Skip to main content

Bopping (not) around Bergen, Norway

All too soon it was time to leave Shetland and head for my next destination - Bergen, Norway!!!  As usual, I didn't sleep well the night before I was due to leave - with all my traveling I am still uptight the night before especially if I have an early flight.  I'm not worried about the flight - it's missing the flight!  I am one of those people who likes to get to the airport really early. To make matters worse I also had a bad cough that had started the night before.   

Luckily the stop for the #6 bus to the airport was just across the road from my B and B.  Less than an hour later I was at the airport.  

How adorable is this plane?  I was very impressed with Logan Air and hope to use it again someday. (the Isle of Man is calling me!)  

Goodbye Shetland!!  Add another place in this world that has my heart. 

Logan Air endeared itself to me even more when I got a Tunnocks Caramel wafer biscuit.  And I had the row all to myself!! 


Hellooo Norway!!!  As the flight was just over an hour long I opted for a window seat and I'm so glad I did.  Bergen is Norway's second-largest city with a population of almost 300,000. This was my second time in Norway.  I flew over for a long weekend from London back in 2002 with about three days in Olso and a quick overnight stay in Bergen after a Norway in a Nutshell tour that was a gong show. (Flam railway shut down and the replacement bus got a flat tire) 

My suitcase was there to meet me which is always a relief.  In nearly fifty years of frequent travel, my suitcase has arrived later than me maybe three or four times.  

I got the LRT (light rail transit) to the centre of Bergen and I was quite taken with how efficient and clean it was.  Once again this journey took nearly an hour but it was fun seeing people get on and off and have a quick look at the 'burbs as we slid past. 


I opted to stay at a branch of the Scandic Hotel close to the Hurtigruten terminal for the next two nights.  As it was early afternoon I decided to have a walk around even though I wasn't feeling that great with a lot of coughing and feeling very tired from lack of sleep. The covid test I had taken the night before was negative.  I had still taken the precaution of wearing an N95 mask on my flight - I was one of the few that did so.  I am so relieved I did that. 

This is the Sailors Monument in central Bergen.

The fish market was bustling - I remember on my last trip it was much quieter and I had some delicious fish soup.  That didn't appeal to me today.  




Bryggen is one of the oldest parts of Bergen and means the wharf or the quayside in Norwegian.  Now the old buildings are mostly restaurants and shops catering to tourists. 


I do love these beautiful old buildings.  


I was a bit peckish so had to try a traditional hotdog and yes it was made of reindeer meat (sorry Rudolph!) and I opted for the (also) traditional topping of fried onions, mustard and lingonberry jam.  It was delish. I like to try the local food wherever I am. 

This was taken looking across the harbour towards Bryggen. 

Normally, me and my camera would be prowling the streets taking loads of photos and getting that beautiful buzz I love when exploring a new(ish) city. However, all I wanted to do was get back to the hotel and into bed.  I was absolutely exhausted.  

Another night of coughing and fitful sleep and upon waking I took another test and...


Well, damn!! It was immediate panic as I was due to board my coastal journey the next day.  Would they even let me on? I tried contacting Hurtigruten from the phone in my room but as it was Sunday no one was there.  I  messaged them on Facebook and was told to text a specific number which I did. While my UK SIM did not allow phone calls I could text within Europe. After waiting anxiously for a reply I was told that there were no restrictions in Norway and I could either cancel and be booked on another trip or I could come on board.  Being as I was already there I decided if they didn't care I'd go on board. I would just wear a mask and not eat or socialize with others for as long as I was positive. 

The sun was shining so I thought "get out there Laurie and do what you can do"  So I put on my mask and off I went. I honestly didn't have the energy to stay out long.  I think I know every bench in Bergen on a first-name basis.  




I loved this lake right in the centre of Bergen.  


This is the beautiful Music Pavilion in Byparken in central Bergen. 

After a couple of hours of wandering I was exhausted so after a stop at 7-Eleven to pick up a sandwich, I headed back to my hotel.  I have to say that 7-Eleven stores in Scandinavia are superb.  I don't even go into 7-Eleven at home but in Scandinavia  I quite often popped in.  For one thing, the pastries are top quality.  (oink!) and so are the sandwiches. 

