Skip to main content

Being back in London means being back on the Capital Ring - Hendon Park to Finsbury Park (in two days)

After my journey up and down the Norwegian coast with Hurtigruten I flew back to London on September 10th. It was time to get back on the Capital Ring.  Yes, I am obsessed but I have been walking this 126 km (78 mile) walking path that winds around the suburbs of London for a few years now everytime I venture over.  Anybody who doesn't explore outside of central London is really missing out is all I can say.  In typical Laurie fashion, I hit the ground running and took in a play the evening I arrived.  "The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel" was having a run at the Richmond Theatre in SW London and one of the actors was Hayley Mills!  Those of us who grew up in the 60s certainly remember that name.  Of course, I had seen the movie and this adaptation was really good.  

I got to Richmond early and had a look around before the performance.  I've been to Richmond numerous times including walking on the Capital Ring!! 





It was a lovely summer evening and even the dog looked like it was enjoying the cricket!  Richmond is a lovely place - my dream is to find a petsitting job there someday so I can explore the area even more.  


Then it was time for the performance..



Sorry no pictures of Hayley Mills...no pictures allowed during the performance and I was too tired to wait at a stage door....guess I am getting old!! 

The next morning after a good helping of Claudia's Sunday pancakes I was off on the tube to Hendon Central to carry on along the Capital Ring. 


Can you guess what Durex is advertising?  Better safe than sorry I guess!!! 


It was three days after the Queen had died.  

After arriving at Hendron Central station I headed over to Hendon Park where I had finished a section of the walk  in July.  This was the Holocaust park. 


I was still tired from the whole covid thing and sat my lazy butt down on a bench almost as soon as I had started. It was a long haul to even get to the start point as I was in South London and this was North London.  But what a view!!!


I thought these looked quaint - the description of what they actually are is in my Capital Ring guidebook and that's currently sitting in a bag in Claudia's box room in Streatham!!  


Luckily it was only a few minutes walk along this busy road. 


And then back into the peace and quiet. 


This was the route I had been waiting for as it was on "home turf" for me.  I used to stay in Hampstead Garden Suburb (very posh) in a lovely B and B for many years.  I discovered "Iolanthe" in 2004 and stayed there on every trip until 2015. I was such a regular fixture that when they were redoing the house they invited me to stay in their private part of the house at no charge. (I insisted on paying)  I loved my little room overlooking the park and the family who ran it.  However, when they redid the bathrooms they put clawfoot tubs in with no shower access. (previously there had been tubs with showers in)  The shower cord was a short one that you had to sit down to use.  With my knees, I have to do showers these days or I might have to call 911 or 999 (depending what country) to get me out!!  Otherwise who knows I still might be staying there...then again if I had stayed there I wouldn't have met three special friends so it all worked out in the end.  I do miss my lovely view though and my walk to the tube station in the picture below.



Anyway, enough reminiscing - I carried onto the Dollis Valley Greenwalk (next long walk?) which was part of the Capital Ring. 



I was soon in Northway Gardens. 



I sat here for a while just enjoying the beautiful flowers. 


I then stopped at Toulouse Cafe which was busy with families having Sunday brunch.  I ordered a cup of tea (too strong) and a cake (dry!)  


I would see this place on the little H2 bus (when I was lazy or it was too cold) to go to Golders Green tube station and always wanted to try it but never did. 

I set off again. 



I thought these houses were lovely but by this time I was sitting down every chance I got.  Hampstead Garden Suburb, a planned suburb was the brainchild of Henrietta Barnett and was originally a place where all "classes" could live together.  Needless to say it is only for the very rich these days.  My Bed and Breakfast hosts Rosie and Simon inherited it from her grandparents.  It is such an interesting area to visit. 


When I walked by East Finchley station the lure of getting on the tube was too much and I gave in.  I noted in my journal that I was disappointed in myself but I just could not go on.  

I finally got back on the Ring after a six-day hiatus which involved a "maintenance" day of going for a pedicure and doing a bit of shopping, spending the day with my friend Amanda who came down to London, showing London off to my friend Shirley from home and her two cousins as well visiting the floral tribute in Green Park and then revisiting the floral tribute the next day with my B and B host and friend Claudia.  

Finally, on September 17th I headed back to East Finchley station to carry on. 


The archer on the underground station's roof is a tribute to the hunting area that was once here.  


And off I go again! 



Checking out the doggie internet (token dog picture) 


I resisted (for now!) even though I'm partial to a park cafe...



