Skip to main content

Rocking in Little Rock


Well not quite...am at the library. Hey free internet.... Just had a meal of a catfish fillet with fries and hushpuppies at the Flying Fish. It was okay - not the best I've had though.

It's clear and cool and wonderful walking weather. I did the 10km walk today and then took a trolley ride just for the heck of it. Little Rock is a nice city - visited the State Capital building (where a fellow from LA filming a TV commerical took my picture for me) and the State house.

I went to the Peabody hotel at 11 a.m. and watched the duck master bring the five ducks down to the pond from the second floor - they came toddling along - and they get a red carpet put down no less. As I am just a couple of blocks away I will go and see them go back at 5 p.m. It is very very cute.

I got a huge room - the St. Clair room - at the B & B. I forced myself to stay up an extra 90 minutes last night so I could sit and enjoy the sitting room downstairs and also my huge room. One problem....either I am having hot flashes from hell or the furnace acted up as I woke up around 3 a.m. and the place was like a sauna. I threw off the covers and drifted off until 6 when I finally had to give up. Once I was showered and dressed I opened the door to the cool hallway and it soon got back to a reasonable temperature. I told the hostess about it and she didn't seem too concerned... Breakfast was nice....little pieces of french toast with sausage - along with cut fresh fruit, oj and coffee. Sorry Dena I didn't take photos! It was not a cheap night and if I hadn't had the thing with the heat it would have been perfect. It was a huge four poster bed and so comfy - I haven't had that big of a room since the room at the Maharajah's palace in India!

I take off at 8 p.m. tonight enroute to Biloxi, Mississippi. Trouble is I have to spend the night in the Memphis bus station as the one here closes at 8 and the bus I was going to take originally left at 1:10 a.m. So I couldn't even have gotten a ticket. (even with a pass I have to get a ticket issued) And would have had to stand outside waiting for the bus...no thanks. So I get into Memphis about 10:30 and leave at 5 a.m. So can't even look around the city. Can't see spending money on a hotel for that long and no clue even where the bus station is. Probably in the 'hood.

Well of course that's all because of me being delayed that day - I was supposed to be on the bus to Montgomery, Alabama right now.

Ah well, life isn't dull.

There was a terrible storm in South Dakota and Iowa - we drove through a white out that was just brutal. I complimented the driver on her driving skills and she must have been pleased as the next driver knew about it!!! It was pretty scary and I thought I'd never make it.

But here I am...on to the next adventure.....all night in the Memphis bus station. Whoo hoo!

Comments

Anonymous said…
estay safe...hope you could find somewhere warm too
Laurie said…
I ended up finding a motel for the night - it was walking to the place that was scary. Only two blocks from the depot and I think I could have been the target of a mugging only an observant taxi driver came to my aid. I knew this guy was following me saying "hi Baby what's happening" and stuff like that. I walkied as fast as I could with luggage.
yIKES.

Popular posts from this blog

A walk from Westminster to St Paul's Cathedral

I have decided to put the Thames Path on hold until I am back in London next month and we have more Spring like weather...I will be going into a more rural area that is prone to flooding as well.  I am staying at about five miles maximum a day as well...my knees and feet have been giving me major grief so I am not pushing myself. However that doesn't mean I don't want to walk.  One of my favourite British Walking Federation walks is one that starts at Westminster tube station and covers 10km to St Katherines Docks just east of the Tower of London.  Yesterday I walked as far as St Paul's and will do the rest of the walk in the next couple of days.  Normally I do this entire 10 km walk my first day in London but not this time... So here are some of the highlights along the way....what a gorgeous day it was.  A different view of Big Ben Can you believe this was my first time on Parliament Square Another hero on Parliament Square Classic ...

The Colourful houses of Mazatlan, Mexico

Well this isn't even Throwback Thursday and I am reminiscing about my (all too short) week in Mazatlan, Mexcico in January of 2010.  It was one of my best holidays EVER.  I stayed in a delightful little hotel called La Siesta which was on the waterfront in the central part of town.(known as centro) overlooking the ocean.   I walked around the town photographing buildings, ocean views, dogs....visited the Mercado, attended a fantastic Flamenco dance performance in the restored Teatro (theatre), toasted the sunset with a beer from my balcony every evening and ate at some wonderful restaurants.  I also took a couple of day trips which were okay but my time in Mazatlan overshadowed anything else I did. My one foray into the Gold (tourist) Zone left me horrified and scampering back to my beloved Centro.  And did I mention I did this as a solo trip?  Mexico has had a lot of bad press lately and while there ARE bad things going on there I still believe the average...

Cowboys and Outlaws in the Big Muddy of Saskatchewan

One of the (very) few advantages of being stuck at home during this pandemic has been an opportunity to see more of my home province of Saskatchewan.  Last summer and fall not only did I do a couple of day trips with friends but I took four day tours with Engelheim transport, a local Regina company.   I have to admit my favourite day out was the "Big Muddy Valley and Outlaws" tour. While I had been to the Big Muddy previously many years back I was eager to revisit and learn more of its history.   So in early October, I hopped on board and off we went.  The bus is only booked to half capacity so it was easy to social distance, hand gel was a must each time we boarded the bus,  masks were required when you got on and off the bus and in any buildings we visited.  I felt totally safe and oh my, it was so good to have an adventure!!  Despite the name the Big Muddy isn't a big huge puddle of mud but a valley of badlands that were formed from a glac...