Skip to main content

A visit to Scalloway, Shetland

 I awoke to rain pattering on the windows on that Tuesday morning.  "Well that's a bummer" I thought but what are you going to do?  I only had eight days on Shetland and a lot on my "to-do" list.  I've never let a bit of rain stop me.  After a light breakfast at my Bed and Breakfast, I set off to the bus stop.  

At 10:10 a.m I boarded the #4 bus for the twenty-five-minute ride to Scalloway.  The name Scalloway iis derived from Old Norse meaning "bay with the large house".  This town of 1300 people is known for its fishing industry and until 1708 it was the capital of the Shetland Islands. (Lerwick now is the capital)  However, the main reason I wanted to visit was to see the Scalloway Museum and learn more about the Shetland bus.  More on that later...

Just after my arrival, the rain stopped although the sun never did make an appearance.  I walked along the main street taking pictures; I was captivated by the colourful houses.  They were especially appreciated on this dull dank day.  

This rather grim building is Scalloway Kirk (Church) which was built in 1840-41.  As far as I know it is still operational and belongs to the Church of Scotland which is Presbyterian.  It is known locally as the Muckle Kirk or Big Kirk.  They must mean in importance because it's certainly not in size!  





I came here later for a drink. As in a drink drink.  

I imagine these colourful houses would be stunning on a sunny day but I was grateful to have a bit of brightness on this dreary day. 




The castle was just across from the Scalloway Museum - as it was having some restoration done I couldn't visit it.  As you can see it isn't a typical castle but a tower house that was built in 1600 by Patrick Stewart, 2nd Earl of Orkney during his brief rule of Shetland.  


Ponies!!!  Shetland ponies!! These were right outside the museum so of course I had to go and say hello and make a fuss.  


Heidi and Iggie weren't as friendly as the ponies at Jarlshof though.  

Of course being a rainy day the museum was PACKED but I still enjoyed my visit.  The main purpose was to learn more about the Shetland Bus.  

Of course, the Shetland Bus wasn't an actual bus.  When Norway was invaded and occupied by the Nazis in 1940 the King and members of the Norwegian government went into exile in London.  Thousands of Norwegians fled in fishing boats and the first landfall was Shetland.  Resistance groups remained in Norway but they needed supplies, arms and leaders to continue.  A secret organization was set up by the government that would bring Norwegians to freedom in the United Kingdom via Shetland and take back supplies, ammunition and resistance fighters to Norway.  This was done with fishing boats manned by young Norwegian volunteers who would sail in the dead of night (mainly in the winter when there was more darkness) to escape being spotted by the Nazis.  Scalloway was the main base of operations and the brave Norwegians were warmly welcomed into the community and given shelter before they headed back.   Some of the friendships that developed lasted a lifetime.  It is really a wonderful story of courage and here is a link if you want to read more.  I hadn't heard of this operation until I started researching Shetland. Forty-four lives were lost during these crossings due to air attacks from the Nazis and bad weather. There is a memorial to these courageous souls on the seafront of Scalloway. 


This memorial is made from stones that come from the home towns of all the forty four lives that were lost during the Shetland Bus operaton.  Their names are listed on four plaques around the memorial and the boat on top is typical of the vessels that were used.  Very poignant.  

Leaving the museum a little subdued after learning about this heroic mission I was cheered to see the two ponies with the pretty view in the background.  I certainly was grateful that I'd been able to see Heidi and Iggie up close and personal before I went into the museum. 


I was feeling peckish so I headed off for lunch.  The Da Haaf restaurant I had chosen to visit was a fair walk from the museum but all along the seafront so I enjoyed the (misty) views.  




This sculpture by Fly Freeman is called Head to the Wind. 


Lunch called for some warm soup so as I'm still in Scotland (though it always feels just as Nordic to me)  of course I had to have Cullen Skink which is a hearty creamy soup consisting of haddock, onions and potatoes.  Delicious!!!  


Belly full and all warmed up I headed back into town in a light misty rain.  



There were quite a few of these planters in Orkney and Shetland.  Love them. 

I had one more thing to do before I left Scalloway and that was visiting the Cornerstone cafe.  While everyone else seemed to be enjoying a late lunch or tea and cake yours truly had something else entirely.  Well it was five o'clock somewhere!!! 


There was more in that than tonic water!  

Then it was back to Lerwick and an evening tucked up in my cozy room.  

I felt Scalloway was worth the trip just for the interesting museum especially if you are a history buff like me.  











Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Peeing on fish or a fish out of water

Well this morning we headed off by boat to Siem Reap.  Due to the low water on the Tonie Sap Lake (more like a river until near the end of the trip when it widened considerably) the trip would be an 8 hour one... It was supposed to be boring but ended up as anything but...in no certain order...let's see.... We had a rest stop (turned out to be the only one) along the way and the loo was just a hole over the lake and there were fish circling around underneath.  Yes it was just a hole in the floor...you definitely had someone watch your stuff while you went in or one false move and your camera/purse or whatever would be in the lake.  The fish either like the warm pee coming in or they are pervs and like to see ladies parts.  We were just a few minutes out when all of a sudden there was something flying over me and jumping all over the floor - a little fish!  Guess he wanted to join the tour.  Roger reached down and scooped him up while I hooted and hollered.  Okay it wasn&#

A walk along the coffin trail (and a couple of lakes) in the Lake District

While in the Lake District I wanted to do some light walking but not heavy duty hiking where I could easily get lost and my body not found for days partially eaten by hungry...sheep?  Anyway, you get the drift...not too grueling and safe for a solo walker.  I get a bit nervous when I am too far from civilization. There are lots of books about walking in the Lake District but they seem to be all about walking the fells in remote places...neither Thelma nor I fancied that.  While browsing in the post office/shop in Ambleside one day (if you are ever in Ambleside you must go there - a treasure!) I found a stand of walk descriptions on post cards.  And there I found my walk.  After all who could resist a stroll on the "coffin trail" in William Wordsworth country... I took a look and thought hmm...cafe along the route...that works for me. (with at least the security of knowing there was an available "loo" along the way.)  Okay, I may not have totally followed the

The highlights of my Fall 2023 trip

I'm back home after a great six weeks away. This was a "short" trip for me.  So here we go with an overview of my trip.   London London for me is always a good idea.  I fell in love with it back in the mid 70's and it's been calling me back ever since. Some of the best things in my life have happened in London.  When I learned my two Oz friends Loraine and Linda were going to be in London in the fall I knew I had to be there.  And what fun we had!!  Of course, I did loads of other things as well.  I spent two weeks there from mid September until very early October and then back again for four nights at the end of October before flying home.   After over five years (delayed for two and a half years thanks to Covid) of walking, I finally finished the 126 km Capital Ring.  The picture above is taken at the end of my walk and where I started in May of 2018 at the main door of Streatham Common station just steps from my B and B.  What a walk!  I got to see so much more