There was a "woodsy" walk today which I love.  I had been in Highgate woods a few times before and it never gets old.  



In the midst of the woods was this granite Victorian drinking fountain.  Quote from the side of the fountain by Samuel Coleridge below.  



Finsbury Park here I come! 



Even though I had a guidebook with me it's always good to see the Capital Ring signs because let's face it,  I get misplaced very easily. 


The path led me to Highgate and after turning a few corners I was at the Parkland walk.  This beautiful rails-to-trails path was once a train route between Finsbury Park and Alexandra Palace.  I have walked it before and loved it so was really looking forward to walking it again.  Bonus: no hills!! 



Here we are at the former Crouch End station. 


This guy pops out at you right after the bridge at Crouch End station. It is known as a "Spriggin".  These are woodland creatures from Cornish folklore. It was the first of what was supposed to be many sculptures along this trail. Spoiler alert: the rest didn't happen.  The sculptor Marilyn Collins was inspired by an urban legend that a goat man haunted the trail in the 70's and 80's.  Local children dared each other to walk the path at night to try and find him.  It's said that Stephen King was possibly inspired by this urban legend when he wrote the short story "Crouch End" in 1980.  


Another disused railway station


A quick peek from a bridge shows the Shard in the distance. 


Finally, in Finsbury Park I treated myself to a bacon and egg bap in the park cafe. And this is why I am a chubby walker!!  But I was hungry!! (who am I kidding, I can always eat) 



I found my way over to the nearby Manor House underground station (getting a bit misplaced on the way because that's my specialty) and gratefully crashed onto a seat on a bus back to London Bridge.  I was lucky to snag a seat at the very front of the top deck and enjoyed views of Hackney I had never seen before.  Then back on the train to Streatham.   

It took me two days to do a walk I could normally do in one but I did it and that's the main thing.  I'd be back on the trail a few days later because I am addicted to this very interesting and beautiful trail around my beloved London.  













Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Peeing on fish or a fish out of water

Well this morning we headed off by boat to Siem Reap.  Due to the low water on the Tonie Sap Lake (more like a river until near the end of the trip when it widened considerably) the trip would be an 8 hour one... It was supposed to be boring but ended up as anything but...in no certain order...let's see.... We had a rest stop (turned out to be the only one) along the way and the loo was just a hole over the lake and there were fish circling around underneath.  Yes it was just a hole in the floor...you definitely had someone watch your stuff while you went in or one false move and your camera/purse or whatever would be in the lake.  The fish either like the warm pee coming in or they are pervs and like to see ladies parts.  We were just a few minutes out when all of a sudden there was something flying over me and jumping all over the floor - a little fish!  Guess he wanted to join the tour.  Roger reached down and scooped him up while I hooted and hollered.  Okay it wasn&#

A walk along the coffin trail (and a couple of lakes) in the Lake District

While in the Lake District I wanted to do some light walking but not heavy duty hiking where I could easily get lost and my body not found for days partially eaten by hungry...sheep?  Anyway, you get the drift...not too grueling and safe for a solo walker.  I get a bit nervous when I am too far from civilization. There are lots of books about walking in the Lake District but they seem to be all about walking the fells in remote places...neither Thelma nor I fancied that.  While browsing in the post office/shop in Ambleside one day (if you are ever in Ambleside you must go there - a treasure!) I found a stand of walk descriptions on post cards.  And there I found my walk.  After all who could resist a stroll on the "coffin trail" in William Wordsworth country... I took a look and thought hmm...cafe along the route...that works for me. (with at least the security of knowing there was an available "loo" along the way.)  Okay, I may not have totally followed the

The highlights of my Fall 2023 trip

I'm back home after a great six weeks away. This was a "short" trip for me.  So here we go with an overview of my trip.   London London for me is always a good idea.  I fell in love with it back in the mid 70's and it's been calling me back ever since. Some of the best things in my life have happened in London.  When I learned my two Oz friends Loraine and Linda were going to be in London in the fall I knew I had to be there.  And what fun we had!!  Of course, I did loads of other things as well.  I spent two weeks there from mid September until very early October and then back again for four nights at the end of October before flying home.   After over five years (delayed for two and a half years thanks to Covid) of walking, I finally finished the 126 km Capital Ring.  The picture above is taken at the end of my walk and where I started in May of 2018 at the main door of Streatham Common station just steps from my B and B.  What a walk!  I got to see so much more