Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Rocking in Little Rock

Well not quite...am at the library. Hey free internet.... Just had a meal of a catfish fillet with fries and hushpuppies at the Flying Fish. It was okay - not the best I've had though.

It's clear and cool and wonderful walking weather. I did the 10km walk today and then took a trolley ride just for the heck of it. Little Rock is a nice city - visited the State Capital building (where a fellow from LA filming a TV commerical took my picture for me) and the State house.

I went to the Peabody hotel at 11 a.m. and watched the duck master bring the five ducks down to the pond from the second floor - they came toddling along - and they get a red carpet put down no less. As I am just a couple of blocks away I will go and see them go back at 5 p.m. It is very very cute.

I got a huge room - the St. Clair room - at the B & B. I forced myself to stay up an extra 90 minutes last night so I could sit and enjoy the sitting room downstairs and also my huge room. One problem....either I am having hot flashes from hell or the furnace acted up as I woke up around 3 a.m. and the place was like a sauna. I threw off the covers and drifted off until 6 when I finally had to give up. Once I was showered and dressed I opened the door to the cool hallway and it soon got back to a reasonable temperature. I told the hostess about it and she didn't seem too concerned... Breakfast was nice....little pieces of french toast with sausage - along with cut fresh fruit, oj and coffee. Sorry Dena I didn't take photos! It was not a cheap night and if I hadn't had the thing with the heat it would have been perfect. It was a huge four poster bed and so comfy - I haven't had that big of a room since the room at the Maharajah's palace in India!

I take off at 8 p.m. tonight enroute to Biloxi, Mississippi. Trouble is I have to spend the night in the Memphis bus station as the one here closes at 8 and the bus I was going to take originally left at 1:10 a.m. So I couldn't even have gotten a ticket. (even with a pass I have to get a ticket issued) And would have had to stand outside waiting for the bus...no thanks. So I get into Memphis about 10:30 and leave at 5 a.m. So can't even look around the city. Can't see spending money on a hotel for that long and no clue even where the bus station is. Probably in the 'hood.

Well of course that's all because of me being delayed that day - I was supposed to be on the bus to Montgomery, Alabama right now.

Ah well, life isn't dull.

There was a terrible storm in South Dakota and Iowa - we drove through a white out that was just brutal. I complimented the driver on her driving skills and she must have been pleased as the next driver knew about it!!! It was pretty scary and I thought I'd never make it.

But here I am...on to the next adventure.....all night in the Memphis bus station. Whoo hoo!


Anonymous said...

estay safe...hope you could find somewhere warm too

Laurie said...

I ended up finding a motel for the night - it was walking to the place that was scary. Only two blocks from the depot and I think I could have been the target of a mugging only an observant taxi driver came to my aid. I knew this guy was following me saying "hi Baby what's happening" and stuff like that. I walkied as fast as I could with luggage.

Traveling by Goat to the Western Lake District of England

That title got your attention, didn't it?  Okay, I didn't actually travel on the back of a goat...I mean the poor goat would be dea...