Skip to main content

Sauntering around Sorrento

 Okay I didn't exactly saunter but it makes a catchy title doesn't it?  

The Arrival

Fifty years of solo travel has made me pretty confident but I have to confess I was a bit nervous of Naples Airport and the journey to Sorrento.  It would involve a train into the city and another one out to Sorrento.  I had read of people being robbed in Naples and on the train. The Airbnb I was looking at was discarded and I decided to go with a package through EasyJet that would pick me up at the airport and take me right to my hotel..  As I'm frugal and was on a three-month journey I decided to go with one of the cheaper options. The Hotel Jaccarino was nice enough with a big buffet breakfast (included) every morning however it was in the town of Sant' Agata Du Golfi high in the hills above Sorrento.  Luckily there was a shuttle bus that took guests back and forth.  However I had to book it ahead the evening before taking a wild guess on how long I would be out that day.  One day they forgot me and I had to go to a local restaurant and get them to call the hotel. Why not use my phone?  Only data worked in Italy with my UK SIM...not phone calls.   Luckily I had the hotel business card in my wallet. ALWAYS carry the business card of your hotel...I learned that the very hard way in Puno, Peru!!! (worth reading to have a laugh at my expense - makes for a funny story now but at the time I was sh*tting myself) 


The very first picture I took in Italy was the view from my window!!  

I would do an Easy Jet package (which includes airfare, transport to and from the airport and the hotel) again if the location was convenient.  

Sorrento proved to be a great base for exploring the Amalfi Coast as well as visiting nearby Pompeii (the reason I came to this part of Italy) and Herculaneum.  I'll be writing about my visits to both those places eventually. 

The shuttle dropped us in a street a short walk away from the main pedestrian street of Corso Italia.  I made sure I took pictures of the route to and from Corso Italia as there are lots of little narrow streets in the area and we know how easily I get misplaced.  


Of course, being a "misplaced Ocean child" (that was second contender for the name of my blog) I was immediately drawn to the sea on my very first day in Sorrento.  This seagull was something else.  I'm sure it was hoping for food but it posed for photos I swear and believe me there was almost a lineup of people to have their picture taken with it once they found out he just stood there happily posing instead of flying away like any sane bird would have.  


18 months later I like to think it's still posing for tourists and having its photos spread all over the world.  What a character! 



I didn't take any tours during my week based in Sorrento - I just kind of wandered freestyle.  Tours are free but really, how much do we actually retain?  Or is it just me?  In other words, I have no clue now what that building is but I thought it was pretty. 


While it wasn't boiling hot, walking around is thirsty work.  I enjoyed this lemon drink.  While I have never disliked lemon it just wasn't a flavour I would normally go for.  Since Sorrento that has changed and I love the Italian lemon carbonated drinks - yeah, I know they're not good for me but whatever...


Anyway a few steps away was this view....it was worth paying the inflated price of the drink to be able to relax and look out at the beautiful azure-coloured sea. The adjoining Villa Communale park has benches to sit and relax with a view of the sea.  

I then walked for about fifteen minutes to the former fishing village of Marina Grande.  


  Down the steps and then...


you see this jaw-dropping view. 


Many of the restaurants feature clam linguine so I had to give it a try.  I enjoyed it but not sure I'd have it again. 


However, I absolutely loved the location of my table. 


Marina Grande is definitely worth the walk. 



There are some cute back streets to explore. 



And you can even go for a dip in the water.  


Then it was back up the stairs, through the tunnel and up more stairs to walk back to Centro. 


Shopping galore!!!  I did resist buying any blue clothes but only because they seemed the kind of fabric you had to iron.  I gave up that nasty pasttime a long time ago. 


There was plenty of lemon-themed tourist tat around and I plead guilty to buying myself some ceramic salad tongs as well as a few gifts. 


Guess this was the pigeon water fountain.  


Europe always blows me away with its ornate fountains - simple but gorgeous. 


There were lots of narrow lanes for wandering.  You could either shop or on the quieter ones have a snoop at some local homes.  



This is the pedestrian-friendly Corsa Italia.  


Token dog photo.  I couldn't believe seeing this dog walking slightly ahead of its owner carrying a package of meat.  My dog and many others I know would have had that package ripped open and  the meat down their gullet in seconds flat.  

Speaking of food...Sorrento was a foodie's paradise.  I alternated between pizza and pasta all week long and I was in utter heaven.  



I think it would be hard to find a bad pizza in that area.  PSA:  this pizza was not consumed on the same day as the clam pasta.  I'm not that greedy!! 





Lemon ice cream..of course! 



This sandwich was the exception to the pizza/pasta rule and oh my goodness it was the best sandwich ever.  

I bought a bottle of limoncello and every night I would have a shot or two.  This had dire effects after my day in Pompeii but that's a story for another post. 


This is the Sedile Dominova.


This art exhibit also featured beautiful inlaid wood furniture that Sorrento is famous for.  There were a few shops that sold it.  It was beautiful but pricey. 


Oh yes, I bought this lemon shot glass for myself as well.  

I hope you enjoyed this short walk.  

Sorrento makes a good base for exploring the Amalfi coast with buses and trains going up and down the coast.  

More Italy content coming shortly.  














Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Peeing on fish or a fish out of water

Well this morning we headed off by boat to Siem Reap.  Due to the low water on the Tonie Sap Lake (more like a river until near the end of the trip when it widened considerably) the trip would be an 8 hour one... It was supposed to be boring but ended up as anything but...in no certain order...let's see.... We had a rest stop (turned out to be the only one) along the way and the loo was just a hole over the lake and there were fish circling around underneath.  Yes it was just a hole in the floor...you definitely had someone watch your stuff while you went in or one false move and your camera/purse or whatever would be in the lake.  The fish either like the warm pee coming in or they are pervs and like to see ladies parts.  We were just a few minutes out when all of a sudden there was something flying over me and jumping all over the floor - a little fish!  Guess he wanted to join the tour.  Roger reached down and scooped him up while I hooted and hollered.  Okay it wasn&#

A walk along the coffin trail (and a couple of lakes) in the Lake District

While in the Lake District I wanted to do some light walking but not heavy duty hiking where I could easily get lost and my body not found for days partially eaten by hungry...sheep?  Anyway, you get the drift...not too grueling and safe for a solo walker.  I get a bit nervous when I am too far from civilization. There are lots of books about walking in the Lake District but they seem to be all about walking the fells in remote places...neither Thelma nor I fancied that.  While browsing in the post office/shop in Ambleside one day (if you are ever in Ambleside you must go there - a treasure!) I found a stand of walk descriptions on post cards.  And there I found my walk.  After all who could resist a stroll on the "coffin trail" in William Wordsworth country... I took a look and thought hmm...cafe along the route...that works for me. (with at least the security of knowing there was an available "loo" along the way.)  Okay, I may not have totally followed the

The highlights of my Fall 2023 trip

I'm back home after a great six weeks away. This was a "short" trip for me.  So here we go with an overview of my trip.   London London for me is always a good idea.  I fell in love with it back in the mid 70's and it's been calling me back ever since. Some of the best things in my life have happened in London.  When I learned my two Oz friends Loraine and Linda were going to be in London in the fall I knew I had to be there.  And what fun we had!!  Of course, I did loads of other things as well.  I spent two weeks there from mid September until very early October and then back again for four nights at the end of October before flying home.   After over five years (delayed for two and a half years thanks to Covid) of walking, I finally finished the 126 km Capital Ring.  The picture above is taken at the end of my walk and where I started in May of 2018 at the main door of Streatham Common station just steps from my B and B.  What a walk!  I got to see so much more