I agreed.  Later he got back to me and said a family was coming so my price was reduced substantially.  

I took the quick ferry trip of seven minutes over to Bressay on a Monday afternoon.

Of course, me being me I got there way too early and so I did a bit of wandering...I had wanted a cuppa and a piece of cake in Lerwick before I went over but as there were multiple cruise ships in I could not find a place that had room.  I thought that Bressay might have something to offer me.  Nope.  Both the Maryfield House Hotel and Speldiburn cafe (an old schoolhouse) were closed.  I made do with a granola bar from my backpack.  I really had wanted to go back to the cafe on another day but sadly it never happened as I was too busy. 





I believe I was told this was the start of Sunday Park runs or something like that. 



Need I add I was once again in heaven?  


Here we go again...another sheep staring contest!  I always win...well usually...



Really?  Okay here we go again...

Hmmm...maybe not...


I made my way back to the harbour and sat in the ferry waiting room catching up on my journal entries (I seemed to be always behind with journaling) but not before catching this wonderful view.  

Chris was meeting us in the ferry parking lot at a specified time and there he was.  After meeting up with the two families also on the tour  I hopped into his landrover with one family and the other followed our vehicle the ten minutes back to his croft. 

Once at the croft we went inside a shed where Garth did a short presentation on his croft while we sipped cups of tea.  We got to touch and feel the fleece from his heritage sheep which he ships all over the world.  Chris is a professional Archaeologist and Historian and has worked in the field for over twenty years. He bought the croft in 2014 and breeds Heritage and native Shetland sheep as well as breeding pigs.  Chris also practices sustainable agriculture.  He is also an amazing photographer and I just couldn't resist buying a package of notecards featuring some shots of his sheep.  I'm hoping he does a calender one day as I will be first in line to buy one!!! 

Next up we got to meet the sheep and watch him and his sheepdog herding.  



This is where I spam you with sheep pictures but oh my goodness, they were so beautiful!!! 









And here is Dinky the greediest girl of them all.  She is named Dinky because of her short legs.  She and the black and white sheep were the only ones that would come and take food from us - and oh boy, did she ever!!  What can I say, a girl after my own heart.  If you follow me on Facebook you know that I posted a picture of her with her lamb that Chris sent me a few weeks back.  





What the h*ll is this they seem to be thinking?  



Yes, I got to feed Dinky too. 

Then Chris showed us how he and his sheepdog (I forgot her name!) herd the sheep. 










Then we met the mama pig and her piglets.  I thought they were so pretty.




And mama turkey and her young ones. 

Then off on a tour of the area in the landrover.   

There is the Noss boat that I wrote about in my last post. 





Then it was back in the Landrover to catch the ferry back to Lerwick.  What a wonderful outing it was.  It was probably the highlight of my time in Shetland although there were so many I can't say for sure.  When I left Shetland I was satisfied with what I saw but now I don't know..it certainly works its way into your heart.  However, there are still so many places I want to see and I'm not getting any younger!  It's always a struggle to balance seeing new places on your bucket list and revisiting places that stole your heart.  I know..such a tough dilemma to have!!  

I'd definitely recommend a tour of Garth's Croft if you ever find yourself in Shetland (and you should).  

Once back in Lerwick I decided to try my luck at another well-known chippy and I was in luck!!  Clutching my bounty I huffed and puffed my way up one of the lanes where I found a lovely little park (quite by accident) and enjoyed my fish and chips there.  




With my heart and belly full I headed back to my Guest House.  I know I say it a lot but what a magical day!!!  



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Peeing on fish or a fish out of water

Well this morning we headed off by boat to Siem Reap.  Due to the low water on the Tonie Sap Lake (more like a river until near the end of the trip when it widened considerably) the trip would be an 8 hour one... It was supposed to be boring but ended up as anything but...in no certain order...let's see.... We had a rest stop (turned out to be the only one) along the way and the loo was just a hole over the lake and there were fish circling around underneath.  Yes it was just a hole in the floor...you definitely had someone watch your stuff while you went in or one false move and your camera/purse or whatever would be in the lake.  The fish either like the warm pee coming in or they are pervs and like to see ladies parts.  We were just a few minutes out when all of a sudden there was something flying over me and jumping all over the floor - a little fish!  Guess he wanted to join the tour.  Roger reached down and scooped him up while I hooted and hollered.  Okay it wasn&#

A walk along the coffin trail (and a couple of lakes) in the Lake District

While in the Lake District I wanted to do some light walking but not heavy duty hiking where I could easily get lost and my body not found for days partially eaten by hungry...sheep?  Anyway, you get the drift...not too grueling and safe for a solo walker.  I get a bit nervous when I am too far from civilization. There are lots of books about walking in the Lake District but they seem to be all about walking the fells in remote places...neither Thelma nor I fancied that.  While browsing in the post office/shop in Ambleside one day (if you are ever in Ambleside you must go there - a treasure!) I found a stand of walk descriptions on post cards.  And there I found my walk.  After all who could resist a stroll on the "coffin trail" in William Wordsworth country... I took a look and thought hmm...cafe along the route...that works for me. (with at least the security of knowing there was an available "loo" along the way.)  Okay, I may not have totally followed the

The highlights of my Fall 2023 trip

I'm back home after a great six weeks away. This was a "short" trip for me.  So here we go with an overview of my trip.   London London for me is always a good idea.  I fell in love with it back in the mid 70's and it's been calling me back ever since. Some of the best things in my life have happened in London.  When I learned my two Oz friends Loraine and Linda were going to be in London in the fall I knew I had to be there.  And what fun we had!!  Of course, I did loads of other things as well.  I spent two weeks there from mid September until very early October and then back again for four nights at the end of October before flying home.   After over five years (delayed for two and a half years thanks to Covid) of walking, I finally finished the 126 km Capital Ring.  The picture above is taken at the end of my walk and where I started in May of 2018 at the main door of Streatham Common station just steps from my B and B.  What a walk!  I got to see so much more