I had so many plans for Bergen but I just did not feel up to much.  I was very lightheaded and exhausted due to the incessant coughing that kept me awake much of the night.   Oh well, that's life.  Trust me to get covid in a place (I am looking at you Shetland) that has more sheep than people. 

Needless to say it was an early night for me.  

The next morning I donned another N95 mask and headed over to the hotel restaurant.  Breakfast was included with my stay. I was staying in a different building just across the street from the hotel.  The breakfast buffet was amazing but I wasn't too hungry plus I knew I had to haul my tray over to the room so restrained myself. I managed to get to my room without dropping or spilling anything thanks to automatic doors.   I rested in my room until the noon check out leaving my suitcase and daypack in a luggage room.  

I was "homeless" now until I boarded the ship later that afternoon.  Looking at a map I saw that there was a park by the sea not too far away so off I went.  A sane person would have rested but I've never claimed to be sane.  And where would I have rested?  I figured I could find a nice quiet bench by the sea and read for a bit.





I followed the tourist map I had and came across this.  Of course, I rested on this bench - how often do you see a public bench with a lace doily and plant on it?  


Nordnes park is a beauty. 



Of the things I expected to see in this park a Totem Pole was not one of them!  It was gifted to the city by its twin city Seattle to celebrate Bergen's 900th anniversary.  



I plopped myself on a bench and sat here for over an hour reading my Kindle and looking up now and again and sighing with happiness at my view.  






I made my way slowly back to the city centre to find a pharmacy.  I needed cough syrup and lozenges.  

Then I headed back to the hotel to retrieve my luggage and made my way to the Hurtigurten ship terminal which was about a fifteen-minute walk away.  It was time to head off on my long awaited twelve-day adventure up the coast of Norway!  

However, that will have to wait for the next post.

Despite not feeling 100% I still enjoyed my time in Bergen.  It is definitely one of the prettiest cities I have visited in Europe.  

  




















Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Peeing on fish or a fish out of water

Well this morning we headed off by boat to Siem Reap.  Due to the low water on the Tonie Sap Lake (more like a river until near the end of the trip when it widened considerably) the trip would be an 8 hour one... It was supposed to be boring but ended up as anything but...in no certain order...let's see.... We had a rest stop (turned out to be the only one) along the way and the loo was just a hole over the lake and there were fish circling around underneath.  Yes it was just a hole in the floor...you definitely had someone watch your stuff while you went in or one false move and your camera/purse or whatever would be in the lake.  The fish either like the warm pee coming in or they are pervs and like to see ladies parts.  We were just a few minutes out when all of a sudden there was something flying over me and jumping all over the floor - a little fish!  Guess he wanted to join the tour.  Roger reached down and scooped him up while I hooted and hollered.  Okay it wasn&#

A walk along the coffin trail (and a couple of lakes) in the Lake District

While in the Lake District I wanted to do some light walking but not heavy duty hiking where I could easily get lost and my body not found for days partially eaten by hungry...sheep?  Anyway, you get the drift...not too grueling and safe for a solo walker.  I get a bit nervous when I am too far from civilization. There are lots of books about walking in the Lake District but they seem to be all about walking the fells in remote places...neither Thelma nor I fancied that.  While browsing in the post office/shop in Ambleside one day (if you are ever in Ambleside you must go there - a treasure!) I found a stand of walk descriptions on post cards.  And there I found my walk.  After all who could resist a stroll on the "coffin trail" in William Wordsworth country... I took a look and thought hmm...cafe along the route...that works for me. (with at least the security of knowing there was an available "loo" along the way.)  Okay, I may not have totally followed the

The highlights of my Fall 2023 trip

I'm back home after a great six weeks away. This was a "short" trip for me.  So here we go with an overview of my trip.   London London for me is always a good idea.  I fell in love with it back in the mid 70's and it's been calling me back ever since. Some of the best things in my life have happened in London.  When I learned my two Oz friends Loraine and Linda were going to be in London in the fall I knew I had to be there.  And what fun we had!!  Of course, I did loads of other things as well.  I spent two weeks there from mid September until very early October and then back again for four nights at the end of October before flying home.   After over five years (delayed for two and a half years thanks to Covid) of walking, I finally finished the 126 km Capital Ring.  The picture above is taken at the end of my walk and where I started in May of 2018 at the main door of Streatham Common station just steps from my B and B.  What a walk!  I got to see so much more