Skip to main content

A beautiful day out at Lulworth Cove and Durdle Door in Dorset

In late October 2022 I based myself in the seaside town of Weymouth in Dorset at a lovely Bed and Breakfast right across from the beach with the harbour behind. The Anchorage was a great place to stay with friendly hosts and delicious breakfasts.  As well, there was a great view of the beach from my room. 


I'll be writing about my other adventures in the area but this post is about my day out at Lulworth Cove and Durdle Door on the Jurassic Coast.  These are two places I had dreamed about visiting for a few years.  

So on a sunny Monday morning, I boarded the X54 bus to Lulworth Cove. 



Of course I had to climb up to the top deck of the bus.  

Forty-five minutes later I was dropped off at Lulworth Cove village. 



This is Stair Hole which is comprised of blow holes, arches and caves that were created through years of erosion.  

Looking back at Lulworth Cove village.  As well as tourist facilities there are private homes. 


Continuing along up the path gave me a great view of Lulworth Cove.  


Looking down at Lulworth Cove. 


Then I made my way back down the path to the Visitor Centre.  I really wanted to see Durdle Door and while there is a bus stop there there are no facilities other than a van selling food and a toilet. (in season)  I chatted with the woman at tourist information about the path leading over to Durdle Door as I was a bit nervous and finally talked myself into it.  I can take the elevator to the tallest building in the world (and I have) and it doesn't bother me but ask me to climb anything and I freak out.  Those darn balance issues.  I am so happy I did this hike. 



I had my foldable hiking pole with me and it was a lifesaver.  As I mentioned earlier I have balance issues and I need the support of the pole to get up some stairs if there are no hand rails although as you can see these were low steps and infrequent.  




Looking back down to Lulworth Cove.  




Almost there!!  


Starting down the path to Durdle Door. 



The path descended for a bit and behold...


Meet Durdle Door!!  It is probably the most iconic landscape in Dorset and is totally made out of limestone.  


Windblown hair - I don't care!!  I was just so happy to be here.  



The path continued on as it is part of the South West Coast Path which is 630 miles across Cornwall, Devon, Dorset and Somerset.  I'll pass on that one! 

You can take the stairs down to the beach but I was pretty tired and thought I'd focus my energies on getting back to Lulworth Cove.  I had heard the stairs were pretty bad but I found out later they had recently put in new ones.  I stood there for a long while just admiring the view until it was time to head back on the path to Lulworth Cove for a bite to eat.  


There were even cows grazing along side the trail!!  


This part of the path taking you to Durdle Door is quite steep so I was glad I had my pole with me.  


There is a trailer park near Durdle Door and of course a parking lot.  
 

When I got back I walked right down to the cove.  





Yes I did try the crab and lobster burger and it was delish!!!  I was lucky enough to snag a spot at a picnic bench right by the water. Utter bliss! 

Then it was time to head back to Weymouth. 

I had to take a picture of this iconic British scene which was right by the bus stop.  



Then back to Weymouth on the X54 Coaster.  What a fabulous day!!!  

If you use public transit you can get off the bus near Durdle Door although you have to walk in and keep in mind there are not many facilities there. You can then walk one way to Lulworth Cove village.  The village has gift shops, tourist information, pubs, cafes and toilets.  Bus service during my time there was only every two to three hours but that may be different in the high season.  The path between Lulworth Cove and Durdle Door is doable for anyone with moderate fitness.  You have to agree that the views are fantastic.  

I highly recommend visiting this beautiful area of Dorset.  












 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Peeing on fish or a fish out of water

Well this morning we headed off by boat to Siem Reap.  Due to the low water on the Tonie Sap Lake (more like a river until near the end of the trip when it widened considerably) the trip would be an 8 hour one... It was supposed to be boring but ended up as anything but...in no certain order...let's see.... We had a rest stop (turned out to be the only one) along the way and the loo was just a hole over the lake and there were fish circling around underneath.  Yes it was just a hole in the floor...you definitely had someone watch your stuff while you went in or one false move and your camera/purse or whatever would be in the lake.  The fish either like the warm pee coming in or they are pervs and like to see ladies parts.  We were just a few minutes out when all of a sudden there was something flying over me and jumping all over the floor - a little fish!  Guess he wanted to join the tour.  Roger reached down and scooped him up while I hooted and hollered.  Okay it wasn&#

A walk along the coffin trail (and a couple of lakes) in the Lake District

While in the Lake District I wanted to do some light walking but not heavy duty hiking where I could easily get lost and my body not found for days partially eaten by hungry...sheep?  Anyway, you get the drift...not too grueling and safe for a solo walker.  I get a bit nervous when I am too far from civilization. There are lots of books about walking in the Lake District but they seem to be all about walking the fells in remote places...neither Thelma nor I fancied that.  While browsing in the post office/shop in Ambleside one day (if you are ever in Ambleside you must go there - a treasure!) I found a stand of walk descriptions on post cards.  And there I found my walk.  After all who could resist a stroll on the "coffin trail" in William Wordsworth country... I took a look and thought hmm...cafe along the route...that works for me. (with at least the security of knowing there was an available "loo" along the way.)  Okay, I may not have totally followed the

The highlights of my Fall 2023 trip

I'm back home after a great six weeks away. This was a "short" trip for me.  So here we go with an overview of my trip.   London London for me is always a good idea.  I fell in love with it back in the mid 70's and it's been calling me back ever since. Some of the best things in my life have happened in London.  When I learned my two Oz friends Loraine and Linda were going to be in London in the fall I knew I had to be there.  And what fun we had!!  Of course, I did loads of other things as well.  I spent two weeks there from mid September until very early October and then back again for four nights at the end of October before flying home.   After over five years (delayed for two and a half years thanks to Covid) of walking, I finally finished the 126 km Capital Ring.  The picture above is taken at the end of my walk and where I started in May of 2018 at the main door of Streatham Common station just steps from my B and B.  What a walk!  I got to see so much more