Skip to main content

A walk around Gloucester, England

We are jumping back to the autumn of 2022 for this post. What can I say..I need to write more and travel less...naaa....

While I went to Gloucester (pronounced "Gloster") it was to trace my roots  My grandfather was born in the Gloucester area and I visited various sites from his childhood as well as visiting graves of his family.  That will be a different post  though.

So welcome to Gloucester which is the county town of Gloucestershire with a population of around 120,000 in the city itself.  This "walk" will be a combination of what I saw rambling around the city. 

I had booked an Airbnb just a ten-minute walk out of the city centre.   I didn't meet the owners until the end of my nine-day stay as they were away on a holiday.  My room and the facilities were great but I did miss having a television.  





A "do it yourself" breakfast awaited me every morning. I loved that blue tea kettle!!  A long-term guest who is a medical student at the local university was in charge of the house while the host family was away and we had some pleasant conversations if we happened to be in the kitchen at the same time. 

On the first day as I headed into town I happened to glance right down a side street and saw this...




In the summer of 2020 local artist Tash Frootko transformed (with the owners' permission) forty of the fifty-four houses on St Mark's Street with bright colours.  It is now known as Rainbow Street. There are a couple of other streets that have been done up the same - I loved it!  The original colour is a dreary grey. I'm sure in the depths of the pandemic lockdown this would have provided some cheer to the residents. 

My very first stop was the beautiful Gloucester Cathedral.  There was an Abbey on this site since 681 and the present building was dedicated in 1100.  


I approached the Cathedral through this gate and of course I had to pop into the Beatrix Potter shop.  



Token dog photo



Gloucester Cathedral was featured in one or more of the Harry Potter movies so I'm told.  The cloisters are the earliest surviving of that type in England and date from the 14th century.  




This is the tomb of Robert the Duke of Normandy who was Edward the Conquerer's son.  


This is the tomb of King Edward II, a very unpopular King who was murdered at Berkley Castle in 1327. 


This is a monument to Elizabeth Williams who died in childbirth in 1622 at the age of 17.  Her baby (who lived just long enough to be baptized) is beside her.  She was the daughter of Miles Smith, Bishop of Gloucester from 1612 to 1624.  Her sister Margerie Clent also died in childbirth and if that wasn't enough three out of four of the Bishop's sons died in 1647 fighting for Charles I.  This monument is referred to as The Tragic Sisters even though it features only one of them. 




The picture above was taken in the Chapter House where the monks would meet to discuss the business of the monastery.  The Chapter House itself dates from the Norman period although the stained glass is more contemporary.  

Okay let's go outside and get some fresh air. 


This gargoyle on the outside of the cathedral looks like it has a soother in its mouth!!!   From the look on its face I don't think I'd want to tell it that!  


The grounds of the Cathedral were quite lovely as well. 




These ruins of St Oswald's Priory founded around 880 are situated close to the Cathedral. 


Sadly the building on the right is derelict as I think it's absolutely beautiful.  The middle is another Cathedral gate. 


These buildings were gorgeous as well but not much going on inside them.  I'm sure it would cost a fortune to restore them. 


This is the Bishop Hooper memorial.   John Hooper was a Bishop who travelled the continent promoting Protestantism and suffered a horrific death when burned at the stake under the reign of "Bloody Mary".  Ah religion...so very peaceful isn't it.


Time for lunch!  While the chips were good this giant yorkshire pudding won't go into the records as one of the best ones I've had.  


I tried the fish and chips here one evening and yes, they were very good. 



I found this beautiful wall nearby. 


I made my way over to Gloucester's docks.  There are museums and shops and most importantly coffee shops.  



People live year-round on their narrow boats here.  




These are the remains of a Tudor-era church of Franciscan "Grey Friars".  The church was founded in 1231 but rebuilt in the mid-16th century.  Once again these are in the middle of the city and people walk by every day like it is nothing.  Sometimes my head wants to explode with all the history around me in Britain and Europe.  




This area is known as Rainbow Square. 


While Gloucester will never be one of my favourite cities I did enjoy my time there and of course it is special to me because of my family connection.  I hope you enjoyed our short stroll around.  
























Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Peeing on fish or a fish out of water

Well this morning we headed off by boat to Siem Reap.  Due to the low water on the Tonie Sap Lake (more like a river until near the end of the trip when it widened considerably) the trip would be an 8 hour one... It was supposed to be boring but ended up as anything but...in no certain order...let's see.... We had a rest stop (turned out to be the only one) along the way and the loo was just a hole over the lake and there were fish circling around underneath.  Yes it was just a hole in the floor...you definitely had someone watch your stuff while you went in or one false move and your camera/purse or whatever would be in the lake.  The fish either like the warm pee coming in or they are pervs and like to see ladies parts.  We were just a few minutes out when all of a sudden there was something flying over me and jumping all over the floor - a little fish!  Guess he wanted to join the tour.  Roger reached down and scooped him up while I hooted and hollered.  Okay it wasn&#

A walk along the coffin trail (and a couple of lakes) in the Lake District

While in the Lake District I wanted to do some light walking but not heavy duty hiking where I could easily get lost and my body not found for days partially eaten by hungry...sheep?  Anyway, you get the drift...not too grueling and safe for a solo walker.  I get a bit nervous when I am too far from civilization. There are lots of books about walking in the Lake District but they seem to be all about walking the fells in remote places...neither Thelma nor I fancied that.  While browsing in the post office/shop in Ambleside one day (if you are ever in Ambleside you must go there - a treasure!) I found a stand of walk descriptions on post cards.  And there I found my walk.  After all who could resist a stroll on the "coffin trail" in William Wordsworth country... I took a look and thought hmm...cafe along the route...that works for me. (with at least the security of knowing there was an available "loo" along the way.)  Okay, I may not have totally followed the

The highlights of my Fall 2023 trip

I'm back home after a great six weeks away. This was a "short" trip for me.  So here we go with an overview of my trip.   London London for me is always a good idea.  I fell in love with it back in the mid 70's and it's been calling me back ever since. Some of the best things in my life have happened in London.  When I learned my two Oz friends Loraine and Linda were going to be in London in the fall I knew I had to be there.  And what fun we had!!  Of course, I did loads of other things as well.  I spent two weeks there from mid September until very early October and then back again for four nights at the end of October before flying home.   After over five years (delayed for two and a half years thanks to Covid) of walking, I finally finished the 126 km Capital Ring.  The picture above is taken at the end of my walk and where I started in May of 2018 at the main door of Streatham Common station just steps from my B and B.  What a walk!  I got to see so much more